Pirelli complete five-day test

F1 Fanatic round-up

Pirelli has completed a five-day test session at the Sakhir circuit in Bahrain, with help from former Formula 1 drivers Pedro de la Rosa and Romain Grosjean.

The tyre manufacturer has now notched up more than 10,000 kilometres of private testing, not counting the official test in Abu Dhabi in November.

Links

Pirelli wraps up five-day Bahrain test (Autosport)

??Pirelli has completed the final test of the year following a five-day session at the Sakhir circuit in Bahrain.

??In total, the Pirelli testing team completed nearly 3,000 kilometers, with Pedro de la Rosa and Romain Grosjean in charge of driving duties.??

BBC gamble ??200m F1 deal by promoting Martin Brundle to hot seat and dropping Jonathan Legard (The Daily Mail)

??Martin Brundle will become the voice of Formula One after BBC chiefs decided to take a massive gamble on the former driver.??

Newey: 2011 form impossible to predict (Autosport)

??Red Bull Racing’s technical chief Adrian Newey says it is impossible to say whether his team will continue to be the dominant force in 2011 following this year’s titles.??

Comment of the day

Ged is thinking of going to the Hungarian Grand Prix next year and has a few questions:

On the Thursday are you allowed access to the track? Is there a pit-lane walk for ticket holders to get drivers autographs?

On the Friday are you allowed access to all stands, regardless of your actual numbered ticket for the Saturday & Sunday?

I?ve been to Monza in 07 & 09 which was great for allowing both of the above, but Valencia in 08 on the other hand, was very restrictive.
Ged

From the forum

The F1 Fanatic Rolling Trivia Quiz continues.

Happy birthday!

A big happy birthday to Scott Joslin ?ǣ hope you have a great day!

On this day in F1

And happy birthday to Jerome d?Ambrosio, who is 25 years old today.

D?Ambrosio was recently signed by Virgin to drive alongside Timo Glock in 2011. The Belgian driver, who appeared for Virgin in four practice sessions at the end of this year, will replace Lucas di Grassi.

D?Ambrosio finished 12th in this year?s GP2 championship behind Virgin?s reserve driver Luiz Razia.

46 comments on Pirelli complete five-day test

1. Grace said on 27th December 2010, 0:08

I hope MB is up to the task of minute by minute commentary.

• I’m ecstatic about this decision. Both he and DC have an air of calmness in presentation, while Legard tried to force excitement into every comment and fill every moment with (often) unnecessary drivel.

As long as he knows when a little exuberance is necessary (which hopefully he’ll recall from his days with the great Murray Walker, I think we’re in for an excellent season of commentary.

Now would just like to see Eddie Jordan get on the international broadcast, not just 5 live.

• Fairly sure i’ll continue with the five lot after this. Promoting DC is a ridiculous desicion, depriving the veiwer of possibly the best of Brundle and a fantastic commentator in David Croft.

Don’t know why they think two colour commentators are up for the job but apparently they do.

• I agree, it’s travesty. Maybe they are hedging their bets or maybe they are just pandering to the cult of celebrity. Either way they are denying us (and themselves) what would be a remarkable partnership.

• adamf184 (@adamf184) said on 27th December 2010, 14:56

I agree but what people overlook is the possibility that David Croft is happy at 5 live

He has a great team and seems like he has a fantastic time with them. Why would he want to leave? Same job but not with your friends and open to far more criticism!!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 30th December 2010, 22:30

I must say I am rather sceptical on this, although it is hard not to agree on replacing Legard, as he did not impress more in his second season than Piquet Jr. did at Renault.

I just hope Brundle and DC make an interesting team for the comentary.

2. Victor. said on 27th December 2010, 0:30

How is promoting Brundle a ‘gamble’? Sure, he’ll have to adapt to talk non-stop, but his gridwalks show that he’s capable of talking for more than just one qualifying lap. Also, I think DC will bring out the best in him. The moment Brundle entered the commentary box after the gridwalks, he seemed to lose his spark and became bored with Legard’s description of what everyone could see anyway.

Hardly a gamble to let Legard go and to promote Brundle, who in my eyes is a fabulous presenter. To have two knowledgeable people in the commentary box is invaluable.

3. Skett said on 27th December 2010, 0:36

Brundle and Coulthard?
    I’m not so sure, Brundles a great commentator but how much do we really want to hear Coulthard go on about red bull?

I can’t help but feel they should have given Crofty or Davidson the job!

• JohnBt said on 27th December 2010, 10:29

I can’t help but feel they should have given Crofty or Davidson the job!

Totally agree with you.

• DC is a bore. I hope they replace him within the first couple races.

I wonder if he’ll blame the asphalt if Vettel and Webber collide again.

• If, and this is a big if, Coulthard can keep the Red Bull fan boy gig down to a low rumble, Then I suspect he could be quite ok.

