Mercedes W02 rendering revealed

2011 F1 cars

Mercedes W02 rendering, 2011

Mercedes W02 rendering, 2011

Mercedes have published a rendering of their new 2011 F1 car, the W02.

The image shows the team have adopted a wide, flat nose similar to that seen on the Red Bull RB6 last year.

They have reverted to a conventional air intake in place of the radical split airbox used on the W01 from the Spanish Grand Prix last year.

But as with many of the car launches expect the car’s aerodynamic package to be revised before the first race of the year in Bahrain.

The image first appeared on the website of German newspaper Bild.

The W02 is due to be run for the first time on Tuesday at Valencia.

2011 F1 cars

Browse all 2011 F1 cars articles

Image ?ι?® Mercedes

104 comments on Mercedes W02 rendering revealed

1. Pedal to the Vettel (@pedal-to-the-vettel) said on 30th January 2011, 21:32

Can’t wait to see it on a race track, it just looks lethal lol.

2. From this rendering I really like it, a few small tweaks to the livery have improved what were the second-dullest colours on the grid last year (step forward, HRT). I don’t like this year’s high-nose trend, but the sidepods look evil.

• Pinball said on 31st January 2011, 2:58

I agree, from the rendering the livery looks much improved from last year. Last year the livery looked very much just chucked together, it wasn’t nice.

3. Catalina (@catalina) said on 30th January 2011, 22:08

I don’t think this is the final version. Its rumoured that they’ve prepared another version for the later stages of testing.

4. mename2332 (@mename2332) said on 30th January 2011, 22:20

looks like they have stuck with pushrod suspension (correct me if i’m wrong)

5. Faraz (@faraz) said on 30th January 2011, 22:47

Yeah I have to say it does look very nice love it hope its fast.

I thought that last Years Red Bull and Mercedes were pretty ugly.

6. I wish they used the old air box from last year as well, it truly looked innovative. However, I believe they outlawed “blade type” rollover hoops in the regs this year.

7. Aetost (@aetost) said on 30th January 2011, 22:55

It also seems they abandoned the single keel design of W01.

8. Something about it reminds be of a Benetton. 1994/95? Or a Ligier/Prost.

9. Catalina (@catalina) said on 30th January 2011, 23:28

I think it’ll look like last year unraced Toyota.

10. Scribe (@scribe) said on 30th January 2011, 23:40

It looks like the silver suffer throwing a platypus. But I’m warming to it.

11. The nose and Petronas brings back memories of BMW in 2009 tbh.

12. Scottie (@scottie) said on 31st January 2011, 0:46

Personally I find it a bit dull… there’s no small tweaks to really manipulate the airflow anywhere.

The smooth lines are nice and the colour adds to it, but after admiring the Ferrari for a bit… I just find it a bit plain.

then again the ’09 Braun was simple, but effective.

13. No awesome airbox ;_;

Well, there still could be hope… Trying to throw us off with the early rendering?

I just hope that they are… *crosses fingers*

14. Snobeck said on 31st January 2011, 1:47

Sexy

15. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 31st January 2011, 1:56

Silver Greenish does look good, the question remains will it be able to fight on track?