Which is the best-looking F1 car of 2011?

Debates and polls

The 12 F1 cars of 2011 have all been revealed and we won’t know for sure until the first race of the year which of them is quickest.

But we can make a call on which of them is the best-looking.

Which team do you think has the best-looking car on the grid this year? Compare them and cast your vote below.

Click each image for more pictures of the cars.

Red Bull RB7

Renault R31

Vitaly Petrov, Renault, Valencia, 2011

Vitaly Petrov, Renault, Valencia, 2011

Williams FW33

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Valencia, 2011

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Valencia, 2011

The Williams has not yet been seen in its final livery.

Force India VJM04

HRT F111

HRT F111

Virgin MVR-02

Virgin MVR-02

Virgin MVR-02

Cast your vote

Which is the best-looking F1 car of 2011?

Which is the best-looking F1 car of 2011?

• Red Bull RB7 (4%)
  • HRT F111 (9%)
  • Virgin MVR-02 (1%)

Total Voters: 637

Loading ... Loading ...

2011 F1 cars

Browse all 2011 F1 cars articles

Images ?? Julien Leroy / firstlap.be except McLaren and Virgin (F1 Fanatic), Force India (Force India F1 Team) and HRT (Motioncompany)

345 comments on Which is the best-looking F1 car of 2011?

1 2 3 9
  1. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 9th February 2011, 7:58

It’s a toss up between the Mercedes and Team Lotus for me, with an honourable mention to HRT for a great livery.

• Sudeepcarfreak said on 9th February 2011, 8:14

I THINK THE HRT is the best as far as looks are concerned….but the Mclaren looks great when science come into the party

• 1992 Peugeot Talbot Sport (@peugeot-905-92-93-le-mans-winner) said on 9th February 2011, 8:18

The HRT looks a bit of the old Malboro McLaren.

But I think the Ferrari is best looking as it also did in 2010

• Hare (@hare) said on 9th February 2011, 9:55

….. really? Checked flags on it? I couldn’t imaging a more different looking red and white car.

Funnily enough, at the time, I always though the McLaren was sponsored by the Evening Standard delivery vans… similar livery :P

• Hare (@hare) said on 9th February 2011, 10:11

The Ferrari livery is just red with stickers.. There’s no artistic attempt there. But then if you like that sort of thing…

• miguelF1O (@) said on 9th February 2011, 17:20

At first it looks weird without sponsor but now I believe like in notmal cars that the great Ferrari red corsa shouldnt have sponsor shame is the santander turd looking decal

• miguelF1O (@) said on 9th February 2011, 10:55

maybe but no one can admit it so many rivalrys here anyway WHY is the mclaren in 2nd pos and the Ferrari 3rd I thought it was Red bull Ferrari Mclaren

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 9th February 2011, 11:49

Well, that would seem to be simple that McLaren were 2nd in the WCC in 2010, and the WCC result is how the teams are listed.

• miguelF1O (@) said on 9th February 2011, 17:23

@bosyber that aint true when the champion changes team he carrys the n1 like the 96 ferrari that had schumis number

• james_mc said on 9th February 2011, 20:14

It goes as follows:

No1 – follows the current WDC (if he retires or leaves the number “0″ is given to the “lead” driver of the WCC champions)

No2 – Team-mate of WDC

No3 & No 4 – Cars belonging to the highest-placed constructor in the previous championship which isn’t already assigned a number. In this case RBR in 2010, Mercedes as Button took 1 to McLaren and Hamilton inherited 2.

• khairul said on 10th February 2011, 2:25

i think HRT look alike old Lucky Strike teams… now we have 3 “virtual tobacco company” in F1, Marlboro, JPS & Lucky Strike…

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th February 2011, 8:24

Hey, look – it’s me from another forum!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th February 2011, 9:00

That’s the reason the call is out on that car. I would not call it good looking, rather interesting.

