Michael Schumacher vs Alain Prost

Champion of Champions

Champion of Champions: Michael Schumacher vs Alain Prost

Michael Schumacher and Alain Prost won more races than anyone else. That’s 142 Grand Prix victories between the two of them.

Of the 839 races that have counted towards the world championship since 1950, one in six were won by one of these two drivers.

While even Prost falls well short of Schumacher’s record total wins, it will be remembered that he drove alongside world championship-winning team mates in five season. Schumacher did so in just five races.

Similarly Schumacher’s tally of titles seven out-strips Alain Prost’s four, but it bears remembering how close Prost came to three more: two points away in 1983, half a point in 1984, and in 1988 he amassed more points than champion Ayrton Senna, but had to discard more under the ‘best 11 results count’ rule.

But it would be wrong to overlook that Schumacher was championship runner-up in 1998 and 2006 (and in 1997, prior to his disqualification).

The pair are almost unequalled in having spent over a decade at the sharp end of Formula 1, challenging for wins and championships.

But that success was sometimes accompanied by controversy: Prost’s collision with Senna in 1989 which sealed his third championship had much in common with Schumacher’s notorious collision with Damon Hill just five years later (and with Jacques Villeneuve three years after that).

Their careers overlapped for little more than a season. Their most interesting encounter came in the 1993 Portuguese Grand Prix, where Schumacher’s tenacity on old tyres allowed him to snatch his second F1 victory. Prost settled for second place behind the Benetton, enough to secure his fourth and final world championship.

It’s down to you to pick which of these drivers belongs in the Champion of Champions final.

Vote for which you think was best below and explain who you voted for and why in the comments.

Michael Schumacher Alain Prost
Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, Bahrain, 2006 Alain Prost, Williams, 1993
Titles 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 1985, 1986, 1989, 1993
Second in title year/s Damon Hill, Damon Hill, Mika Hakkinen, David Coulthard, Rubens Barrichello, Kimi R?â?ńikk?â?Ânen, Rubens Barrichello Michele Alboreto, Nigel Mansell, Ayrton Senna, Ayrton Senna
Teams Jordan, Benetton, Ferrari, Mercedes McLaren, Renault, Ferrari, Williams
Notable team mates Nelson Piquet, Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barrichello Niki Lauda, Ayrton Senna, Nigel Mansell
Starts 268 199
Wins 91 (33.96%) 51 (25.63%)
Poles 68 (25.37%) 33 (16.58%)
Modern points per start1 14.05 12.48
% car failures2 8.21 16.58
Modern points per finish3 15.30 14.96
Notes Missed several races in 1999 after breaking his leg at Silverstone Lost ’83 title by two points and ’84 title by half a point
Retired in 2006 after 11 seasons with Ferrari Controversial clash with Senna sealed third title
Returned with Mercedes in 2010 Returned from sabbatical to clinch fourth title with Williams
Bio Michael Schumacher Alain Prost

1 How many points they scored in their career, adjusted to the 2010 points system, divided by the number of races they started
2 The percentage of races in which they were not classified due to a mechanical failure
3 How many points they scored in their career, adjusted to the 2010 points system, divided by the number of starts in which they did not suffer a race-ending mechanical failure

Round three

Round two

Round one

Which was the better world champion driver?

• Michael Schumacher (53%)
  • Alain Prost (47%)

Total Voters: 754

Loading ... Loading ...

This poll remains open until February 4th.

Read the F1 Fanatic Champion of Champions introduction for more information and remember to check back tomorrow for the next round.

Have you voted in the previous rounds of Champion of Champions yet? Find them all here:

Champion of Champions

Browse all Champion of Champions articles

Images ?é?® Ferrari spa (Schumacher), Williams/Sutton (Prost)

194 comments on Michael Schumacher vs Alain Prost

1. Mark Young (@terry-fabulous) said on 30th January 2011, 11:08

Prost was faster then Senna, Mansell, Rosberg, Lauda and Hill in the same cars. That is Five World Champions!

Not only can Schumacher not claim that, I don’t think anyone can!

Schui was and is Magnificent, Alain was truly Magical.

2. oweng (@oweng) said on 30th January 2011, 11:29

Looks like Michael “Numbers” Schumacher is going to take this one. But for me, Prost got my vote.

I’m not saying Schumi wasn’t an outstanding driver, he clearly was. But you can’t compare his teammates and competition with Prosts. It’s as simple as that.

3. Mlracing (@mlracing) said on 30th January 2011, 12:09

Wasn’t it a fact that prost fled mclaren, because he didn’t want to share a team with senna. This because he clearly lost the battle (and team) to him.
    Second to me real champions are excellent in all conditions (dry, rain and everything between), Prost wasn’t.
    1) Champions always want the #1 spot, so i don’t care if schumacher had lesser teammates (btw lesser but not as bad as people claim they were)
    2) He took a step back after his WDC titles and built ferrari back up and dominated with them. Yes Brawn (who went to Ferrari because of Schumacher) and todd played a part, but it wouldn’t have happened with another driver (the dominance i mean, so not saying they wouldnt have won 1 title). Also the likes of fangio, senna prost were always looking for the best car, so i dont think they would have build ferrari up
    3) He was almost always on and over the limit of the car with races like hungary 98, spa 95, barcelona 96 and 94 (5th gear), comeback 99 after broken leg, brazil 06, first victory 92, first qually 91 etc for example.

well i voted schumacher. Prost was a great driver in dry though.

• Roberto said on 30th January 2011, 23:22

I agree with what you said about Schumacher, but not with what you said about Prost.

Prost didn’t lost the battle to Senna, he won. He scored much more points than Senna in both 88 and 89. He left McLaren because the team was biased towards Ayrton (Ron Dennis admitted that) and Prost did all the development and testing, he stated he didn’t want to do Senna’s homework anymore.

Real champions are excellent in all conditions…we could say: great cars, average cars and bad cars. Between Senna, Prost and Schumacher, Prost is the only one who was champion with a clearly inferior car (1986). He also led most of 1983 season with an inferior Renault.

4. JMF-thebestever (@jmf-thebestever) said on 30th January 2011, 12:10

Prost for his driving divinity.

5. mrgrieves (@mrgrieves) said on 30th January 2011, 12:31

Didnt think at this stage i’d say this but i went for Schumacher at a Canter. Every thing i looked at said Schumi. All the above stats say Schumi escpecially having eliminated Clark who i rate much higher than Prost.

6. Andy c said on 30th January 2011, 12:59

Keith
    Had all race results counted towards points, how many championships would Alain have won (I.e dont drop any results)?
    I’ve always wondered but never had time to calculate it.
    Thanks
    Andy

7. Mads (@mads) said on 30th January 2011, 13:06

Schumi for me. Prost was brilliant, no doubt. But the way Schumacher helped to build up Ferrari from nothing, to total domination for years was incredible. Also i don’t think that Schumacher had less competition then Prost, as some people say, i just think Schumacher was so good he made everyone look like schoolboys.
    Not only was Schumacher a fantastic driver, but his ability to push the team, even the tyre manufacture to give him just what he wanted was incredible.

8. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 30th January 2011, 13:12

sorry can never forgive schumi for deliberate cheating in 94, illegal car in 95, deliberate attempt to drive Villeneurve off in 96, the debacle of Austria in 2002 and what a disgrace at Monaco to try and stop Alonso. A supremely talented driver beyond doubt, but greatness is bigger than that and he doesnt possess that quality. (if you think he’s changed , speak to Rubens after Hungary last year.)

• JMF-thebestever (@jmf-thebestever) said on 30th January 2011, 13:18

same feeling exactly.

• Icemangrins said on 30th January 2011, 13:48

speak to Rubens? Even if someone rolls his eyes at Rubens, he is going to the press to complain… such a overreacting genius !!

• yeah right speak to the drama queen Rubens…

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th January 2011, 16:16

illegal car in 95

All I remember from 1995 was Schumacher winning the title by 33 points in the second best car. And a perfectly legal one, too.

And Rubens is a drama queen. Schumacher accidentally blocks him for 2 corners, makes it to Q3, yet still whines while trying to remind everyone that he is a “cool guy”. I prefer to call him “Whiney Mr Blah, blah, blah”.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th January 2011, 16:17

“accidentally blocks him for 2 corners in Korea”

• debaser91 said on 30th January 2011, 20:08

Rubens does over react sometimes, but try and see past your admiration of Schumacher and take off the blinkers. What he did to Barrichello in Hungary was unacceptable.