I am a little surprised they didn’t go for a “proper” commentator… But I’d rather like DC to be given a shot before people jump on him.

• Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 1st January 2011, 12:20

yeah i agree should have been davidson or crofty

4. NewBoyLewisFan said on 27th December 2010, 1:03

yea i think that brundle and crofty would have been the winner, but they probs dont want to take him away from 5 Live, shame

5. Ned Flanders said on 27th December 2010, 1:11

Jeez Keith don’t you think the site’s been a bit low on content in the last couple of days?! I’m not impressed.

6. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 27th December 2010, 1:49

I hope Pirelli tyres will be better in compound difference so that we can have more races like 2010 Canada & they need to tear up which will force driver to make two pit stop.

7. sato113 (@sato113) said on 27th December 2010, 3:44

watched this vid:
    made me realise how good HAM is. one of the greats.

8. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 27th December 2010, 3:59

Though I wasn’t as bothered as some people were by Legard, I will not miss him, that’s for sure. He did spout some truly daft lines at times, but then so did Murray and everyone loved him! (alas I was not following while Murray was still commentating, but I have watched old broadcasts, and I can see why everyone so adored his style) I suppose it’s the difference between loveable lunacy and then someone who’s gratingly out of the loop.

What I’m curious about is how the chemistry will work between Brundle and Coulthard. As others have said before, the best way about things tends to be your everyman and your expert. Brundle has played the role of the expert quite well for a while, so will it work placing him alongside another former driver? I’m willing to give it a chance as I have no idea what to expect.

Now… if you wanted a hilariously odd-couple pairing, I say bring over Darrel Waltrip from NASCAR and team him up with Brundle ;)

• I remember a lot of haters of Murray when he was commentating, just as many as Legard really… the problem is, I do think you need the everyman…the one who says the obvious, the one that comes out with the cliché one liners, the “It’s go, go, go” etc the commentator that has the excited “in the moment voice”….this is not for the fans of F1, but for the layman, the person who is mildly interested but not sure what is happening….and Legard filled that role….unless DC and Brundle surprise us, I’m not sure if either of them fit that role, that may not be bad for avid F1 fans….but for the laymen…for all those sound bites….it may be…

An example….when you seen a replay of an iconic event in f1 past, recent or vintage…it is often the over excited sound bite of the layman commentator that is used….because they are stating the obvious…they are in the moment…and have that vocal quality the technical assistant commentator lacks….

I just hope I’m wrong….and they do a great job…but it could be an odd one…

• Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 1st January 2011, 12:29

half the time legard didnt relise something was a replay

9. Dan Newton said on 27th December 2010, 8:50

Without trying to sound like a complete F1 nut, I have a full copy of nearly every F1 from the last two years and you can definately hear Legard getting more random and confused, esp towards the end of this year. Its a shame really because, even though he could be annoying, he did bring something to the team which I doubt we’ll get with Brundle and Coulthard. Time will tell however (how long to the first race!)…

10. Do we have confirmation from the BBC yet? This is still the Daily Mail, after all.

Apart from the piece linked to, the same edition of the Mail also ran stories on how Jonathan Legard a) gives you cancer and b) negatively affects house prices.

11. HounslowBusGarage (@hounslowbusgarage) said on 27th December 2010, 10:34

I’ve just soiled myself by following the link to the Daily Mail story . . .
    It’s the way that they present it as a “£200 million gamble” that really gets me. The fee was £200m for five years and we are just about to start year three. So how is swapping commentary blokes a £200m gamble? Are they suggesting that if DC isn’t up to the job, no one at all will watch the next three years of the contract?

12. I wish they would get rid of Jake humphries, he doesn’t know anything about the game and talks to drivers and team owners like their idiots down the pub lol. He irritates me. Same with eddie Jordan with is interrogations, he is an hypocrite as I’m sure he didn’t tell lies as a team owner

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 27th December 2010, 14:10

I think Jordan was quite entertaining with Coulthard next to him. In almost every sentence Eddie mentions how he had a team once and how good he was and how he would handle things and usually coulthard just shoots him down in an entertaining way. I liked that. lets see how it’ll go from now on.

13. djdaveyp said on 27th December 2010, 13:54

Can’t remember where I commented but this was my exact prediction on the commentary team!

14. I wish the BBC would have the balls to allow a bit of dead-air during the TV broadcast; we don’t need to be talked at continuously.

• I like the way you think!

• Maciek said on 27th December 2010, 16:23

A few years ago there was a strike at the Canadian national broadcaster that left the hockey games with nothing but the sounds of the arena and zero commentary – it was fantastic. Not sure that would work as well for F1, but some silent bits with nothing but race sounds would be good.

• The BBC red button has an option for no commentary.

I was thinking it would be easy to have a F1 fanatic web comentary team that people could use online while watching the footage on TV

15. Nixon (@nixon) said on 27th December 2010, 17:06

I still think that Di Grassi deserves the seat more than d’Ambrosio.