• anTONIo said on 9th February 2011, 10:11

You probably say that because you don’t have an Engineering degree…

I can give you at least 2 flows in design compared to RB7

• Movement (@movement) said on 9th February 2011, 10:39

Flaws? Go on then, please enlighten those of us without the brilliant engineering degree?

• Movement (@movement) said on 9th February 2011, 10:40

I should make clear that I am not disputing that there are flaws, I am sure there could be hundreds, more that until we see the car turn a wheel its a little premature to mark the flaws…that is all.

• Keirdre said on 9th February 2011, 12:56

@anTONIo

Are you talking about flaws in the design of the livery, or the actual car? Because you suggesting that you can spot flaws in a car designed by Adrian Newey and a team of people, just because you have an engineering degree and have seen some pictures…is just laughable. I hope I’m just misunderstanding you!

• miguelF1O (@) said on 9th February 2011, 17:26

Flaws? is that what you mean? If you can see better than the wind tunnel and the computers why arent you working on hrt. I can see why you say that but you cant say that you know better than any f1 team

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 9th February 2011, 12:38

Love the HRT.

Best-looking car for me means livery so my favourites are:

Toro Rosso, Renault, HRT, Virgin Force India.

Sauber is the worst ever created.

• Sudeepcarfreak said on 10th February 2011, 7:53

well its b’coz of science dat has made the look of the mclaren mp4-26 striking!!!!

• Is it just me or does the HRT livery look rather… American… And the sauber a bit too. Just of kind plain car and stick block logos on it and then wacks on some lines here and there style. I think that the Sauber livery could go very well in say a NASCAR kind of setting and the HRT in Indy.

Compared to the more european liveries of the ugly renault (tema lotus black and gold was way better), the redbull, hte lotus, the mercedes etc…

btw I’m still waiting for a TVR style paint job

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 9th February 2011, 9:39

I agree with GeeMac. Team Lotus is the best in my opinion with Mercedes just behind.

In general, this years liveries are quite bland though. I’m looking forward to seeing the final incarnation of Williams’ though, they usually have the best liveries in my opinion

• miguelF1O (@) said on 9th February 2011, 10:53

Me too I dont know what people are seeing on the new mclaren i can only justify so many votes for home proud or team favouritism theres a lot of mclaren fans worldwide if i had chose that path i would have voted Ferrari

• i can only justify so many votes for home proud or team favouritism

Whats the problem with that?

• miguelF1O (@) said on 9th February 2011, 20:10

I’m a fan of dome teams, some more than other (not going to reveal) but i didnt vote on my teams car i voted on the one that blew my mind the one that changed the most and to a better looking car of course on the same step as the red bull

• Hare (@hare) said on 9th February 2011, 20:40

Miguel…. Look at me in the eyes and say you are not a Ferrari fan…. Come on mate, do it….. Cos I assume the f10 at the end of your name isn’t your bra size, or your favourite focal length.

And did you vote HRT? I voted HRT…

• Mike (@mike) said on 10th February 2011, 5:27

Look at me in the eyes and say you are not a Ferrari fan

He is a Ferrari fan, and he said he voted for someone else. I respect that.

• spectator said on 10th February 2011, 1:12

thats why i said

(not going to reveal

just joking I voted lotus

• Damon said on 9th February 2011, 11:13

Mercedes?!? Seriously?
      That car isn’t ugly – it’s disgusting.

McLaren is very pretty, prolly the no.1 – but I need to see the frontal view to make the final call.
      Lotus is pretty – it’s a prettier version of the Renault which is also pretty.
      HRT – pretty, though I need the frontal view as well.

And as for the coulour schemes – HRT reigns supreme :)

• I think you’ve mixed yourself up, the Merc is the beautifully flowing one, The Mclaren is the alarmingly interesting but equally ugly one.

I can’t believe the Mclaren is this popular, it just doesn’t look good, I mean, The Livery has never been particularly special, shiny maybe, but special no, and I’ll say I’m really interested by their design, but just not from a perspective of artistic merit.

