Williams FW33 revealed ?ǣ first pictures

2011 F1 cars

The Williams FW33 has done its first lap at Valencia.

The car is running in an interim livery for the first test session of the year.

See here for more pictures of the car

2011 F1 cars

Browse all 2011 F1 cars articles

Images ?? Julien Leroy / firstlap.be and Racecar Engineering

78 comments on Williams FW33 revealed ?ǣ first pictures

1. goofy (@goofy) said on 1st February 2011, 9:48

What’s this exhaust-like thingy on the sidepods?

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 1st February 2011, 9:52

Are you talking about on the top of the sidepod? Close to the front? I think it is just a vent, McLaren or someone had them recently, just for cooling I think. Maybe due to KERS?

All in all Williams look to be getting on the right track, I am seeing some resemblances to the Ferrari. And although Ferrari never builds are car that looks like all the others, they always find a way to make it quick. Let’s hope Williams can too. I can’t think of anyone that would root against them, except maybe Force India ;)

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 1st February 2011, 10:16

Adam Cooper posted a picture of the back end.
      The exhaust are there, although they do look a bit strange.

And that back end is real tight, almost gone.

• bosyber said on 1st February 2011, 10:37

It looks like they forgot to attach some body work, looks really low, but differently from Ferrari, they didn’t find an esthetically pleasing way to end it. Well, at least it is nicely tight, as cars seem to need this year.

They also seem to have a shaped shield to guide the exhaust plume towards the diffuser and away from the tyres.

2. Andy C said on 1st February 2011, 10:06

I love interim testing liveries. I used to love when McLaren tested in Orange.

Great updates Keith, much better pics than the other sites I’ve seen. Right up to the minute.

I cant understand all of the comments from people saying, thats not aggressive. I’m no aero guru, but what is deemed as aggressive? Rockets fitted to the side, and maybe a flying car button?

Look forward to hearing how they run today.

3. If pictures are anything to go by, Williams are going to struggle this year. This looks the most ‘uninteresting’ car launched thus far.

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 1st February 2011, 13:58

completely disagree. The rear end of this car is incredible, in my opinion the most innovative of the designs yet! The car just..ends!

Can anyone explain this to me?

• Solo (@solo) said on 1st February 2011, 14:28

I kind of found it not looking very fast too. Of course we know nothing, even if you are an aerodynamist you can’t know unless you see the data from aero tunnel and cfd but still it looks like it won’t be good enough to allow Williams to make the next step and start fighting for podiums.

4. gabal (@gabal) said on 1st February 2011, 10:37

I love the Williams testing liveries. This one isn’t as good as the one they used few years back but I love huge old-style numbers on a cockpit sides.

While we are at the car, what is with the rear end? The lack of it I mean, it is completely exposed!

5. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 1st February 2011, 10:40

To me, the FW33 looks like it could be the best example of 2011 characteristics on a car. If you look at the fourth photo, the back end is extremely tight, the nose is relatively high to last years, much like the Ferrari, and the ‘spike’ fin combined with all those aspects. Does make them look funny, but it’s the time of year I suppose, we’re all getting used to the new shape.

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2011, 10:55

It’s a very gaunt-looking car. When I look at it, I think of skin pulled tightly over bone. There’s not an ounce of fat on it, but there’s not much meat, either.

7. Daniel said on 1st February 2011, 11:12

Nose reminds me a bit of the Walrus design.

• I came here to post that. In fact, all the teams seem to have gone for a walrus style nose attachment. So even though we all mocked Williams when they first put that on, it must have been (the combination with) the rest of the car that made it slow, rather than the design itself. Interesting to see how that works out this year.

Perhaps Williams will have a slightly larger database to work from about how that particular nose works and they might be able to work out how it works in combination with the new tyres a tad quicker as a result. A nice thought, although perhaps not entirely realistic, I admit :)

8. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 1st February 2011, 11:33

Seems like Williams is the only team that is doing live timing.

9. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st February 2011, 11:57

Going by a couple of Twitter feeds, Williams will be running a “retro” livery in 2011. Read into that what you will …

10. roadie said on 1st February 2011, 12:09

The whole car is very interesting, especially the rear (or lack of it!). No one here seems to have noticed that the rear suspension connects to the rear wing support!

11. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 1st February 2011, 13:34

Interesting idea just underneath the air-intake.

12. thesternowl said on 1st February 2011, 16:05

The rear wing design looks strikingly similar to the Ferrari…hmmmm.

13. cookie said on 24th February 2011, 8:49

Car will be rothmans look o like!