BBC and other channels to show F1 in HD in 2011

2011 F1 season

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Bahrain, 2010

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Bahrain, 2010

Formula One Management has confirmed that all F1 broadcasters will receive high definition feeds in 2011.

This will give F1 broadcasters the choice of offering HD footage to viewers.

Sky Germany announced yesterday it will broadcast in high definition and Australian broadcaster OneHD announced on Twitter its F1 coverage will be in HD.

British host broadcaster BBC is yet to reveal whether it will show F1 in HD but it is likely to having previously indicated it would as soon as FOM offered the feed.

Further details about its 2011 plans are to be published following the change to the commentary team announced yesterday.

Many other mainstream sports have been available in high definition for several years. NASCAR, America’s most popular racing series, has been in HD since 2005.

Has your local broadcaster announced it will broadcast in HD? Let us know in the comments.

Update: BBC announce they will broadcast F1 in HD in 2011. They also confirmed Eddie Jordan will remain on the coverage team.

BBC’s Head of F1 Ben Gallop said:

It?s fantastic that Eddie is rejoining the team, and this year in a more expanded role. He?s such a core character with his outspoken views, unrivalled contacts in the sport and his ability to unearth the stories from the paddock. We?re also delighted to be broadcasting in HD, something we know fans have been waiting for and it will really add something extra to our coverage for 2011.
Ben Gallop

Read more: F1 in HD ??not until 2011???

111 comments on BBC and other channels to show F1 in HD in 2011

1. Rob B (@rob-b) said on 12th January 2011, 15:46

This is awesome news! I’m looking forward to the 2011 season review blu-ray as well, it will be near the top of my christmas list.

Anyone suggestions on the best/cheapest ways to get HD? I have my HD tv ordered and sorted, i’m just astounded by Skys prices.

2. Bigbadderboom (@bigbadderboom) said on 12th January 2011, 15:51

At Last (Fingers crossed and knock on wood) Hopefully the beeb will deliver it in full HD!!

3. Lustigson said on 12th January 2011, 15:58

HD would be great, but I reckon BBC will only provide HD coverage in the UK through its BBC HD channel, and not in mainland Europe through BBC 2.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 12th January 2011, 16:40

F1 is a BBC 1 flagship sports programme, so it’ll probably come on BBC 1 HD.

Most likley anyone with freesat, sky, virgin media or whoever the big local provider is will be able to get it. That is indeed if it’s the beebs feed that they use.

• Uncle Bob said on 13th January 2011, 0:07

Have you not heard of BBC 1 HD??? Towards the end of last season a couple of races were show on it…OK it was upscaled, but it still looked good… I have no doubt the F1 will be on BBC 1 HD.

4. Michael said on 12th January 2011, 16:35

I so hope this means the BBC will feed SPEED the HD feed as well. For the past couple years it has been on SPEED HD in the states, but it was the same SD feed. Finally F1 will look like all the high def photos!

5. s.j.m said on 12th January 2011, 16:57

As long as the red button service remains!! I like F1 in HD but i still want the optiion of the 5live commentry. When the BBC did the upscaled broadcast in Abu Dabhi, the was no option for it. This might sound like im being spoilt, but since we UK citizens pay for the BBC coverage (in TV license form) id like to think they wont change it.

But great news, glad that F1 is finally showing HD coverage. Should be awesome!!!

6. Now, I just need to convince my wife we want an HD box…

7. Icthyes said on 12th January 2011, 17:02

I care so little I almost passed out ;)

• Ral (@ral) said on 12th January 2011, 17:11

My 12 year old CRT TV joins you in really not giving a .

My wallet cringes a big every time news like this comes out though. It can’t sustain any more of this capitalistic “progress” :(

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 12th January 2011, 17:25

Exactly. I mean, I pay a Sky+ subscription and we have bought many televisions over the years (side story: for my 13th birthday I got a TV/VCR combination set, which I thought was the greatest thing in the world, but I asked to have it on the evening before my birthday so I could get up in the middle of the night on the day itself to watch the Australian Grand Prix). Now, I always assumed in giving our money to these various companies, part of it would go to research on better technologies which we could have once they were out. We didn’t pay this money for them to research a great big cash cow, but a service. Until HD subscriptions are standard or I live with more than 2 people, I’m not having one.

8. Dougy_D (@dougy_d) said on 12th January 2011, 17:15

HD! Finally! BBC has been fighting for this so hopefully they will show the quality to its maximum and not go cheap…

As for EJ, I heard that DC will still be around before and after the Grand Prix’s joing Jake and Eddie. Shame really as it is a good opportunity to introduce another ex-driver. Perhaps Johnny Herbert or Anthony Davidson

• James said on 12th January 2011, 18:58

Davidson is still doing work with Crofty on 5live. I think it was a bit of a missed oppoortunity for the BBC to combine Brundle with the 5live team. Having that team for both TV and Radio would save them money and combine three excellent comentators.

I cant remember when, but at one point last season Crofy, Davidson, Brundle and Chandok were commentating during a practice session, and that was both extremely insightful and entertaining!

9. Icemangrins said on 12th January 2011, 17:17

Guys…. any news about TSN Canada?

F1 is their least priority :-(

10. Dan Cadera in Canada said on 12th January 2011, 17:53

Good job BBC, better late than never. If you want to have any shot of making an impression in North America HD is a No-Brainer. I can more easily count the people I know without HD television than ones that due, and that includes my parents and grandparents and we’re just an average middle class family. You can’t even buy a non-HD TV anymore can you?!

Anyways, the NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, Nascar and every other sport (including lower level racing like Canadian Rally!) are all in HD over here and it was kinda embarrassing my favorite sport wasn’t.

Icemangrins: I’m certain TSN will pick it up. Don’t know why they’d sply an SD broadcast on their HD channel when HD is available. If they don’t, we’ll raise a stink! :)

11. chris sz said on 12th January 2011, 18:06

hi there,

will the BBC HD be available in mainland europe/the netherlands? we only have BBC 1 2 3 and 4.

• bosyber said on 13th January 2011, 10:44

I have a digital subscription, it includes the (option of) HD channels for all the commercial channels, and for BBC 1 HD (Ziggo, but UPC did as well where I lived until October); but it does, of course, cost extra for digital, and a few euro’s more for HD – but once you are on digital, not all that much, although for Ziggo, the recorder costs extra money for HD.

I hope RTL 7 will have a good quality feed too, and the Belgian TV might offer quality video.

12. Will it be in 5.1 ?

13. ellybabes (@ellybabes) said on 12th January 2011, 22:32

This is probably the wrong post for this, but isn’t Martin Brundle still David Coulthard’s manager? Wasn’t it in his best interests therefore to push Legard out of the commentary box and bring DC in – after all DC is probably getting a raise for this and that’s more money in Martin’s back pocket….

14. I don’t mean to be cynical or anything but this largely means nothing to me.

I don’t have a HD TV. I don’t have a HD Sky Box.

I won’t be buying either.

Fair enough, the picture might be crystal clear to look at but, it has to be said, the picture we had last season and seasons before were perfectly ok.

I could easily distinguish between a Ferrari and A Mclaren, even between Massa and Button without the need for High Definition.

I suppose when they don’t make normal TV’s anymore, or when the tv I have blows up, then maybe I’ll consider it but until then non HD F1 will do me quite alright, thank you very much. :)

15. rmac923 said on 12th January 2011, 23:19

SPEED in the USA have confirmed they’ll be broadcasting F1 in HD starting in Bahrain: