Marlboro to continue Ferrari sponsorship

F1 Fanatic round-up

Tobacco sponsorship is in the news again as Ferrari are reported to be about to extend their title sponsorship deal with Marlboro.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Marlboro set to extend Ferrari deal (Autosport)

“Ferrari’s deal could be announced as early as its new car launch.”

Scot Paul di Resta closes in on Force India F1 drive (BBC)

“Liuzzi’s manager Peter Collins said: ‘Tonio will be in F1 this year. Will he be racing? I don’t know.’”

Senna Movie Plays At Sundance In Utah (Speed TV)

“As for the competition, the 11 other films represent a wide range of worthy intellectual subjects, many of them with a political flavour. Aside from Senna, none features sports or celebrity subject matter of any kind, so in that sense it already jumps out. Now it?s down to how the jury reacts. Let?s hope there are one or two petrolheads involved!”

And while we’re talking about the “Senna” movie the DVD and Blu-Ray editions of the film are already available to order in Japan. Daniel Popescu on Twitter notes they will be released in March:

Renault truck

Renault truck

Renault via Twitter

“Another exclusive for you now ?ǣ the first black and gold truck back from the paint shop. Simply gorgeous??”

Curiouser and curiouser (Joe Saward)

“Our spies in Austria have spotted JPS motor racing-linked tobacco point-of-sale advertising in recent days. This uses a depiction of a grid and the words ??The Legend??, with a JPS branded cigarette packet featuring racing tyres at each corner. This is going to be seen as linked to the black and gold racing cars that Lotus Renault GP will be running this year, even if the tobacco company and the racing team argue that such a thing should not be the case.”

‘Innovative’ McLaren will provoke ‘lots of discussion’ (Crash)

“It’s always hard-pushed for everyone, but it looks good to me, it looks innovative, I think there are some interesting features on it and I’m sure there’s going to be lots of discussion about it ?ǣ but I suspect others will be working just as hard as we are.”

Mysterious case of Formula One star Jenson Button?s father and his ‘stolen’ Ferrari (Daily Mirror)

“Motor racing champ Jenson Button’s father feared his ??150,000 Ferrari had been stolen ?ǣ but he may have just forgotten where he left it. Former rally driver John Button, 65, told police he had parked the red 550 Maranello outside his hotel on the Italian Riviera.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

A lot of people, including Victor here, reckoned yesterday’s Champion of Champions was the toughest one yet:

This, for me, is by far the hardest match-up yet.

Niki Lauda is, despite my immense dislike for the man, without a doubt one of the best Grand Prix drivers ever. To win a championship, dominate the following year, then almost fatally crash and shrug it off to come back and lose the championship by one point simply due to fear is remarkable. So is winning pretty much immediately after a two year break and winning one?s third championship in a different team against a rising star.

Alberto Ascari, on the other hand, is a legend. Considering that he only really raced for four seasons (his 1954 campaign was hardly a proper season and he was killed at the beginning of 1955) and managed to clinch the crown twice and finish second once, I fail to see how he was worse than Fangio. To win more often than every third time he entered a race is spectacular.
Victor

From the forum

Hairs declares war on parrots.

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today. If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailling me, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

Elio de Angelis started his first F1 race on this day in 1979 in Buenos Aires. He brought his Shadow home in seventh place, which didn’t earn a point in those days (never mind six).

After one year with the team he moved to Lotus, with whom he spent most of his career.

68 comments on Marlboro to continue Ferrari sponsorship

1. traderpilot said on 21st January 2011, 0:10

The new ferrari logo looks very similar to a half of a marlboro reds lid.

• Mike-e said on 21st January 2011, 2:54

thats what i said yesterday, along with the Ducatti motoGP logo who are sponsored by marlboro too…..

• I’m really quite baffled as to how Ferrari continue to get away with this. Tobaco is banned, by european law and several other grand prix hosting countries. Everyone agree’d not to have them any more.

Oh wait there Ferrari and no rule is to big to ignore.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 21st January 2011, 12:45

Yes, and the only link between Ferrari and Ducati, apart from the origins and the red colour, is Marlboro. And both logos are practically identical, both looking like half of Marlboro’s symbol. I don’t see how it can be useful for Marlboro to sponsor some team without actually having their logos on the car, just to hear the interviewer at the end of the race, when he annouces the drivers on the podium, if there is a Ferrari driver, say: “Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro”.
        Maybe since Ferrari no longer can show Marlboro barcodes, they will go back to sponsoring Marlboro at races where it is allowed, or at least was 3 years ago, like Bahrain and China.

2. Hamish said on 21st January 2011, 0:16

Really been craving a cigarette in recent days….

3. “It’s always hard-pushed for everyone, but it looks good to me, it looks innovative, I think there are some interesting features on it and I’m sure there’s going to be lots of discussion about it – but I suspect others will be working just as hard as we are.”

Last year’s Mclaren looked innovative and interesting but on the track it wasn’t all that special. Unless the MP4-26 gets pole position in Bahrain I’m not taking his words too seriously.

• YOU MEAN, Pre car release chat might be hyperbole?!?!?!?! NEVER. THAT RENAULT IS BRAVE, THAT MCLAREN IS INNOVATIVE. AN THERE ALL GOING TO CHALLENGE FOR TITLES.

4. Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 21st January 2011, 0:47

That must be the first time I’ve ever heard a truck described as ‘simply gorgeous’…

5. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 21st January 2011, 1:00

The John Button story is actually a bit sad…

I hope the di Resta news turns out to be true. It’s sounding more and more like it. It’ll be great to see how he fares against Sutil.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 21st January 2011, 6:55

I thought the John Button story was hilarious. Either he forgot where he parked the car, or it got stolen. Thats quite a funny predicament to be in. Plus its not the end of the world . Jenson boy could replace it for him within a day.

• newnhamlea1 (@newnhamlea1) said on 21st January 2011, 8:53

He’s already found it, it was in the identical looking next town along.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 21st January 2011, 9:30

That was exactly what is a bit sad, isn’t it? To me the story suggested he either drank to much after driving there, and forgot, or he is getting old and forgot where he parked it, or he loaned it to someone he doesn’t want to know …

• kowalsky said on 21st January 2011, 10:23

he likes his gin and tonic too much.

• CNSZU said on 21st January 2011, 11:05

He is a pathetic, old retard living the high life on the earnings of his son. A disgusting, old creep and I hope he forgets to attend any future F1 race, I’m fed up seeing his retarded, perma-tan face on my TV. Forgetting where he parked his Ferrari? He’s the only person in the F1 paddock stupid enough, he should be deeply ashamed of his embarrassing, moronic behavior, but I bet he doesn’t feel a thing.

• Well, that’s rather nasty!

• Dobin1000 (@dobin1000) said on 21st January 2011, 12:20

I agree!

Everyone who ever forgets where they parked their car should be ashamed of themselves for being a moron and embarassing the human race.

Even if you step out of a supermarket and have to glance around for a couple of seconds to remind yourself where you parked you should be shot in the middle of the city centre by anonymous internet comment thread poster – as everyone knows they are the master race – in front of a baying crowd, then your remains paraded through the streets with a banner saying ‘Forgot where he parked’.

• Dobin1000 (@dobin1000) said on 21st January 2011, 12:21

*Awaits moderation*

• CarsVsChildren (@carsvschildren) said on 21st January 2011, 14:17

Yes, you definitely have this in perspective.

Why the hate? Did he do something to you or your family? He seems like a pretty nice guy on tv.

• Wow… just… wow. He’s probably one of the nicest guys around.. as is Jenson. He’s 65 years old, he’s allowed to do what he wants.

And if you didn’t know where your Ferrari is, you’d probably call the police too.

• kowalsky said on 21st January 2011, 10:20

if you see it in the cover of autosport, it’s true. They are the ones with the best journalists, with the best info.

6. There’s a lot of conjecture and greyness about “real” Lotus and which team means what, and the original Team Lotus is before my time. But if there’s one thing that I’ve learned about F1 history during this thing, it’s that Group Lotus have never raced in F1. Never had a team.
    So I can see the black and gold on their things, but whenever I do I just feel that what I’m seeing is an average middle-aged bloke, who’s decided that he wants to do something notable, so he’s going to have a crack at being a good long-distance runner like his dead brother used to be. So he’s pulled out his dead brothers old tracksuit and started wearing that so that people might think he’s just like him. But then everyone who see’s him just remembers what a nice bloke his brother was and how they used to see him about, and then they wonder what this sap before them is doing running around in his old clothes.

7. David-A (@david-a) said on 21st January 2011, 2:05

I just love the way that “Marlboro to continue Ferrari sponsorship” is headed with a big fat picture of fake Lotus. Maybe they should just go ahead and get some JPS sponsorship if someone else has tobacco sponsorship :P

8. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 21st January 2011, 2:21

Looks like Paul di Resta is on the Force India.

I hope I can buy that DVD someday.

I lost Ferrari, how can anyone forget where he parked his Ferrari? I would have been dead by then.

9. f1yankee said on 21st January 2011, 5:28

if that’s a bad day for him, i’d love to see what he does on a good one :)

10. Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 21st January 2011, 7:20

Surely if the advertising is banned, Ferrari shouldn’t even be able to announce they’ve extended their “sponsorship” deal?

• Rob B (@rob-b) said on 21st January 2011, 10:33

I have a feeling they could be setting themselves up for problems by publicly announcing the ‘extension’. I had a quick google and it seems the EU law is the Tobacco Advertising Directive.

Q&A from 2005:

9. For Grand Prix races in the EU some Formula One teams are using colours, shapes and font faces associated with tobacco logos on the cars (but not the actual logo itself). Is this allowed under the Directive? This is something that the Commission and the Member State authorities will need to examine. According to the Directive “advertising means any form of commercial communication with the aim or direct or indirect effect of promoting a tobacco product”. ”

• HounslowBusGarage said on 21st January 2011, 12:56

. . . so if they don’t say anything about the “money from Marlboro”, it’s okay.
        But if they make any form of commercial communication (my example would be a press release), it’s not allowed.
        Hmmm.

• Rob B (@rob-b) said on 21st January 2011, 13:40

That’s what I gather HBG, If they’d just stuck a diagonally split red/white square on the car, uniforms etc and not said what it was other than ‘the team logo’, as they did with the barcode, then they would be ‘safer’ and possibly within their rights to do so.

Although I’d bet most people would realise pretty quickly what this logo was hinting at – I believe the barcode was a lot more subtle than using half of the packet lid!

I’m no legal expert but by issuing the press release it seems they have fallen foul of the EU’s TAD.

• Adrian J (@adrian-j) said on 21st January 2011, 13:44

I guess it really does come down to what the definition of a “commercial communication” is and whether it would cover the press-release or not!!

• Funnily, you never see anyone at Ferrari smoking do you?

11. alexf1man said on 21st January 2011, 10:28

Why are Ferrari always allowed to break laws, rules and regulations that other teams aren’t?

E.G. Germany 2010 “swapgate” between Alonso and Massa, Tobacco when everyone else has got rid of it (at least in sponsorship terms*), testing in Fiorano when no other team did (up to 2008 but please verify if I’m wrong).

* Lotus Renault GP has JPS colours which JPS is using to advertise their tobacco

12. Adrian J (@adrian-j) said on 21st January 2011, 10:52

A lot of negativity on here today so I thought I’d point out a positive…

We get to see the first of the new cars next week!!

13. Electrolite said on 21st January 2011, 13:52

Paul Di Resta!!

Ha! I’ve always thought John Button’s a funny guy, although the story is a bit sad.

14. Adrian J (@adrian-j) said on 21st January 2011, 13:56

Keith, just a heads up:

The site is running very slowly on my machine today and has caused Google Chrome to stop responding a couple of times.

Only seems to happen on F1F so I’m assuming it’s something on the site rather than my machine…

15. Snobeck said on 21st January 2011, 15:51

If only Senna wasn’t playing at 6PM tonight, otherwise I’d drive over to Utah from Colorado this weekend.