I’m not sure what he’s referring to in ’95, I know there were rumblings the fuel Benetton were using was illegal, but Williams were similarly accused with Schumacher and Coulthard both being disqualified from a GP (I think it was Brazil)before being reinstated later on.

’94 is the one talked about with rumours of an illegal car, with the traction control software found in a sub menu on the Benetton.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th January 2011, 22:00

Ok, my comment was a bit OTT. Schu definitely shouldn’t have done what he did in Hungary.

I just don’t like Barrichello’s attitude at times, not least his comments after Korean qualifying and Germany 09.

And both Benetton and Williams lost their constructors points after Brazil 1995, but the fuel irregularities were not down to Schumacher trying to cheat as smudgersmith suggested.

• debaser91 said on 30th January 2011, 22:40

I understand that. The way Barrichello talks sometimes it’s like he feels the whole world is against him. Respect his longevity but last year was a case in point, he had a title winning car but it was Button who made the most of it.

• Icemangrins said on 30th January 2011, 21:41

ha ha… nice one !!

He also mentioned in some interview that he is a down to earth guy – not really sure what that means in his opinion. That would be good to know.

• sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 30th January 2011, 22:37

Schumacher’s unacceptable behaviour…….. show me a true great in a sport who isn’t controversial! I’m fairly sure Prost has had his moments of controversy too, but people seem to jump on the bandwagon of hatred for Schumi. I personally believe we should be grateful we lived in a generation where one driver was so great, so dominating, so commanding that people have to resort to poking fun at any little thing he does in his career. Sure, he nearly drove another driver into a wall, but lets look at the facts, Michael had track position (he was infront of Rubens) and made one single defensive move, it was Rubens who didn’t yield even though he should have! Anyway, lets not run through things that happened in the past that have no relevance to this, and yet again I look at the stats of 1 win in every 3 races, 25% poles, 7WDC’s, rebuilding a mid table team into a dominant force and I cannot see past Schumi, he’s got my vote all the way through this now

• debaser91 said on 30th January 2011, 22:57

I never said Prost was an angel, he wasn’t and neither was Senna but the Hungary incident was in no way Barrichello’s fault. You say ‘sure he nearly drove another driver into a wall’ at nearly 200 mph as though its not a big deal, just as some Senna fans try to justify what he did at Suzuka 1990.

If Barrichello had crashed it would have been huge, we are talking just a few mm further to the right and he has a crash of the scale of Kubica’s in Canada a few years back. I am not one of those people who cannot put a dislike of Schumacher’s on track behaviour to one side when considering his achievements, but there are three drivers who I rate more highly than him: Clark, Senna and Prost.

• Mlracing (@mlracing) said on 30th January 2011, 23:27

i think he means 94, there was launch control. But that’s F1 try to find ways to have the best car and the fia has to find it and ban or rewrite the rules. RedBull in 09 (stricter checking rules), renault in 06 (banned halfway, i forgot what it was) etc. i don’t hear nobody whining about that after 16 years.

the 95 was quick, but very diffficult to drive.

rubens still thinks he could have beaten schumacher that says enough.

• Icemangrins said on 31st January 2011, 2:02

He couldn’t even beat Jenson in the same sister Brawn GP car in 2009. Beating Michael would be a Saturnalia miracle. Keep dreaming big guy

9. Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 30th January 2011, 14:15

I registered only because I’ve got tired of reading of Michael’s fans comments.. PROST GETS MY VOTE! It’s a Champion of champions pole, not my childhood hero pole. Schumi’s record looks amazing probably more than Prost’s but I don’t remember to watch his Ferrari teammates to race him for the title… I know, I know. It’s not his fault he was so dominant! against who? Rubens? Felipe? Yip they are top class like Senna.. Sorry to be ironic. Massa was very often better than Schumacher at many races before Schu retired and I hope that you all saw that Felipe helped Ferrari at that time/ helped Michael to face Alonso. And Alonso of course won only because he had the better car. Michael won 7 titles because of his pure skill… Give me a break! More competetive drivers/ cars and teammates at his time- as I said “Prost gets my vote!”. People please remember that Michael always wins on stats (not always %) and we’re here to judge the drivers not only statistics which as we all know are often a result of superior car. I believe it was harder for Kubica or Rosberg (f.e.) this season to score podium finish than for Vettel to win 2010 championship. In terms of the car of course… to have 1 title more or just have a title doesn’t mean that the driver is better. Vettel vs Giuseppe Farina both 1 time champs. Vettel vs Kimi? Finally Vettel vs Weber- Vettel won this year but is he without a doubt better than Mark? If so Michael probably will be the champion of champions… I just don’t think that one title more or less should be so important- they are all champs for gods sake! My private final Prost vs Fangio. And it would be great to see Juan win. Champion of champions should include some historical differences, right?
    But anyway this pole still was tough for me. If Schumacher faced Senna I probably voted for Michael… Cheers!

• Cristian (@cristian) said on 30th January 2011, 14:22

Yet it seems a lot like a childhood hero pole…

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th January 2011, 16:03

Massa was very often better than Schumacher at many races before Schu retired

Massa outqualifies Schumacher 4 times in 18 races (one of them was even because of a penalty for him and Alonso, not Massa’s speed) and he’s “very often better”? That’s a good joke.

Yes, he is.

• Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 30th January 2011, 18:58

I remember that in 2006 Felipe finished 5 races in front of Michael and if my memory doesn’t lie to me Ferrari had two 1-2 won races with of course Felipe at the back. Good thing that Michael was 4th at the Brazilian GP but still I believed that Massa could “accidentally” hit the brakes wrong and take out Fernando.

Yes, he is.

I’m just not quite sure as you. Tell me if I’m wrong but wasn’t Weber on top of the drivers standings most of the season(ok, Vettel had more poles)? So it seems Vettel is better than Alonso too ’cause Fernando just like Mark for some reason made a fluke with a pit stop… For me is to soon to say which RB driver is better. All I know is that Vettel won despite his stupidity at Turkey and few errors.

• Mads (@mads) said on 30th January 2011, 19:50

You are yourself talking against looking at statistics, yet you just brought them up to ague that Mark might be better, or equal to Vettel, but as you say yourself you need to look at the races, not just the numbers, why Vettel was behind mark most of the season? Had Vettel had a car as reliable as Marks, he would have won the title in Korea.
          furthermore the champion of champions don’t necessarily need to be the best behind the wheel. Schumacher was a large brick in the puzzle to get Ferrari on top of the others. The way he pushed everything to maximize the result was one of the reasons he was able to win 7 titles. He was arguably the hardest working champion ever and that shows in the statistics.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th January 2011, 20:36

I remember that in 2006 Felipe finished 5 races in front of Michael

5 out of 18. 5/17 since both drivers crashing out in Australia doesn’t really count. So the statistics you use don’t favour your argument. But it gets worse.

I assume you meant Malaysia, Hungary, Turkey, Japan and Brazil. In Hungary, Schumacher finished 8th, Massa 7th.In the race Schumacher was fighting for a podium in the closing stages, Massa was nowhere.

In Japan, Schumacher was leading comfortably until engine failure, Massa had to be promoted to second place behind Alonso. Nothing to do with Massa being better than Schumi.

Nothing of the sort happened or was even considered. Just a figment of your imagination.

I’m just not quite sure as you. Tell me if I’m wrong but wasn’t Weber on top of the drivers standings most of the season(ok, Vettel had more poles)?… For me is to soon to say which RB driver is better. All I know is that Vettel won despite his stupidity at Turkey and few errors.

Fair point, but in my opinion, Vettel is the better of the two. Webber lead the standings for a while, but I feel that he often lacked the raw speed of Vettel and made a similar number of errors which I will go through.

His starts were poor; look at Valencia, Spa and Monza. He hit Hamilton in Australia twice, and once in Singapore. He crashed while trying to overtake a Lotus. Webber spun into the wall in Korea, wiping out Rosberg. On top of this he was simply devoid of pace in Bahrain, China, Germany and Abu Dhabi.

