Adrian Newey on the Red Bull X2010

F1 video

Red Bull X2010

Red Bull X2010

How fast could an F1-style car go if it wasn’t bound by the rules?

Red Bull design Adrian Newey has explored the idea by creating an imaginary car for “Gran Turismo 5″, which was released last year.

He talks about the project in the video below:

If we didn’t have regulations the opportunity exists to make a car that would be really quite obscenely fast quick around a lap. But it would be pretty uncomfortable to drive because the G-forces would be so high.
Adrian Newey

As seen the video a full-size but non-functioning model of the X2010 (previously called the X1) has been built. It was on show at the official “Gran Turismo 5″ launch party in Madrid, and is likely to be displayed at future events elsewhere.

Red Bull say they don’t know how much it would cost to build the car but it theoretically could be done. The design obeys all physical laws.

However they added that with their engineers working full-time on the F1 project it could prove difficult to find someone to build it even if the money was available.

Have you driven the X2010 in Gran Turismo 5? Let us know in the comments.

Red Bull X2010 pictures

Images ?? Red Bull

66 comments on Adrian Newey on the Red Bull X2010

1. Of course the real irony is that it would be perfectly possible for someone other than an F1 designer to build something like this and then start their own series with something similar. Why don’t they do that? Because it would be too fast, too dangerous. A lot of work for nothing.

Must be great fun to play, if somewhat unrealistic, on a game station.

• Hare (@hare) said on 15th January 2011, 22:26

Too fast, too dangerous… dude, human endeavour is all about doing the impossible. You sound like the caveman that sits in his cave and say.. ‘naaah, I’ll never bring down a dinosaur, I’ll just sit here and eat my leaves. I’m comfortable’

The thought bores me to the point of tears.

The Olympic motto is “Citius, Altius, Fortius.”, or “swifter, higher, stronger”. It symbolises the point of pushing ourselves and our abilities to the furthest point. The Newey prototype is right up in there in that Venn Diagram.

I WANT to see racing like this. I want to see people pushing the limits instead of this Health and Safety world, ‘ooh no it’s too dangerous so lets not bother’. The fact is, where problems exist, they can be overcome.

I would love to see cars like these built for a budget, and then raced in an exhibition league.

2. girish said on 13th January 2011, 10:13

WHAT! too fast ??? I dont think so buddy , we are talkin 500hp more than the turbo era cars, a whole lot of safety improvements, better tyres , better brakes , better chassis, and run-off areas as big as foot ball pitches. Of course the Gs are goin to be intolerable, but then u’d know ur limit. its just like how u kno u can push harder with the tyres but u refrain coz it wears. same way u know ur body will wear so u shuld take it easy at times and push wen u feel like. wussying is goin to lead us (fans) to utter boredom. v10s to v8s to inline 4s.. wats next?? pedals?

• It doesn’t matter how ‘safe’ you make them, you cannot change the laws of physics.

And the best driver in the world is the one who can withstand the most G’s? Really? Because that could well be Yuji Ide or Sakon Yamamoto!

As for run-off areas……

3. Ruman Muhith said on 13th January 2011, 13:55

I have the privilege of owning a Redbull X2010 S.Vettel in GT5. As far as I’m aware the car is the fastest motor in the game (quite rightly so). Firstly if you are playing GT5 with the standard control pad, ditch it! Get yourself a Logitech DrivingForce steering wheel, it makes driving the X2010 so much easier although saying that it’s still not an easy car to control with a wheel, you need to hold on tight!

The acceleration is extraordinarily BRUTAL, the braking is incredible and if you’re brave in the corners it will eat them up. The design is glorious and the noise…it’s almost as good as sex! I have clocked the car at 290mph with no lose of power (unlike the Pagani Zonda).

It is the most exciting car I have ever driven in GT5 and will be for a very long time I’m sure. Team Redbull…YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS CAR A REALITY!

4. Meanwhile, back in the real world……

5. mole (@mole) said on 13th January 2011, 15:36

I REALLY don’t understand the hype surrounding this car, anyone with a vague idea of F1 tech could’ve said cover the wheels to clean up drag, introduce ground effects etc. Also, if we’re getting excited about acceleration speeds, why even have a standard engine… how about a jet booster?

Anyway enough of the hyperbole, it’s nice publicity for Red Bull, but I wonder if the X1’s front wing flexes :P

6. Of course it does. There are no regulations to say that it can’t.

7. what a thing of beauty.

8. SVettel said on 14th January 2011, 7:20

If there is a one-make series, the drivers will have to wear the special jackets/trousers that fighter pilots wear. Wearing those, you can get up to 12 G without blacking out!!!

• And the best driver will be the one that can withstand the most ‘G’.

Can we stop with this obsession about F1 having to be the ‘fastest’ form of motor
      sport. The FIA itself sanctions other forms that are both faster and more powerful. F1 isn’t, never has been, and probably never will be the ‘fastest’.

9. Lets be honest 0 – 193 kph in 2 seconds odd. You’d be flat as a pancake in that seat surely??

10. stoeptegel said on 16th January 2011, 12:54

the x1 have 1578 bhp in the game my best lap on the 24h nurnburg ring is 4.42.2 its realy nice bmw gtr race car 7.48.4

11. :/

12. SeattleChris said on 2nd March 2011, 9:59

Can anyone explain to me how the car in the above picture would have more downforce than the current F1 cars? To me it looks as though it may have less drag, but unless there is a magic floor this car would not corner so very well… comparatively to an F1 car (my car, oh sure).

• It has a fan which sucks air from the underside of the car, lowering the pressure and therefore creating more downforce. Also has a rear spoiler twice the width of current F1 cars.

13. I say. The Logitech driving force has totally changed the way I play the game. Way faster laps due to smoother lines and control. And I got one for 129$ CAD. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! And as for why it has more downforce then the current F1 cars is due to a turbine assist to suck the car to the road. It has more then twice the down force in its settings. 150 front and 200 rear where the F1 in the game is I think 70 front and 90 rear.