Robert Kubica suffers multiple fractures in Italian rally crash

2011 F1 season

Robert Kubica was taken to hospital by helicopter

Robert Kubica was taken to hospital by helicopter

Robert Kubica has suffered multiple fractures to his right arm, leg and hand following a crash in a rally in Italy.

Kubica was taken to hospital by helicopter following a crash in the Ronde di Andora rally.

Renault have confirmed he is undergoing medical checks but have not given details about his injuries.

A statement from the team said:

“After undergoing extensive medical checks this morning, Robert Kubica has been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm, leg and hand. He is currently undergoing surgery at the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure.

“Robert suffered a high-speed accident this morning while competing in the Ronde di Andora Rally.

“Daniel Morelli, Robert’s manager, will be available for the press in front of the hospital emergency entrance at 16:30 CET (15:30 GMT).

“Lotus Renault GP driver, Robert Kubica, suffered an accident at high speed this morning while competing in the Ronde di Andora Rally.

“The driver was airlifted to Pietra Ligure Hospital, where he is currently undergoing medical checks. His co-driver is fine.”

He was due to drive at the Jerez test this week. Renault’s third driver is Bruno Senna.

Kubica’s co-driver Jakub Gerber posted “I’m OK” on his Facebook page around an hour ago.

The video below shot earlier in the rally shows the Skoda Fabia S2000 rally car Kubica was driving:

This video shows the aftermath of the crash:

Robert Kubica rally crash

Image ?? Lorenzo Cargiolli – http://www.lorcarg.it

674 comments on Robert Kubica suffers multiple fractures in Italian rally crash

1. Stefan said on 6th February 2011, 21:18

It’s crazy to say that Kubica was able to win the title because Renault’s R31 was fastest at the first test.

We all know (some apparantly still don’t) that laptimes doesn’t say anything, especially not in testing!

I really hope he’ll be ok after all this, and all the other things such as being able to come back in F1 (or in racing in general) is just a bonus for him personally.

2. Robert, get well soon! Best wishes from Poland! I’m sure we will see you again on the top of podium in F1!

3. Maciek said on 6th February 2011, 21:38

Apparently, a tree root that had raised a part of the asphalt was the reason why Kubica lost control of his car, his Skoda lost grip, turned 80 degrees and hit the sharp end of the guardrail very hard.

According to Italian reports, fire fighters had to remove the engine from the car to free Kubica.

Eric Boullier had last week said that from the two reserve drivers, Bruno Senna and Romain Grosjean, Senna was the most ready to replace any of the regular drivers.

4. f1fan said on 6th February 2011, 21:39

20 pages of comments 0_o

5. juans said on 6th February 2011, 21:40

I hope he will be able to race again in an f1 car or other type of racing car. People, please understand that due to the seriousness and substantial damage that the hand received , the doctor at some point ocnsidered to amputate kubica’s hand in order to prevent poor blood circulation, infection and necroptcy to invade the rest of his arm. So it means that his hand was problably destroyed in the crash. I really fear that he might not be able to be the same and that will be a shame .he is humble,classy and a good person. Unlike other drivers ( A.k.a. Hamilton)

By the way alonso went to visit him. I think they are like brothers and wonder what this could mean for him? Probably an extra motivation.

also I read some comments from some people here requesting the surgeon or doctor to learn english.
    Who that hell you think you are? you are the ones that should learn another language, if I speak three why any of you can’t? do you thik the world evolves around you?

• kowalsky (@kowalsky) said on 6th February 2011, 21:57

of course they do.
      The continent is isolated, once read an front page article in a british paper. When in reality what was isolated were the islands.
      They also consider driving from the left is the wrong side, when it’s the other way around.

• Maciek said on 6th February 2011, 21:58

Juans, be cool baby. Some people say things you just need to try to ignore. Like, I might say, your unnecessary, unprovoked, gratuitous pointless and unwarranted jibe at Hamilton.

• Adrian J (@adrian-j) said on 7th February 2011, 8:45

More to the point – he’s a trained surgeon!! Do you really think he has time to worry about his spoken english – and given that the primary language for science in the world IS english I wager that his written english is better than a lot of english people…hell his spoken english already seems better than some english people!!

6. Dave Blanc said on 6th February 2011, 21:42

Just woken up to see the news on Kubica and now i feel sick to the stomach. I’ve read a lot of peoples’ posts but i have to say, it sounds bad – really bad. It’s great that the injuries aren’t life-threatening, but the thought of Robert waking up and realising he may no longer drive again is really disturbing. You often hear how F1 drivers think they are invincible when they are in the cockpit – this is a stark reminder that they are human like the rest of us.
    My thoughts go out to Robert – never give up.