Vettel clearly made mistakes in Turkey, Britain, China and Belgium, but otherwise didn’t really have off days in comparison to his teammate (apart from Canada).

Mark had his good drives (faultless in Spain, Monaco and Turkey, good in Britain, Hungary and Singapore), but was too inconsistent to become champion.

• David B said on 30th January 2011, 21:36

Add that, actually, it was Fisichella, Fernando’s mate, that hit Schumacher in Brazil GP and caused the puncture…
            I don’t think he did it on purpose, but imagine what could have happened if it was Massa hitting Alonso…

10. David B (@david-b) said on 30th January 2011, 15:03

What Prost made to Senna (and Senna made to Prost next year) was largely worse thanwhat Schumacher did to Hill or Villeneuve.
    Just have a look at the lines of the car and you will see how Prost and Senna respectevely on purpose choose the line to impact on the other car, while Schumacher wasn’t at all far from the normal line.

We’re going to Schumacher against Senna, and to me it is the best final. They are the two most impressive drivers or modern era…

• Roberto said on 31st January 2011, 1:07

Prost didn’t hit Senna in 89! Senna braked waaay later that lap on the chicane, he tried to overtake Prost in an impossible point, it could only work if Prost took his car out of the line. Niki Lauda said about the accident: “Why should Prost let Senna pass without a fight? Alain drove the normal fight-line, not zig-zag, we know that from Patrese. Alain did not at all drive unfair, the driver, who is behind the other is always guilty at accidents. Prost is absolutely innocent!”

Senna did the same with Nannini later on the race, compare the two moves and see how Nannini had to lock his brakes.

11. sumedhvidwans (@sumedhvidwans) said on 30th January 2011, 16:02

Keith, had you paired Michael against Fangio or against Senna, Michael would have come up as second best.

But you paired him against Prost. He might just win this one.

12. one year from now you will all laugh reading your comments about how great Schumacher is…all of you.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th January 2011, 16:18

We’re already laughing at all of your comments.

• David B (@david-b) said on 30th January 2011, 16:35

Well, it is true that since his comeback his best result was … to beat Jim Clark in this poll!
      Anyway seven titles are there…are they remain there!

• Valentino (@valentino) said on 30th January 2011, 21:16

“One year from now” will be the best proof that he was one of the greatest athletes that ever lived, right alongside Pele, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Valentino Rossi,…
        When I think again isn’t he 40something? And still driving formula one car? Sill competing with the best of the best? Even if he was behind the Virgin car in the grid he needs recognition because he can still handle an F1 car.
        And I will repeat myself once again: Senna is such a legend because he died driving, so does MSC need to die too too to become the greatest ever? If Senna was alive now, he would be as good as Prost, Lauda,…

• Icemangrins said on 30th January 2011, 21:43

ha ha… Manu strikes again and makes us rofl.Keep entertaining us Schumi hater !!

13. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 30th January 2011, 16:09

The professor, as the firt post stated, was stopped of a fifth championship only by personal decision, he retired (and probably took the best decision if we see Ayrton’s accident a year later). So it was “easier” (I’m not dismissing Schum) for Michael to be 7times world champion with a safer car, more reliable and in a verticalized team that worked just for him and not for the teammates

14. JMF-thebestever (@jmf-thebestever) said on 30th January 2011, 18:39

Why are you so biased after all this poll means nothing , Fangio still will be the greatest driver ever was despite our voting and Prost will be unmatched in his handling of a car despite your bias.

15. SennaTheG.O.A.T said on 31st January 2011, 2:22

People speak and especially youngsters speak a lot about stats,wins e.t.c.
    But when we speak about talents Senna and Gilles Villeneuve are the Greatest ever.
    Schumacher is overrated.Prost was never aggressive and he was one of the most boring drivers ever.
    Over it and Senna will win against anyone.He is the Greatest ever.Gilles Villeneuve was also better than Schumacher and Prost.

• David A said on 31st January 2011, 11:29

Don’t get ahead of yourself, Schumacher and Prost were better than Gilles Villeneuve, as good as the Canadian was.