• Felipe Bomeny (@portugoose) said on 9th February 2011, 12:50

I do think the Mercedes is a stunning car, but I voted for the Hispania car. Sure, it needs some work and they could probably work some orange into the livery to differentiate it from the red and white GP2 cars, but I voted for HRT because it’s clever, a total improvement from last year, but overall, it’s new and differrent, and I think everyone wanted to see a completely different livery this year.

• I agree, thumbs up for HRT.

What I find funny, is how this one good livery has changed it from the team every rags on, to everyone’s 2nd favourite.

I think the teams should tae notice of this trend. because the sponsors would appreciate it.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 9th February 2011, 20:47

Agreed. There really should be two polls here, one for the car, the other for the livery. I think the Merc is the most graceful and sculpted looking car. It’s not my favorite livery. For that I would have to say my favorites are Team Lotus and *gulp* Renault (the red’s bothering me less and less as I get used to it).

• Keith said on 9th February 2011, 21:16

I’m a die-hard McLaren fan and I’ll be cheering for the MP4-26, but that thing is UGLY.

For looks alone, Renault gets my vote

@Lancer033

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 9th February 2011, 22:44

The Renault looks great, possibly the best if they were all the same colour, but is ruined by its livery. If they’d done a better job with the gold on it and taken the red off it would be fine, and even better in last years colours (preferably also without the red).

• Duke (@duke) said on 9th February 2011, 14:42

The McLaren is the ugly one.Mercedes is stylish,has a flair the others do not have.

• Dianna said on 9th February 2011, 20:00

There should be a poll for the UGLIEST car and McLaren would win that for sure :)

• Nigelstash (@nigelstash) said on 9th February 2011, 21:03

The McLaren isn’t ugly, but it is a much more aggressive looking car than their last attempt, which looked amazing but wasn’t fast enough. Let’s hope it’s the other way around this season. To be honest, most of the cars are not too pretty under current regulations, so it takes a good livery to bring things together. I do think on the Merc the livery combines with the form of the car really well. Its a beauty.

• miguelF1O (@) said on 9th February 2011, 17:28

Damon, if you say that the mercedes is disgusting and love the mclaren you are the exact oposite of the majoraty of people who arent mclaren fans

• Calum said on 9th February 2011, 13:12

I agree – Merc for best looking car design, but not best livery.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 9th February 2011, 13:49

I voted Red Bull because I like the car’s shape and also the livery.

• @ GeeMac

Completely agree, well besides the HRT part.

The Mercedes does look amazing, the body and the livery. I’m liking the Lotus a lot surprising as well.

Both the Virgin and Toro Rosso cars look very poor compared to the rest of the field.

Renault isn’t bad either in my opinion. No surprise McLaren is at the top of this pole.
      I’d put McLaren in the middle for looks and livery, same with Ferrari.

• SeattleChris (@seattlechris) said on 9th February 2011, 18:00

Really? Mclaren’s car is the best looking? The look was refreshing and beautiful 3 seasons ago, but for my mind it is like voting Ferrari just because they’ve stuck with the same look. Both cars are beautiful but have to be a bit out of the running since they’ve not changed hardly at all. For all the people on here who hate Ferrari and voted for the Mclaren- You are the Tifosi of England; admit to the hypocrisy and be cleansed… if you are Catholic there is an app for that!

• Exactly!

The amount of English bias on this site always surprises me.

I would go for Renault, Mercedes then HRT

• Hare (@hare) said on 9th February 2011, 20:20

So you voted for the English based, British flagged team Lotus Renault, followed by the English based, English led team Mercedes, whos engines are made in England?

You must be English then!! Damned bias strikes again. 2/3 of the teams are based in England, what do you expect?

McLaren is picking up votes more because it’s radical than anything else, and people like that. People like F1 when it get radical.

• Mike-e said on 10th February 2011, 9:56

Keith, can you dig that stat up again about less than 1/3 of the site’s traffic being from Britain…….

