BBC and other channels to show F1 in HD in 2011

2011 F1 season

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Bahrain, 2010

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Bahrain, 2010

Formula One Management has confirmed that all F1 broadcasters will receive high definition feeds in 2011.

This will give F1 broadcasters the choice of offering HD footage to viewers.

Sky Germany announced yesterday it will broadcast in high definition and Australian broadcaster OneHD announced on Twitter its F1 coverage will be in HD.

British host broadcaster BBC is yet to reveal whether it will show F1 in HD but it is likely to having previously indicated it would as soon as FOM offered the feed.

Further details about its 2011 plans are to be published following the change to the commentary team announced yesterday.

Many other mainstream sports have been available in high definition for several years. NASCAR, America’s most popular racing series, has been in HD since 2005.

Has your local broadcaster announced it will broadcast in HD? Let us know in the comments.

Update: BBC announce they will broadcast F1 in HD in 2011. They also confirmed Eddie Jordan will remain on the coverage team.

BBC’s Head of F1 Ben Gallop said:

It?s fantastic that Eddie is rejoining the team, and this year in a more expanded role. He?s such a core character with his outspoken views, unrivalled contacts in the sport and his ability to unearth the stories from the paddock. We?re also delighted to be broadcasting in HD, something we know fans have been waiting for and it will really add something extra to our coverage for 2011.
Ben Gallop

Read more: F1 in HD ??not until 2011???

111 comments on BBC and other channels to show F1 in HD in 2011

1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th January 2011, 23:28

I’m not enthusiastic about this at all. For those of us who don’t have high definition televisions, HD coverage will only make things worse – I remember the 2009 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was broadcast in HD, and it was terrible. Half the screen was cut off, there was no way to read any of the graphics and a whle myriad of other problems.

• Uncle Bob said on 13th January 2011, 0:04

Time to get HD then and join the 21st century.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th January 2011, 0:41

Why does everybody seem to assume that I can simply do this? Every time this topic comes up, people tell me I should just get it, as if money grows on trees. I’m a 24-year-old university student! I have a weekly budget of $220, which has to cover food, accomodation, travel expenses and textbooks. If I’m lucky, I get $50 a fortnight leftover, and that usually has to go towards odds and ends. I simply cannot afford to get HD. Even if I put that $50 a fornight towards getting an HD-capable television set, it would still take me the better part of a year to save enough money. It’s not going to happen any time soon. So it might be easy for you to get HD, but don’t assume that it’s easy for everyone else.

• Don’t worry, by 2013 it will be the 3D instead… … So you won’t have to hear that any more.

• I’m against it too to be honest. All this HD-TV business is so the boys can sell their big televisons and make plenty of money. They don’t give a toss about our viewing pleasure, they just care about lining their pockets.

The normal broadcast was fine

Exactly how much detail are we going to be able to see exactly.

For the things we don’t see, we have slow mo replays.

• John H said on 13th January 2011, 23:00

BBCone broadcast in both SD and HD. Just watch the former like me and the rest of us students!

• I’m not a student but I’ll still refuse to buy one until they’re reasonably priced.

I ain’t made of money or anything much as I’d like to be!

• Relax the video broadcast will be scaled down as to accommodate the non HD sets.

• How about getting a job & stop whinning.

• tmfox (@tmfox) said on 13th January 2011, 0:52

Hey! I wouldn’t be so quick to knock a 14 inch CRT TV if that’s all you’ve got and can afford for the time being.

I upgraded from said TV this year primarily for the F1. Because it was getting impossible to read the on-screen graphics without squinting (they just seemed to get smaller and smaller year by year!).

Major point though… it took me the best part of 5 years to ‘join the 21st century’

2. Robert said on 13th January 2011, 4:00

Mr Ben Gallop you are bloody fool. Even people who rarely watch F1 are the first to tell me what a total **** jordan is. I cringe every time he’s on screen but do enjoy how last year it was open season on him in the pitlane, mockery from every direction.

Really though, the guy is a disgrace, from grabbing a Crown Prince or Emir by the arm to his moments of utter nonsense like “Full marks to Liuzzi” ????? (Abu Dhabi 2010)

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th January 2011, 4:06

Jordan might be a bit of a pain, but at least he’s got personality. I don’t know about you, but I’m not keen on having six identical commentators do all the coverage. That would just be boring.

• John H said on 13th January 2011, 23:02

I like him. And if some of us do, then perhaps he’s ok to stay. It’s not like Legard for christ’s sake!

3. Stephen Jones (@aus_steve) said on 13th January 2011, 4:11

great to see ONEHD finally broadcasting in.. HD
    but its taken a while.. most other sports are nearly broadcasting in 3D!

4. funkyf1 said on 13th January 2011, 8:32

The problem is the quantity of the broadcast not the quality. Better coverage is needed not more pixels

5. BBT (@bbt) said on 13th January 2011, 12:26

Sadly makes no difference to me (and I’d suggest still a majority of people) as I don’t have a HD feed despite having all the hardware. In fact I only know one person that has (the sister in-law)

6. Dan LeBlanc said on 13th January 2011, 22:09

So, reading this it sounds like a lot of Europeans don’t have HD? Over in North America, like pretty much everyone does, especially sports fans.

If F1 tries to sell to the States with the United States Grand Priz and come out without HD (in 2011!) they have zero chance of success I’m afraid.

There’s already 3D hockey games broadcast in Canada, HD is old news already. ;)

7. Scandinavian broadcaster Viasat will be broadcasting in HD starting in Bahrain!

I’m so psyched!

8. Stefan said on 14th January 2011, 12:18

I think, in 2014, we all we watch in in 3D with 3D glasses on. Lol!

I’m happy that the BBC will show it in HD, hopefully McLaren doesn’t perform too good… those British can get carried away if they do.

Very curious of the upcoming car launches and the testing next month. At the moment I’m disappointed that Bahrain has gone back to the old layout.

Lotus-Renault, 9/10 for their livery!

9. GreeTz said on 14th January 2011, 21:14

In The Netherlands the F1 is Broadcasted by RTL, they use commercial brakes during races :S Commantary is very poor, pre-race builup is a gameshow so no we don’t receive F1 in HD in The Netherlands.

I prefer waching F1 on BBC

• chris sz said on 14th January 2011, 21:30

i also watch bbc or the belgian broadcast but i wonder if bbc will be in HD or not since we only have bbc 1, 2, 3 and 4 but no BBC HD…

10. foocode (@foocode) said on 15th January 2011, 13:35

Re: OneHD, you’ve got the wrong ‘breaking news’ tweet :)

Here’s how it went down:

Initial answer to 2 of us (+ Mr. Noble) just after Germany’s Sky announcement:

Followed by a quick “er… are we allowed to mention that yet?” tweet:

And finally a ‘phew – we’re heroes, not fired’ announcement:

:D

11. Thomas said on 20th January 2011, 16:01

Viasat will broadcast F1 in HD in Sweden.