• SennaTheG.O.A.T said on 31st January 2011, 13:52

You know nothing about F1 if you say that.
        Gilles was Top-3 talent ever.
        Senna,Clark and Gilles are the 3 Greatest drivers of all time.They are aggressive and faster than anyone and they hadn’t many times the best car.
        Schumacher won his 5 of his 7 titles in the worst era 2000-2006 with opponents like Montoya,Ralf and Coulthard(Who??).Hakkinen was the only great but still not Top-15 driver ever.
        And he won 2 with Benetton only because Senna died.
        Schumacher is a Top-10 driver ever but was never better than Senna,Clark,Gilles,Fangio,Stewart and Mos.
        And last year wasn’t faster than Rosberg.
        I don’t care his age because Fangio won chips in a bigger age than him.
        Prost at least had opponents and teammates like Lauda,Mansell and of caurse the Greatest ever Ayrton Senna..
        Stop youngsters speak about stats and wins..With some of the most dominant cars ever and with opponents like Coulthard,Ralf and Montoya stats,wins and championships means nothing.
        Now F1 is by far better than any year of Schumacher at Ferrari..
        Drivers like Hamilton would win Schumacher with the same car.
        And Alonso won against him 2006.
        So stop overrate him.

• And black&white tv is far better then LED/colour TV…ok we got you

• SennaTheG.O.A.T said on 31st January 2011, 20:33

Your example is bulls*** comparing TV with drivers.

• lol i’ applying about your unreasonable speaking about youngster and living in your 70s 80s world like your comment in other post. Btw Ipad is the new gadget

• David A said on 2nd February 2011, 15:20

They are aggressive and faster than anyone

Is that the whole package though? Anyone can be “aggressive”, and indeed put it in the wall, or the 1988 Monaco armco. Aggression can pale in comparison to Schumacher’s unrivalled workrate and undeniable speed.

they hadn’t many times the best car.

The Mclarens in 1988-1991 weren’t the best car? Nor were the Lotuses in the 1960s? Give me a break.

Schumacher made these drivers look poor. Calling it the “worst era” is purely opinion.

And he won 2 with Benetton only because Senna died.

On your planet, do you have an alternate reality TV that allowed you to come up with that conclusion?

I don’t care his age because Fangio won chips in a bigger age than him.

Times change. In modern F1, slower reflexes at the wheel will be exposed far more easily than in the machines of the 1950’s. Poor comparison.

Hilarious how you forgot about the 1996 Ferrari car. It’s easy to say championships mean nothing when you don’t like Schumacher.

It’s clear that you know nothing about F1.

• SennaTheG.O.A.T said on 3rd February 2011, 2:41

Wow the Schumacher fanboy say that I Know nothing about F1.Well you were unborn when I watched F1..
            Senna had opponent a World Champion Prost..Schumacher had teammates like Irvine and Rubens…Even Berger was better than them..
            Also Schumacher’s opponents in his 5 titles with Scuderia were his brother,Montoya and Coulthard..Only Hakkinen was a good opponent..
            When he had a good opponent(and I’m not a fan of Alonso) at 2006 his lost.
            If you think Schumacher would win with Senna alive you have problem..
            Don’t compare Schumacher with Senna..Is blasphemy…
            You know nothing about Senna..He is the best ever,period!

• David-A (@david-a) said on 6th February 2011, 5:22

Well, you’re the Senna fanboy, who earlier claimed that Villeneuve was better than Prost and Schumacher, without considering numerous factors in what makes a complete F1 driver. You are proving that you’ve not learned much in all those years.

You’ve made the usual error of not considering that Schumacher made his opposition look poor. He competed against a field of talented racers in 2000-04 (including Raikkonen, Button and Alonso- world champions), who are underrated because Schumacher was simply on another level.

If you think Schumacher would win with Senna alive you have problem..

When you show me a logical argument rather than effectively screaming “SENNA IS THE BEST!”, i’ll take that claim seriously.

Don’t compare Schumacher with Senna..Is blasphemy…
            You know nothing about Senna..He is the best ever,period!

The only blasphemy here, is your utter narrow-mindedness. I have done plenty of research on Senna and Schumacher, so don’t write me off as a “Schumacher fanboy”. Senna was obviously your childhood hero, Schumacher was mine.