Lotus T128 has first run in Valencia

2011 F1 cars

The Lotus T128 has appeared for the first time in Valencia.

Heikki Kovalainen did the first lap in the car as testing began this morning.

Images ?é?® F1 Fanatic and Julien Leroy / firstlap.be. If you wish to use these images please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission

78 comments on Lotus T128 has first run in Valencia

1. lowered nose.. i like it

2. Looks cheap, especially the decals. No wonder Lotus didn’t want to be associated with them.

3. BROOKSY007 (@brooksy007) said on 2nd February 2011, 11:55

Looks a lot better on the track, the first pictures looked horrible but on the track it just looks right.

4. Polle said on 2nd February 2011, 11:57

There there people, no need to hang yourselves over some dodgy decals.

5. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 2nd February 2011, 12:03

Now that looks a lot better than in the launch photos. Particularly the 12th one down.

6. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 2nd February 2011, 12:10

Team Lotus seem to have problems with heat from exhaust apparently burning stuff on the car. Irony.

7. David McVey said on 2nd February 2011, 12:33

Anybody think the front end resembles the front end of the A23?

8. Hmmm kind of… lets hope it’s a lot faster though! I just finished an article on my blog about my reactions to the new F1 cars. A fun read if you’re keen :)

9. The New Pope said on 2nd February 2011, 13:05

I really do love the look of these cars. I think the green and gold is quite classy, and so different than the other cars on the grid. Good stuff!

10. Ralph said on 2nd February 2011, 13:28

Article 15.2.4 The ‘spike’-style rollhoop has been banned for safety reasons.

Is Mike Gascoyne playing with fire?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 2nd February 2011, 14:15

What article 15.2.4 actually says is this:

The principal roll structure must have a minimum enclosed structural cross section of 10000mm², in vertical projection, across a horizontal plane 50mm below its highest point. The area thus established must not exceed 200mm in length or width and may not be less than 10000mm2 below this point.

If you can prove the design infringes that rule, there’s grounds to complain.

11. verstappen said on 2nd February 2011, 13:49

So we have a Renault with a huge Lotus logo on the nose and the word Lotus all over the rearwing… and a Lotus with a little logo on the nose and Airasia on the rear wing and the engine cover.

You could argue that it was the same with Santander at McLaren and Ferrari, but considering the naming row, it does seem like Fernandez is hedging on loosing out. Or he thinks that in this stage he will get a better return on investment when he shows his own airline, then another ones brand.

—-

apart from that, a massive difference with last years car and as I mentioned before I really hope they can make a solid jump to midfield or even higher. Mike Gascoyne is not to be underestimated!

12. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 2nd February 2011, 14:27

I like that yellow stripe on the back!

13. Fathur said on 2nd February 2011, 14:55

why they use split airbox? i think split airbox is banned for this season

14. moose said on 2nd February 2011, 16:29

I heard somewhere that the front wing was flexing. did anyone get a close look at the front wing?

15. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 2nd February 2011, 17:08

I’m really loving the new Lotus.

I’m a huge fan of F1 cars that have drooping noses, it’s such a shame that they were just on their way out when I first got into F1. So I was glad when McLaren brought them back in 2009 and equally glad Lotus have one now. They’re not quite the same, but they’ll more than do.