Vote for the best F1 driver of 2010

2010 F1 season review

Drivers, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Drivers, Abu Dhabi, 2010

Over the past four days F1 Fanatic has ranked the drivers of 2010.

Now it’s your turn to vote for the best driver of this year.

Which driver did the best job throughout the whole of 2010? Cast your vote below and explain who you voted for and why in the comments.

Who was the best F1 driver of 2010?

• Jenson Button (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (31%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (3%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (11%)
  • Mark Webber (6%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Fernando Alonso (21%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Nico H???lkenberg (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (0%)
  • Karun Chandhok (0%)
  • Pedro de la Rosa (0%)
  • Sakon Yamamoto (0%)

Total Voters: 518

Loading ... Loading ...

You need to sign in to vote. You can register an account here or read more information here.

2010 F1 season review

Browse all 2010 F1 season review articles

Image ?? Bridgestone/Ercole Colombo

143 comments on Vote for the best F1 driver of 2010

1. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 22nd December 2010, 20:23

Is this the very first F1 Fanatic members-only vote? Good to see Nick Heidfeld’s mum has signed up!

2. jtupeck (@jtupeck) said on 22nd December 2010, 22:56

Lewis by a longshot. He is the reason I continue to watch this sport because of his heart and determination that translate into raw talent on the track. Single handedly passing more than anyone else on track puts him at the forefront of the driver lineup for making ‘the show’ exciting to watch. I don’t much care if its because he qualified poorly, or any other reason, but put him behind others and he will drive his heart out to make the pass.

Stick most any other driver at the back and I can almost guarantee that they will end up pretty close to where they started, especially Vettel. Put Lewis there and watch him climb back up the grid as he picks them off one by one. Combine that with the fact that he pretty much kept his nose out of trouble this year and you have my #1 pick.

3. JUGNU (@jugnu) said on 22nd December 2010, 23:31

For me title of best driver of 2010 was between Lewis and Alonso but i voted for Lewis Hamilton because he made less mistakes than Alonso, his superior raw pace and unlike Alonso who was undoubtedly the Number 1 at Ferrari, Lewis was given equal chances and no extra support by Mclaren except in the last 2 races.

One more thing all 5 title rivals can be argued to have performed below what the car was capable of at various stages and almost lost the championship because of their mistakes but not Lewis (except on one occasion). He always got 100% performance out of the car.

Hamilton only made error at Monza.
    Webber at many stages
    Alonso at many stages
    Vettel at many stages

Unfortunately Mclaren was just third fastest car and their innovative idea and advantage of F-duct was quickly copied by other teams and around the Belgium mark many teams had as good F duct if not better especially Renault and Mercedes. On the other hand Mclaren was slow to get on top of EBD and revised F duct.

So if it is best Driver-Car combo of 2010 than
    3. Lewis-Mclaren
    2. Vettel-Rebull
    1. Alonso-Ferrari

If purely best driver of 2010 than
    3. Vettel
    2. Alonso
    1. Hamilton

4. adamf184 (@adamf184) said on 23rd December 2010, 1:08

Ha ha. Looking at the voting…..Alonso is stuck behind a Renault all over again. 6 votes behind Kubica!!

No doubt he is on the radio in vain and waving his arms in some ridiculous attempt to insult Kubica as I write this!

5. halifaxf1fan (@halifaxf1fan) said on 23rd December 2010, 4:34

Vettel of course. Youngest wdc winner ever. Qually master. Fast as hell.

• cubejam (@cubejam) said on 23rd December 2010, 6:52

I’m really bored of this “youngest ever” rubbish. Why does “youngest” mean a thing? So what?

• Maciek said on 23rd December 2010, 8:32

You might as well ask why does anything mean anything? We assume that winning the WDC takes a certain set of skills and we know skills take time to develop. So if Vettel is the youngest WDC logically this means he developed his skills quicker than anyone else and that’s something worth mentioning. I’ll bet you anything that sports psychologists, for example, are lining up to pick around his background and mindset to see what they can get out of it.

6. cubejam (@cubejam) said on 23rd December 2010, 6:39

Hamilton? No.

I vote Webber.

7. Daniel said on 23rd December 2010, 8:09

Keith,

I would be really interested to see the break down of there the votes came from. Is that possible?

From one of your previous posts about 33% of readers of this site are British, which I think was about 3 times or more as many as from any other country with a driver in the Championship. People naturally tend to favour their countrymen.

Now, I’m not saying Hamilton is ahead because he is British, but I want to see how much affect the distribution of voters has. In other words is Hamilton universally acclaimed as the best driver of the year?

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 23rd December 2010, 8:21

I think the tell-tale thing is if Hamilton wins there will be the usual rubbish about this being a British site, but tell them that their view of Hamilton is swayed by anti-British sentiment and they will deny it.

