Mercedes W02 launch ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ first pictures

2011 F1 cars

Mercedes have launched their 2011 F1 car in Valencia.

Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg pulled the covers off the W02 shortly before the first test session of the year began.

2011 F1 cars

Browse all 2011 F1 cars articles

Images ?ι?® F1 Fanatic and Julien Leroy / firstlap.be. If you wish to use these images please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission

100 comments on Mercedes W02 launch ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ first pictures

1 2 3
  1. Mr JoeBlack said on 1st February 2011, 8:29

Welcome Baby, hope you will be up to our expectation this season!!

2. Pedal to the Vettel (@pedal-to-the-vettel) said on 1st February 2011, 8:29

Come on Mercedes!

• Pedal to the Vettel (@pedal-to-the-vettel) said on 1st February 2011, 9:16

I like the look of the connected section from the bottom of the nose to the top of the front wing very curved, like a sword.

Don’t see any other team have that style, which I guess is good.

• nosajm9bys (@nosajm9bys) said on 1st February 2011, 9:22

Nico to win 2011? Ain’t happening, dude!

• Pedal to the Vettel (@pedal-to-the-vettel) said on 1st February 2011, 9:27

Your a bit late mate, people been jeering at me for days now which doesn’t phase me one bit… *cries*

• nosajm9bys (@nosajm9bys) said on 1st February 2011, 13:56

Ha! Sorry mate, I’ll be on the blocks next time you come up with a ridiculous “premunition”.

• Pedal to the Vettel (@pedal-to-the-vettel) said on 1st February 2011, 15:35

Unlike you I don’t get scared being called wrong, atleast I got the bottle to make a call and not change my mind every grand prix like most people.

I predcited schumi to win 05, I was wrong.
            I predicted alonso win in 06, he did.
            I predicted Kimi to win 07, he did.
            I predicted Lewis to win in 08, he did.
            I predicted Massa to win in 09, I was wrong.
            I predicted Vettel to win in 10, he did.

And now I predict Nico will either win or get really close, so save your ridiculous snubs for the end of the season because your guess is as good as mine.

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2011, 8:29

Oh, very nice! My second-favourite after the Renault.

4. US_Peter said on 1st February 2011, 8:30

Its nose is shaped a lot like the RB7 at first glance…

I like the Renault guys having a peak.

• US_Peter said on 1st February 2011, 8:33

A bit less hammerhead shark and more platypus though after getting a better look at it.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 1st February 2011, 8:44

I get the impression, someone hit it on the nose and broke it. Nico Rosberg looks to be a bit unimpressed as well.

Great livery, shame they did not do this for last year, the Petronas colours look a lot better like this.

5. rear pullrods, eh?

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2011, 8:32

Oh, man, the blog is slow tonight. Feels like it’s 1995 all over again.

• Lee_F1 said on 1st February 2011, 8:40

whole internet is slow today in terms of updates on cars yesterday was like lightning maybe everyone warn out from yesterdays excitement

• US_Peter said on 1st February 2011, 17:21

I think Keith’s first W02 image was the first pic up on twitter and was instantly RT’ed by a bunch of people, so there was a ton of traffic. I finally had to give up and go to bed it was so slow.

7. GeeMac said on 1st February 2011, 8:45

That is a properly good looking car…wow! Absolutely loke it. Like the RB7 its rear end is so tightly packaged.

Also like the livery, a much better use of the Petronas Turquoise.

8. Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 1st February 2011, 8:45

Whew, and I thought it was just my old computer, or my connection. But I must say, the W02 is an aggressive design. I like it!

9. nicko said on 1st February 2011, 8:46

the front looks thin, delicate :)

10. the-muffin-man said on 1st February 2011, 8:47

Pass the bucket please . . . oops too late!!!!

11. verstappen said on 1st February 2011, 8:47

That is certainly an improvement in the livery!

Btw… Are the photo’s placed in the same sequence as they’re made?
    “This is nothing Nico, just cover her up again and walk silently away”

12. Todfod (@todfod) said on 1st February 2011, 8:49

Quite a nice looking car. Looks like they have a pull rod rear suspension on their car as well. So 3 out of the 6 cars launched have a pull rod suspension. What about team lotus .. what are they running?

My money is on Mclaren having the best looking car, and running a push rod suspension

13. James Bolton said on 1st February 2011, 8:49

The nose looks very aggressive. The wing mountings are very similar to the Sauber design from last season.

14. I can’t stand silver. I just about tolerate it on the McLaren. This, for me, is putrid. Opinion.

• Icemangrins said on 1st February 2011, 13:09

I guess they go by their traditional silver arrow theme. Merecdes always had a silver paint scheme. Can’t beat their tradition, eh?

15. Ben N said on 1st February 2011, 8:58

Both the car and the livery look spectacular! The turqoise is much better on this car – and the car itself just looks more aggressive…

16. DeadManWoking said on 1st February 2011, 9:01

The sidepod vanes are very short and there’s no obvious MRW actuator, unless it’s located under the upper wing.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 1st February 2011, 9:23

I like the way these vanes dissepeared. Lets hope the rest of the teams do away with them as well.

• bosyber said on 1st February 2011, 10:18

I do wonder if they intend to attack and slash tyres with it though, sharp as it looks. But having it go away seems an improvement to me too – although they also started without them last year, didn’t they?

• bosyber said on 1st February 2011, 10:16

The wing does seem to have hinges, it might indeed be under the wing – but there is also a panel in the middle of the main rear wing profile: they could attach something there, instead of merely adding a wing-blower device like I expect them to at some time in the season.

• DeadManWoking said on 1st February 2011, 10:32

Yes there are panels in the middle of both wing elements but the upper wing also has two thick triangular structures at either side that seems to coincide with the D-shaped access panels behind the slots in the endplates, the actuators may be located in the sides there.

17. danielbts said on 1st February 2011, 9:06

If you look at the airbox, the camera is mounted a long way back.. makes me think this isn’t the airbox/engine cover they will end up with. Could see a split box of some sort?

18. Yuck! Have you noticed how far back the camera mount sits?

19. Meander said on 1st February 2011, 9:12

Hey, is it me or do they seem to have a different adjustable rear wing system?

20. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2011, 9:15

I love the way the livery is never quite the same from shot to shot. The silver and the green blend into one another quite nicely, and I don’t think I’ve seen two shots with an identical livery because it looks like it changes as the light hits it.

1 2 3