• Hare (@hare) said on 9th February 2011, 20:29

So the Tifosi need to confess their sins to the Pope? People who support Ferrari are sinners?

Really?

besides, what’s wrong with voting with you heart? It’s a SPORT!

You don’t go to a football match and cheer the team that’s technically more proficient do you? You find a team you love, and you support them. Same with baseball, America football, Rugby, Cricket, Basketball…

… Darts, Curling, team ironing

Stands to reason: That beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you love a team, it’s more likely to appeal to you.

• Jarred Walmsley (@jarred-walmsley) said on 9th February 2011, 18:10

Same here, It truly is a fantastic livery from them, but is ruined by the fact the car is most likely going to be a hunk of junk.

And I think some people are underestimating HRT based on 2010, however since they were so bad they would have started work on the F111 considerably earlier than the other teams and may well have a semi-decent car to go with their fantastic livery

• Speed Damon said on 9th February 2011, 19:56

Right so…
        RedBull – Looks the same as last year’s
        McLaren – Interesting design but same old livery
        Ferrari – Ditto Red Bull
        Mercedes – Catastrophically bad
        Renault – Great livery. Great car?
        Williams – It has no livery so to speak of
        Force India – Same old
        Sauber – Improvement on last year’s
        Toro Rosso – Getting bored of that livery now
        Lotus – Classic. Old. Boring.
        HRT – OMG! Love it.
        Virgin – Duller than las year’s

• Mike (@mike) said on 10th February 2011, 6:07

Catastrophically bad

What?

And how do you get

Lotus – Classic. Old. Boring.

But for the Renault get

Renault – Great livery. Great car?

Both are “Classic old liveries” And only the Lotus has actually done it right.

• Speed Damon said on 11th February 2011, 20:43

Lotus isn’t anything new really. It’s very plain. Renault is a bit better, and I think (having only recently got really into F1)that it looks great. Was hoping for something… I dunno, better from Lotus this year what with their new tech etc.
            As for the Merc… I mean just look at it. It looks like something some one just ate and then spat out.

2. Sush Meerkat said on 9th February 2011, 8:04

I’m voting for the F1F KC-01 from the round up today.

3. tombong (@tombong) said on 9th February 2011, 8:05

Mercedes GP or Lotus Renault GP… hmmm decision, decision

• Tommy C (@tommy-c) said on 9th February 2011, 10:07

That’s my thoughts exactly. I had to vote mercedes though. when i first saw it thought it was awesome. i had to wait a bit for the renault (black and gold) to grow on me. the Lotus (green and gold) is a close 3rd.

4. fordsrule (@fordsrule) said on 9th February 2011, 8:08

I think the McLaren, love the air box and the side pods, but I also like the look of the Mercedes.

5. Cristian (@cristian) said on 9th February 2011, 8:10

I voted Mercedes but McLaren is a close 2nd.

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th February 2011, 8:10

I’m hard-pressed to pick. It will be either the Virgin, Renault or Mercedes for me. There’s no car that is truly ugly, though I will say that the McLaren is not a pretty car, either. Ferrari, Sauber and Toro Rosso all tie in the award for having the car most like last year’s (funnily enough, they’re all Ferrari-powered), whilst the Force India simply doesn’t do it for me. And Team Lotus get the prize for the worst livery, with that giant streak of canary yellow on the engine cowling that just ruins the green.

7. Pinball said on 9th February 2011, 8:12

Best Looking Livery: HRT
    Best Looking Shape: Ferarri
    Best Overall Look (Livery + Shape): Red Bull

Worst Livery: Virgin (shame it was really nice last year)
    Worst Shape: McLaren (I don’t like the look of the L shape side inlets, maybe they work well but don’t look that great)
    Worst Overall Look (Livery + Shape): Renault (the red end plates are gross, and it has big gaping side inlets)

8. seriously people, the mclaren? its horrendous.

9. frankus28 (@frankus28) said on 9th February 2011, 8:15

With RB5/6 charms, simple curves and a nicely designed bull graphic, the Toro Rosso won’t win much this year, but it wins my vote for the best looking.