• Daniel said on 23rd December 2010, 10:40

I’m not looking to start anything. I just want to quantify the effect of Nationalism.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 24th December 2010, 9:00

If you want to quantify the effect of nationalism then it’s extremely relevant to consider the issue of patriotism v xenophobia. Do Brits only like their own, or do a lot of countries hate Brits? I understand that you’re not looking to prove anything by seeing how widespread the Hamilton vote is, but the question of why immediately begs asking if it’s heavily based in Britain.

Then of course you have to consider that domains don’t mean anything. I might have been voting from Canada, or Cyprus in a not-too alternate universe.

• golson (@golson) said on 24th December 2010, 7:12

Hey hey! I’m an American, and I voted for Hamilton for the raw excitement factor!

8. sid90 (@sid90) said on 23rd December 2010, 10:13

Even though I am a die hard Mclaren fan, I still voted for Alonso. His Grand Schlem (sp?) at Singapore, and how he clawed back the 47 point deficit in the latter half of the season justifies it IMO.

9. Dougie (@f1droid) said on 23rd December 2010, 10:34

It’s no surprise to see Hamilton way out front, for every considered vote he recieved there’ll be a fanboy vote with zip all consideration.

If Hamilton is more than twice as far ahead of the second place then I’ll consider it a win for the boy from Stevenage otherwise, for me, the winner will be the highest after Lewis.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd December 2010, 10:41

So in your view of Formula 1 Lewis Hamilton is the only driver who has any fans? I don’t need to point out how ridiculous that sounds.

Incidentally, on two notable occasions thousands of fans of particular drivers have been directed to articles on this site in order to increase the vote for those drivers. On neither occasion was the driver in question Lewis Hamilton.

• Dougie (@f1droid) said on 23rd December 2010, 11:05

Thanks for your response Keith, ooh I feel all privileged and special, lol! ;-)

Of course I am not implying Lewis is the only driver with fans.

At the risk of a major flaming, reading comments here and in previous articles and on the forum, Lewis has brought a load of new fans to the sport (which is awesome, don’t get me wrong) that only see Lewis and think he can do no wrong… hopefully in time they will still love Lewis, but at least be able to see the whole picture.

With regards to your final point about the Kubica overload (can’t remember who the other driver was, but the same applies). I think in both cases it was obvious what had happened, and the same comments were applied there. It just confirms my point. Blinded by the love. :-)

• dyslexicbunny (@dyslexicbunny) said on 23rd December 2010, 16:21

Wow. You’d have been popular in the US both times when Bush was getting elected.

• Regis said on 24th December 2010, 4:34

I cannot agree more DougieCow, as this is a British site, Hamilton will be on top, even if he didn’t compete in half of the season.

All these votes and rankings are meaningless.

10. Chotazas said on 23rd December 2010, 14:37

Ok it has to be Yamamoto. All of you are blind or what?
    Seriously I vote for Vettel cause he did best job when pressure was higher on the season and Alonso and Webber were ahead in points. Then for me, it´s Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Kubica, Button, Webber, Kobayashi, Rosberg, Schumacher, Hulkenberg (cause the pole), Barrichello, Alguersuari, Petrov, Sutil, Liuzzi, Massa, Buemi, KOva, de la Rosa, Heidfeld, Glock, Trulli , Chandock, Klien, Senna, di Grassi, Yamamoto.
    It would put Sutil upper but God, what did he took for breakfast in Korea? Anphetamines? But it was very funny to see on TV, perhaps not that funny being side by side with him.

• Chotazas said on 23rd December 2010, 14:40

I know, usually there are many errors on my responses, i write fast and once you click you can´t correct it XD. And I´m spanish too

11. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 23rd December 2010, 17:27

Surprisingly few votes for Vettel as of yet.

12. Many drivers in the pack could win WDC in winning car as no doubt Redbull was. I still think that Vettel is not complete driver compared to the trio I noticed most – Alonso, Hamilton, Kubica. Would be good to have ability assigning points for at least 3 drivers – maybe outcome of the vote could be different..

13. first I thought: Vettel because he is the champion, then I thought: but he made some serious mistakes but after all. Vettel has not become the world champion because he was lucky in my opinion.

Plus he led the championship only once and at the right moment!

14. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 24th December 2010, 18:40

I voted for Hamilton in the end. It was close between him and Alonso, but I sat yesterday and remembered watching the races in the first half of the season, and Hamilton was really racing very well. His mistakes were for a large part not being cautious enough with overtaking and ending his race (not that of anyone else). Alonso instead seemed to suffer being too strained in getting good results in several of those races.

Apart from Australia when he found out why Button was champion in ’09 as he found him ahead on the road, Hamilton didn’t moan, but got on with the job as best he could.

Looking forward to seeing these two drivers fight it out in competitive cars for quite a few seasons more. Hamilton and his team would do well to work on fast in-/out-laps to get those pitstops brushed up, as Alonso and Ferrari seem far ahead in that.

15. Fredthebadwolf (@fredthebadwolf) said on 27th December 2010, 10:21

Hamilton is trully a driver in a class of his own…he dominated button(who ws busy whining)and really didnt have a car as quick as th bulls…but yet ws always up there