Virgin MVR-02 launch – first pictures

2011 F1 cars

Virgin have launched their 2011 F1 car, the MVR-02.

The car was launched at BBC Television Centre in London.

As last year, the car was designed entirely using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), without using a wind tunnel.

Following the arrival of Russian sports car company Maurssia as an investor the team are now registered under a Russian licence. The air intake on the front of the MVR-02 is designed to resemble the one on Marussia’s B2 road car.

The car will run for the first time in the Jerez test later this week. Some of the car’s internals, including its hydraulics, were already run on the VR-01 at Valencia last week.

Designer Nick Wirk confirmed the MVR-02 has not been designed to use KERS, citing the expense of developing the technology as a reason for its absence.

2011 F1 cars

Browse all 2011 F1 cars articles

185 comments on Virgin MVR-02 launch – first pictures

1. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 7th February 2011, 13:42

Looks a little on the tiny side..or maybe that’s the low nose throwing me off. Boring as hell livery but glad they got rid of that silly pattern they had going on last year.

2. xtophe said on 7th February 2011, 14:16

That is one ugly car.

3. i feel there are hardly any updates on the car besides the new nose, and the car is prolly lower than last years. They could have easily gone to copy one of winning cars last season, but they choose to go with their own way… lets see where they measure up on the track against their own expectation. i kinda like this team it’s doing it’s own thing, it’s not claiming past glory or something, it’s only doing CFD… they may or may not succeed, but atleast they are fresh / original.

4. Why is everybody being so negative about this car? Nobody has seen it in action, and there are loads of subtle developments to this car over last years.

I’d also like to add that CFD doesn’t design the car, thats done by humans! CFD just models the flow of air over the car (i.e. tests the aerodynamics) so it still is a human being designing the bits and pieces attached to the car! So thinking outside the box is still completely possible, it is then just aero tested by the CFD!

• DobarDabar said on 7th February 2011, 15:10

That’s because there is no innovation in this new car, and one of the primary driving force in formula 1 is technical evolution/innovation that people like. This is cowardly design that I hope will fail. And that is also why I salute McLaren’s MP4-26!

• And what kind of expert exactly are you to be able to see if there is any innovation in this car? If they are closer to the midfield than last year they’ll’ve made a step forward – which is all that can be expected from a brand new team on a low budget. I don’t expect the lotus to be much further ahead either.

• So designing a modern F1 car without using a windtunnel is cowardly?

The all-CFD approach may turn out to be inspired or utterly misguided, but either way it isn’t cowardly.

• DobarDabar said on 7th February 2011, 18:28

I am even sure that CFD is the future of car design. It is not CFD that I’m questioning it is the will to try something new using CFD. Ok, maybe I went to far with this “cowardly” design, but at the end it says that I am disappointed, as many are.

5. Aetost (@aetost) said on 7th February 2011, 15:20

Well, leaving the jokes and the low nose criticism aside, creating an evolutionary design is the most logical solution. Think about it, they are new in the business, have limited budget and they are using never-before tried techniques. Trying to extract as much potential as possible from an existing concept is the only way to go. The risk is so much smaller

6. Im a little underwhelmed like others. Im not saying i was expecting a Redbull or a Macca, but it looks a little too much like last years, only with a much better front wing. I know that they have a budget which they want to speak to, but i feel they could have thrown their nets out a little further and be a little more daring, rather then playing it safe again.

Its still a good looing car though, Red & Black always looks sexy on race cars. I hope they do well and earn some points, Virgin (and T.Lotus) come across as being very Fan friendly and its hard to not to like them or want them to do well. I hope they do (/w Lotus ofc) and make the grid alot more interesting.

• oh, and i meant to say that i think designing it with the intention of not fitting KERS in at some stage is a mistake. Again, i know its a cost thing, but if KERS proves to make such a difference and is the thing between achieving 10th or 11th, then it could be disasterous not to have thought about making allowances. I know Lotus havent either, but they have said that their design should allow it to be fitted if choosen later.

• We should try to remember here, that maybe just like the other teams, we aren’t seeing the finished article?

7. I really like it! Looks nice, hated the tribal design on last years cars. With the backing of a sports car company hopefully they’ll improve!

8. McG (@mcg) said on 7th February 2011, 15:47

It looks more functional than last years, but the exhausts don’t look very functional. Where are they blowing onto? Nowhere?

The livery looks quite nice. Liiks like it’s glowing white hot as it’s going so fast!

I hope they do well, it’s nice to see backmarkers coming through and mixing it up.

9. YeaMon said on 7th February 2011, 16:08

I think it’s nice looking livery wise. Unfortunately some people can never be pleased, but I think they did a good job.

As for the car I hope it’s a stride forward for the team. I think the majority will say that lotus will out pace them, but I hope virgin can score a handful of points this season.

10. I have a feeling this car will either be very fast or miserably miserably slow. I don’t think this is much of a middle ground car.

• Really? I feel it’s the opposite. I think it’s an evolution and an improvement, but not a leap of faith. I think we’ll see it mid pack at best.

11. matt88 (@matt88) said on 7th February 2011, 16:25

an ugly car with more sponsors… maybe not so bad.

12. Mads (@mads) said on 7th February 2011, 16:41

Brilliant looking thing. Not really the livery, that is not the best in the world, but the shape is fantastic. I like the low nose, it makes the car look faster and more like a racing car. Not sure how different it looks from last years car, but they have probably focused more on reliability then anything else.

13. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 7th February 2011, 16:45

Looks good how much stake does Maurssia own in this team.

14. Chalky said on 7th February 2011, 16:52

I really want to like the car, but the first thought that came into my mind was “Platypus” when I saw it.

Not the prettiest F1 car for this year, but if they all looked the same we’d get bored in the off season.

I just hope it competes this year with others rather than challenges itself.

15. Grace said on 7th February 2011, 18:05

HUUUUGE question…

Look at the front brake ducts

They are hiding behind the top flap of the front wing. How is that supposed to be affective? The amount of turbulence between the wing and the duct would be so bad that an insufficient flow could get in and cool the brakes subitably.