2011 F1 season
Patrick Head has defended Williams’ new driver for 2011, Pastor Maldonado.
The team faced criticism after dropping Nico H?â??lkenberg for Maldonado, despite a promising performance by H?â??lkenberg in his debut season including a pole position in Brazil.
Maldonado brings sponsorship from Venezuelan state petroleum company PDVSA.
Head wrote in a column for “Motorsport”:
Alongside Rubens will be Pastor Maldonado, who won the 2010 GP2 Championship with more victories than any previous champion.
He comes with some financial support, but deserves his opportunity on merit.
Williams have retained lead driver Rubens Barrichello but several of their major sponsorship deals including RBS expired at the end of last year.
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Williams/LAT
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others