Renault reveal R30 with new 2011 Lotus livery

2011 F1 season

Renault 2011 Lotus livery

Renault 2011 Lotus livery

Renault have revealed the first genuine photographs of their current R30 F1 car in the new 2011 Lotus livery.

It has a black-and-gold design similar to that which Tony Fernandes’s Lotus Racing team also intends to use in 2011, harking back to the John Player Special Lotuses of the 1970s and 1980s.

Renault announced this morning it will be sponsored by Lotus Cars in 2011, who have also invested in the team.

Lotus Racing and Lotus Cars are currently in dispute over the rights to the use the name “Lotus”.

Renault 2011 Lotus livery

Renault 2011 Lotus livery

Update: Another rendering of the livery:

Renault 2011 Lotus livery rendering

Renault 2011 Lotus livery rendering

Lotus naming rights row

Browse all articles on the Lotus naming rights row

131 comments on Renault reveal R30 with new 2011 Lotus livery

1. I’ve submitted 2 designs to Team Lotus (Tony Fernandes). Both a modern takes on the classic JPS. In my opinion, if you are going to use the Black&Gold livery, it needs to pay respect to its heritage. That’s what I’ve tried to achieve.

Please have a look and let me know what you think. If you like, why not show your support to Team Lotus and tweet to the guys? @themightybeard : @tonyfernandes @H_Kovalainen @MikeGascoyne

T128 “EF”: http://www.electroduo.com/LotusT128EF/
    T128 “AS”: http://www.electroduo.com/LotusT128AS/

• Grace said on 8th December 2010, 14:41

Both are epic!

I prefer the Senna influenced livery. I’m guessing there is a third livery in waiting looking at what you have put in the descriptions?

• Chris Pattison said on 8th December 2010, 15:14

Both of your designs look superb.

• Feynman said on 8th December 2010, 15:54

I think, ladies and gentlemen, this is the only appropriate response ….

… as for that clunky, ugly and petty, Renault effort, the less said the better.
      Maybe if we all ignore it, it’ll go away.

• ajokay said on 8th December 2010, 16:15

Now I’m glad I didn’t waste time entering. Both of those are stunning. I prefer the second one though.

• Adrian said on 8th December 2010, 17:20

Love the Senna influenced one!!

Makes me realise I’m not going to win that competition…I mean my entry was better than what Renault have come up with, but nothing compared to some of the other entries I’ve seen.

• Well I guess a prefer the EF one, but who cares?? Both brilliant!

• Nailed it :)

Now that’s a JPS Lotus livery. Good job!

• bosyber said on 8th December 2010, 20:30

Like many others, the Senna inspired one is my favourite of the two, and I would love to see you win it with that. It looks refined, elegant, and fits the lines of the car beautifully. Well done.

• Raphael Campos said on 8th December 2010, 20:46

Thanks a lot for the compliments everyone! If you have the time, could you maybe tweet your compliments to Lotus Racing and its head people? That would be amazing!
        @themightybeard @tonyfernandes @H_Kovalainen @MikeGascoyne

Thanks again! Fingers crossed!

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 9th December 2010, 6:19

I saw your link for the Fittipaldi livery elsewhere on the site before I’d seen it here, and already decided on my own to tweet it at Fernandes, Gascoyne, and @mylotusracing. Both of them are great though, I’d be excited if either of your designs won.

• Raphael Campos said on 8th December 2010, 20:46

@themightybeard @sschaumloeffel @tonyfernandes @H_Kovalainen @MikeGascoyne

Thanks again! Fingers crossed!

• Raphael Campos said on 8th December 2010, 20:47

Sorry about the double post!

• bosyber said on 10th December 2010, 9:45

That’s okay – I think I have now let Lotus Racing know that I love your designs – that new Chapman version is great work – I guess it would even work if the gold had to become yellow, the lines just are so well drawn on the body of the car.

• These are fantastic.

Looks great, and also makes the sponsors logos really stand out. I think you’ve nailed it.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th December 2010, 7:45

Both of those look great. I like the AS design especially with its delicate use of the gold pinstripes.

A shame I am not on Twitter, but I will get onto the Team Lotus site to put some weight behind them.

2. Bartosz Grabski said on 8th December 2010, 14:33

For me it looks really good. Can’t wait to see it on TV.

3. Joey-Poey said on 8th December 2010, 15:28

I don’t care what all the complainers are saying, I. Love. This. If they use this, this will easily become my favorite livery on the grid. Yeah, maybe they should ditch the red endplates, but I frankly think it still works GREAT as a whole. Seriously floored at how beautiful it looks. Not only that, but the black + gold makes it something most modern F1 schemes don’t do anymore: look bada**

4. If they enter in the name of Lotus Renault then does it mean that Renault will only be part of the team as a engine supplier like Mercedes in Mclaren-Mercedes? & if this is the team own by Tony Fernandes what will happen to the real Lotus Racing. I think it will again will like be having two Red Bull on the grid.

5. Footers said on 8th December 2010, 15:59

Not a good look. I really don’t think it’s refined enough. The line work is too big and not very sexy at all. The over large Lotus logo on the nose, just looks stupid.

I am seriously not impressed with Lotus Cars jumping on Team Lotus’s idea of bringing back the black and gold livery. When has a team ever revealed their livery for the forthcoming season this early?? They are clearly thinking that if they distribute these images first then it will be Team Lotus copying them…. pathetic.

It pains me to see such a bad design getting onto an F1 car because I design race liveries for a living (amongst other things). I’m not the only one with the same opinion, from reading other peoples comments, that this is not the great livery that it should have been. Here’s hoping Team Lotus do a better job.

6. Calum said on 8th December 2010, 16:01

Looks a stunner, three things spoil it however, first the Red endplates, second the giant Lotus badge, there is the fact that Real Lotus Racing said they were going Gold/Black first.

To be honest I don’t think one of the Team Lotii (plural of Lotus :P) will have black/gold come the start of the new season.

7. Well, in case of win for this team….what anthem we will hear?

French? British? Luxemburg? or mayby Malaysian?

8. The Pirelli tyres would have looked great on this seasons Renault.

9. iceshiel said on 8th December 2010, 17:15

They clearly rushed the livery out so they can claim that Team Lotus is copying them.

I loved the yellow Renault livery. Disappointed that it will be gone…

10. Electrolite said on 8th December 2010, 17:29

I think it looks great. Gold endplates rather than red would obviously be better, but that shot from the rear wing looks really good.

Let’s hope Renault stray from using the same block-ish, chubby design they’ve had going the last few years and the livery will probably work better.

11. to my taste a gold has too dark shade and overall it’s a bit heavy, but nonetheless is looking really great.

12. What a joke of a company Group Lotus/Proton are making themselves look. Like some spoiled kids, they’ve seen how warmly Lotus Racing has been received and instead of being grateful to bask in the reflected glory of the Lotus name, they’re scrabbling around for the credit by launching a flawed legal bid, and now as a naive ploy (which is an insult to F1 fan’s intelligence) of copy-and-pasting Team Lotus’ livery as if somehow that’ll work. I doubt anyone will be confused next year. I hope Lotus Renault never finish a race and the company go bankrupt. Good PR Group Lotus; you’ve made a lot of people dislike you.

13. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 8th December 2010, 18:51

I know this isn’t constructive, but I can’t resist:

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Dany Bahar and your lame company you’ve destroyed! Booooooooooooooooooooooooo!

14. A, poor car, look what they did to it!
    If they are capable of doing this to a poor and helpless car, what can they do to a human then?

But, it’s not about the livery, it’s about the results!