Kubica “ready to fight for his comeback”, say Renault

2011 F1 season

Robert Kubica, Renault, Valencia, 2011

Robert Kubica, Renault, Valencia, 2011

Robert Kubica is continuing to recover from his injuries according to Renault.

The team issued a statement saying he will undergo further surgery on his shoulder, foot and elbow over the next week:

“Today, Robert?s general condition has once again improved. According to the doctors, the levels of inflammation are in the norm considering his medical condition, and the recovery of his forearm remains encouraging.

“Yesterday, Robert was able to talk to his doctors and relatives. His medication makes him sleep quite a lot, but he is responding to all external stimulation. He has reacted well to the news about his condition and is ready to fight for his comeback.

“On Thursday, Robert should undergo some more surgery in order to stabilise the fractures to his right shoulder and right foot. Three or four days later, another operation will allow his elbow fracture to be stabilised as well.

“Robert will remain at the Santa Corona Hospital for two to three weeks. A decision will then be taken about where he should go in order to continue his rehabilitation.”

Robert Kubica rally crash

Image ?? Julien Leroy / firstlap.be

36 comments on Kubica “ready to fight for his comeback”, say Renault

1. kfpog said on 8th February 2011, 12:59

He’ll be fit and kickin’

2. Andy C said on 8th February 2011, 12:59

Good news. He obviously has a lot of surgery ahead to get him pieced back together.

I was pretty shocked to see where that piece of armco ended up (right out of the back of the car). It is a harsh reminder that his outcome, however injured he is, could have been a whole lot worse. thank goodness for small mercies.

• Same thought that came to me. Watching the onboard video of the car following behind his crash was intense. The reaction from the Italian driver & co. driver Reminded me of the same sort of shaky adrenaline rush you get in a nightmare.

I’m sure they thought the accident was worse when they saw the armco out the back of the car.

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 8th February 2011, 13:02

If Kubica is aiming for a return some time this season, you can rule out the likes of Raikkonen returning to the sport. There’s no way he’d agree to compete in half a season.

4. The news about Rob gets better by the day, he’ll back, ain’t got no doubt in my mind about it.

5. Victor. said on 8th February 2011, 13:11

My friend and I agreed to shave our heads completely should Kubica made a comeback and win in Monte Carlo. I’m fairly sure I’ll keep my hair, however, I do see him coming back soon. All reports sound great. Don’t count out a Norisring 2003 repeat! :)

6. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 8th February 2011, 13:28

Kubica’s accident if that’s how it have had happened.

7. BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th February 2011, 13:34

Great to hear good prospects. But I wouldn’t bet on Kubica returning this year (do not count it out completely, but …).

8. Jeremy said on 8th February 2011, 14:36

Yes it’s encouraging. Let’s be hopeful but realistic, though. As well as the physical wounds there’s a lot for him to come to terms with mentally, and that’s an important process. I know he’s a strong character but… If it were me I think that even though it might not actually make me scared to get back in a car (of course, it might!), it would still take quite some time to stop dwelling on my own mortality. You surely have to put that stuff behind you to focus on racing. Whatever Felipe said, it’s tempting to think that he didn’t really manage that part of the recovery completely before coming back.

To return to F1 this year would be great insofar as it would let him prepare for next year, but that’s quite enough to hope for at this stage.

Wishing you well, Robert.

9. Bigbadderboom said on 8th February 2011, 15:16

I think he should write off any thoughts of racing this year and focus on recovery and rehabilitation. I wish him all the luck on his return to health, but from the injuries being reported it sounds as if his fitness is going to suffer massively while he recovers. But if he can race in 2012 then he and we should be thankful for small mercies. The fact is that this could have been so much worse as others have already pointed out.

10. adamtys (@adamtys) said on 8th February 2011, 18:28

reconstruction of accident (computer animation) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsXkXjVjjL8

11. Ranilom said on 9th February 2011, 3:13

This article mention that the guardrail could have been repaired; found 2 pcs overlapping with no bolts(pending final investigation)

Guardrails poorly repaired are death traps, they are more dangerous than the rally itself.

12. Pink Pirelli said on 9th February 2011, 11:53

Best wishes to Kubica & heres hoping for a full recovery. I think that Robert should just ignore the ‘timeframes’ everyone is espousing and just concentrate on himself, his body will tell him if and when he is ready for a comeback.