McLaren MP4-26 launch – first pictures

2011 F1 cars

McLaren MP4-26 launch, 2011

McLaren have launched their 2011 F1 car in Berlin. Here are the first pictures of the car.

McLaren staged an unusual launch in Berlin’s Potsdamer Platz. Competition winners brought different pieces of the car and they were assembled together in front of the public and press.

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: “I think today’s innovative launch demonstrates the enthusiasm within Vodafone McLaren Mercedes to engage the general public; to show them that our sport is intense and exciting and that we’re very keen to showcase Formula 1 to the wider world.”

As well as featuring KERS and an adjustable rear wing, as permitted by the 2011 rules, the MP4-26 sports an unusual U-shaped sidepod arrangement. McLaren say the layout is to direct air to the rear of the car more efficiently.

McLaren will conduct a shakedown test with the car at the Idiada Proving Ground in Spain on Tuesday, before arriving at Jerez for the second F1 test two days later.

You can also view the McLaren MP4-26 in 3D on the team’s website.

2011 F1 cars

Browse all 2011 F1 cars articles

Images ?? F1 Fanatic, www.mclaren.com

392 comments on McLaren MP4-26 launch – first pictures

1. DaveW said on 4th February 2011, 15:07

Looks like they swung for the fence this time. Lots of interesting details and some dramatic departures from convention. It seems they are not relying on a super-high, flattened nose to get air to the diffuser, which seems the current style. Since they have gone their own way this year it seems they will either be competitive or we will see the cars soaked in flow-vis every race Friday.

2. Mc Phisto said on 4th February 2011, 15:11

The chrome livery looks cheaper every year.

• Soon it will have rust showing through.

• fordsrule said on 5th February 2011, 5:31

And the Ferrari red that they have every year? I dont get how people can say crap about McLaren for having the same livery for the last couple of years when Ferrari do the exact same.

3. the edge said on 4th February 2011, 15:18

Being a fan of Mclaren…or Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes (as Lewis would put it) I wish Him & Jenson all the best for the double

The MP4 26 certainly looks well developed…but so did the 25

I’m pretty sure the boys at Mclaren wouldn’t have missed a trick with the exhausts second time round but as for beating the soft drinks manufacturing team…well were not going to know that until Bahrain

4. spezza said on 4th February 2011, 15:22

that nose is fugly
    and looks slow

i hope ^^

5. k i know im being a kid but does anyone know what you click to drive the car on the mclaren website. I can get the rotating 3D video up but dont know what to do to “take it for a spin”

6. nillojapa said on 4th February 2011, 15:27

McLaren is always revolutionary and innovative.
    I hope it’ll be a very good car XD

7. wow, looks lovely and really confident with the design. i think it’s clever enough to work, hopefully it will do the job on the track!

for me the mercedes is still the nicest looking of the new cars. if i had to rank them (which, of course i do) i’d go for a top 3 of…

mercedes
    mclaren
    renault

8. Rob G (@rob-g) said on 4th February 2011, 15:42

What happend to McLarens Hilton decals? And the Polish Stockbroker company?

I usually love the Chrome-Rocket Red livery but it does look a little plain this year, a flash of red on the engine cover would do wonders. Also I already know I’m a noob… but is it push-rod or pull-rod? And finally is that their wing for 2011 or is it just the 2010 one because they certainly developed it a lot so it might still be up to date.

9. Rob G (@rob-g) said on 4th February 2011, 15:42

What happend to McLaren’s Hilton decals? And the Polish Stockbroker company?

10. Spencer said on 4th February 2011, 15:43

I am no expert on car design but, at the rear of the engine cover, is that not a single exhaust outlet?? If so what is the impact of having a single outlet blowing out of the rear of the car towards the rear wing. I for one was dissapointed not to see the Renault style side pod option on the car.

Overall looks are ok, but I am pleased to see the car has pushed the design a bit further than an evolution of the MP4-25. I was in Valencia and was dissapointed to see very little difference in the F150 and RB7 from the 2010 cars.

It has spured me on to buy a pass for Jerez with both my wife and the circuit to go and see this thing on the track. A bold step from McLaren I think.

11. iceshiel said on 4th February 2011, 16:07

I am no maclaren fan but this machine looks like a race winner!

12. LucienTodutz (@lucientodutz) said on 4th February 2011, 16:49

well if they used similar sidepod concept in the past and dropped it… maybe it’s not such a great solution… also i think that it will be banned for next season…:)

…car looks great and the chrome livery is smashing, but my favorite is the Mercedes’s nose’job ;d it’s so eccentric :)

13. everyone’s commenting on the sidepods and stuff etc

but WOW is that a complex front wing!!

14. Popular car! Nearly 300 hits in one afternoon! Can’t think why. LOL

Most of the innards are fake, and some of the outside bits aren’t all that they appear to be either. Looks like it could be another good car. But the 2009 car showed just how wrong a good looking car can be.

15. Isn’t the front wing the 2010 spec wing because they look VERY similar? Or maybe i can’t see the difference?