7. Polishboy808 (@polishboy808) said on 6th February 2011, 21:42

Why are my comments awaiting moderation? Neither of them are offensive at all! Why just me? This is really annoying right now…

8. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 6th February 2011, 21:48

It’s not looking good for him! However, it is early days and look how Mark Webber turned it around. I really want to see him back racing and soon and make that team his.

• Mister Nillionaire (@mister-nillionaire) said on 6th February 2011, 21:59

I just think you cannot compare any of the injuries people refer to here (i.e. Massa’s or Webber’s) with what Robert just went through. Simply because in his case a hand bone and nerves structure got injured, and it is necessary for an F1 driver to hold a strong grip on the wheel or be able press any buttons.
      I honestly hope we will still see him in an F1 car in the future, since as they say he might be capable of full recovery. However, we need to look at it realistically, it might as well be the end of his career :(

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th February 2011, 22:09

I hope he fully recovers as well.

Sadly I must say I fear how good Robert will be able to cope. Most drivers who had serious injuries had trouble at least for several months, some never recovered. Brundle nor Panis were ever the same, and just think about the interview Keith had with Häkkinen, where Mika admitted he had to cope with pain ever since adelaide!

I had my wrist broken some 9 years ago, still feel it some times when driving a mountainbike on normal tracks, let alone on rough terrain.

• Mister Nillionaire (@mister-nillionaire) said on 6th February 2011, 22:20

I too, had my wrist broken last year – snowboarding; and have to agree I can still feel the discomfort even when doing some pretty undemanding, usual stuff, be it biking or press-ups. I think you never get rid of that.

9. MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 6th February 2011, 21:51

The operation is over, and doctors say it was successful. They are moderately optimistic about Robert’s recovery, although they say that the rehabilitation may take up to one year.

• Konrad said on 6th February 2011, 22:06

Don’t worry. He’s strong!

In 2003 Robert had an accident in Poland. He was on a passenger seat, had broken his shoulder and doctors were saying it would take up to six months to fully recover after putting 18 bolts in to fix his bones. All that happened 1 day before the first race of GP3 season.
      Six weeks after he came back, drove a brilliant race and won it!!

Same thing happened in Canada. He came back after missing only one race and finished fourth in France! …and than he had won Canadian GP in the next season!

If anyone can recover from such a crash – he is the man!

Lots of love!

• Mister Nillionaire (@mister-nillionaire) said on 6th February 2011, 22:14

Only, this time it not an ‘simple’ injury of just one bone or whatnot; he today suffered multiple fractures (femur and wrist being pretty damn hard to recover from) and injury to his palm’s nerve and muscle tissues. This may not be, and probably will not be, an easy injury to recover from.

Let’s of course be optimistic and hope for a miracle, because he well deserves it to be back doing what he loves – racing.

• Polishboy808 (@polishboy808) said on 6th February 2011, 22:52

Exactly, if anyone can get through this injury quickly its Kubica. Maybe he’ll join mid season? Maybe even earlier!

Oh, and we share the same name :D

10. Lukas said on 6th February 2011, 21:58

hi everyone I want to tell you all that Robert is NOT gonna come back this season, maybe he will come back next season. I am so SAD because Robert is from my country

11. Stefan said on 6th February 2011, 21:59

I think Robert should be very happy with the fact that he might keep his hand. Personally I really don’t care if (or when) he’ll be back on the circuit, that’s just not relevant at this stage at all.

I saw Alonso at the hospital, walking in… another translating asked from an Italian.

at 9:48 you’ll see Alonso, it’s no secret that they’re close friends.

12. Mick_electric said on 6th February 2011, 22:00

Alonso went to see Robert today

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th February 2011, 22:20

Great to see the doctor (by the way, who critisized him not knowing English, he goes into detail here.) telling us he is satisfied to have done everything possible and being positive about the chances.

Good luck Robert, I wish you the best health you can possibly have. Nice to see Fernando visiting in the hospital as well, to support Robert.

13. I really hope Robert will recover, as soon as possible, and hopefully we will see you racing again. BEST WISHES FROM UKRAINE!!!

14. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 6th February 2011, 22:09

622 comments, has to be a record.

I was at work and had to rely on my phone for internet coverage of the story. It was quite scary for the first hour, after Henry Surtees and Shoya Tomizawa this stuff makes me feel uneasy. And then the amputation rumours, horrible.

But let’s look on the bright side, he’s alive, nothing has yet been said about his career ending.