Montezemolo hits out at Red Bull

2011 F1 season

Felipe Massa, Luca di Montezemolo, Fernando Alonso, 2011

Felipe Massa, Luca di Montezemolo, Fernando Alonso, 2011

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has hit out at Red Bull following claims the team exceeded the FOTA-imposed Resource Restriction Agreement in 2010.

Speaking at Ferrari’s “Wrooom” media event di Montezemolo said:

I have heard these stories, but I don?t know if they are true. If they turn out to be correct, then it shows that our long held view that we are against an artificial cap is the right one: it is impossible to run checks when for example, there are companies involved which can manufacture in various countries.

Plus there are always polemical situations in Formula. I am pleased to see that, after the Brawn comet and its titles which, might I say came with some technical ??drug taking?? we then had another team taking both titles last year, one that is maybe not yet in the habit of winning: it?s part of the game and its great, but maybe when others have won 10% of what Ferrari has won, then they can also have their say.
Luca di Montezemolo

He also admitted the team’s last-round defeat in Abu Dhabi last year still keeps him awake at night. But he said it was the team’s performance in the first half of last year which really cost them the championships – and that’s what they need to improve this year.

Believe me, I often still wake up at night thinking of the race in Abu Dhabi, so it goes without saying that we must absolutely look to the future

We must make a good start, both in terms of reliability and, above all, on the performance front. Last year, we lost the championship in a first half that found us failing to live up to our expectations.

I think this will be a very interesting championship: there are a few question marks regarding the new rules and therefore we will have to wait and see how competitive are our rivals.
Luca di Montezemolo

He praised the “calmer” atmosphere in F1 politics but stressed the importance of keeping the sport at the forefront of technology:

If the teams know how to remain united and work in constructive fashion, as part of the virtuoso triangle alongside the FIA and the commercial rights holder, than this organisation has a future. When I was president, it was a different more difficult time, whereas now the atmosphere is calmer.

The fact remains that Formula 1 has to be the highest level of this sport therefore there cannot be too big a gap between the big and small teams in terms of how competitive they are.

I expect Formula 1 will remain as the highest expression of technology, of motor sport and in terms of the spectacle. There needs to be constructive dialogue between the International Federation, the commercial rights holder and the teams.

These latter have to be competitive, must be able to invest and to maintain themselves at a high level. On top of that, you need stability in the regulations so that the teams can plan their investments and in order for the public to understand what is going on.

I do not believe in the budget cap or cost control, which are always impossible to verify: reduction in costs comes through regulation changes, both on the technical and sporting front, without forgetting the links to industrial production and technical innovation for the motor industry of the future, because we want cars, not rockets.
Luca di Montezemolo

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

86 comments on Montezemolo hits out at Red Bull

1. Andy c said on 16th January 2011, 0:24

Yvonne,
    With the greatest deal of respect, all ldm does is whinge on about what he sees as taking away from f1 and how the others take away from the spectacle.

F1 has always had backmarker teams, that is a fact.

I want f1 to have all tiers. I love the Ferrari history in road cars and f1 but ldm should learn that sometimes if he has nothing positive to say he should think about not sharing it.

Ferrari are a class act, but hearing him criticising brawn is lacking class. Ldm had no problem when Ferrari dominated (albeit with a Frenchman, south African and a Brit in key positions), and Michael living on the track at fiorano.

This has nothing to do with country of origin, or British anti Ferrari.

• DeadManWoking said on 16th January 2011, 1:25

This has nothing to do with country of origin, or British anti Ferrari.

If this has nothing to do with country of origin then why are you bringing it up?

2. Luca, Diddums!

3. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 16th January 2011, 12:45

This man doesn’t half seem to talk out of his backside. Was it Formula 1 or Ferrari 1?

No amount of grief thrown at other teams repairs making a mess of your pit strategy in Abu Dhabi. Hell, Ferrari couldn’t win the WDC when they gifted themselves (or Alonso..) an extra 7 points! Sort out your internal problems before you start on others!

4. Mads (@mads) said on 16th January 2011, 19:39

I love that guy! He probably didn’t intend to be funny, but he sure is.

5. David McVey said on 17th January 2011, 12:30

That man is an idiot. He seems to think that just because Ferrari have a long history with the sport and a trophy cabinet fit to burst, they are somehow automatically entitled to win the WCC and WDC each year.

He sounds like a spoilt child. I mean honestly, bemoaning the Brawn and Red Bull success is just a poor loser losing poorly.

If they’d have thought of the Double Diffuser they’d have used it from the outset in 2009 but they didn’t.

Anyone would think they were paragons of virtue the way he waxes on. Was it 2007 when Raikonen won the Melbourne GP with what turned out to be an Illegal Ferrari due to excessive flexing being designed into the floor of the car? Just one example of many!!!

If I was an F1 driver I would never sign for Ferrari, they are of dubious morals and principals and they are making themselves a laughing stock with their blunders and Monty’s childish rants.

They guy is a liability and should be sacked for embarrassing the team.

6. The Limit said on 17th January 2011, 17:25

This man has no grace, no dignity at all. It was not due to Red Bull winning the race at Abu Dhabi that won them both titles, but Ferrari’s blundering strategic decision to bring Alonso into the pits at the wrong time. In his words, I see a man who is still very bitter that Ferrari did not win, and a man that knows deep down that Red Bull are going to be even stronger in 2011.
    Bringing in Alonso was supposed to lead to championships and to dominance of I kind Ferrari had during Michael Schumacher’s reign. This may all, in the long run, happen, but Luca has to be realistic. The 2010 Ferrari was a great car, but the Red Bull was exceptional. Two of Fernando’s victories came about due to Red Bull mechanical failures, so Ferrari were not without their lucky breaks in the season. But sounding off like this about Red Bull looks immature and worse, fearfull of what the team from Milton Keynes may achieve in the future.

7. Whats up this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

8. Thanks a good fine deal solely meant for all!

9. Thanks for the write-up. I have often seen that almost all people are wanting to lose weight since they wish to show up slim and attractive. However, they do not often realize that there are additional benefits so that you can losing weight additionally. Doctors state that fat people suffer from a variety of illnesses that can be perfectely attributed to their excess weight. Fortunately that people who definitely are overweight as well as suffering from numerous diseases can reduce the severity of their illnesses by way of losing weight. You are able to see a constant but notable improvement with health if even a negligible amount of fat loss is accomplished.

10. There is some validity but I inclination accept in force assessment until I look into it further. Well-behaved article , thanks and we in need of more! Added to FeedBurner also.

11. Karey Laguerre said on 2nd April 2012, 5:53

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your site. You have some really good articles and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an e-mail if interested. Thank you!