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 9th February 2011, 8:22

I agree with you completely frankus! Plus it’s the only car with real sidepods, not warped, miniaturized ones, and I love that double floor!

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 9th February 2011, 8:23

I do give honorable mention to Mercedes, that thing is striking, and HRT – I love that livery.

• frankus28 (@frankus28) said on 9th February 2011, 10:34

Mmm, I was going to vote for Mercedes before I chose STR because they really worked hard to make the Petronas aquamarine work with the dull silver this year, far exceeding the spray-can job of last season. Unfortunately, the W02 has too many lumps and bumps for me.

I agree with you on the HRT livery! My guess is that they paid a designer a fraction of what Sauber did and got a better result! I suppose they didn’t have any trouble with sponsors (“what’s a sponsor??”) bickering over logo space and colour schemes.

10. Sudeepcarfreak said on 9th February 2011, 8:17

HRT has definitely the best livery…no doubt…
    Ferrari has always been with that typical prancinghorse looks…but Mclaren livery is outstanding, mercedes also looks good…

but my vote to HRT

11. Definitely Mercedes. However I’m not sure it’s fair to run this poll until we’ve seen the HRT in the metal (and not just CGI), or Williams’ definitive livery.

12. Kest (@kest) said on 9th February 2011, 8:25

Although it pains me to say it, I think the McLaren is the best looking car.

13. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 9th February 2011, 8:29

I love the Mercedes, apart from the nose, its stunning with a great livery!

The McLaren is beautiful from the side, but not so much from the front.

The Renault is magnificent, as is the Red Bull. I’d also prefer the Williams to stay just how it is, instead of what it looked like when Pastor Maldonado drove it in that demo.

14. sato113 (@sato113) said on 9th February 2011, 8:30

haha. lol. :D

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 9th February 2011, 8:36

Maybe you should check the poll results before laughing.

• Hamish said on 9th February 2011, 9:04

.co.uk……..

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 9th February 2011, 9:38

Not this old debate again…

• Hamish said on 9th February 2011, 10:11

Sorry, couldn’t help myself. Im that guy that sees and well lit fire and just wants to biff gasoline on it.

• sid90 (@sid90) said on 9th February 2011, 10:29

@Hamish
          Renault and Williams are both from England as well, just in case you didn’t know…

• miguelF1O (@) said on 9th February 2011, 20:15

No one likes the only true british team (williams) and the only reason its because it aint wining mclaren was founded y an aussie and renault saw their glory years when renault money was flooding

• Hare (@hare) said on 9th February 2011, 20:46

Actually.. F1 FANATIC .co .uk

You come to a site with the term FANATIC in the title then throw blame around for people who are actually FANS of a team….

Are you the sort of person who watches Scooby Doo and then reels in shock when we find out the ghost isn’t real, but it’s actually one of the bit part characters?

Come on dude… Let go of the old hitting stick. This topic is well beat.

• Mike (@mike) said on 10th February 2011, 6:18

Bruce Mclaren is from New Zealand…

• @Mike yup, and that orange swish that is the McLaren Logo? It’s actually a ‘speedy kiwi’ design..

I know.. I found it hard to believe too, but it is :)

• RIISE (@riise) said on 9th February 2011, 9:04

Maybe you should check the poll results before laughing.

Why are you like that on this site? He was obviously referring to his username, not that the McLaren looked bad.

Seriously I find it very hard to find positive comments from you.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 9th February 2011, 12:15

I didn’t understand that his comment was directed at his username. If he thought the livery was ugly, I just wanted to point out that a majority of people would disagree with him.

I might not have as many positive comments to please your positive, and incredibly vibrant personality, but then again, I’m sick of people who read way too much into basic comments and take them in a negative sense, or interpret them in a spiteful manner.

I’m sorry if my presence offends you, maybe you shouldn’t look for positivity in my comments. Simply ignoring my comment is fine by me. Have a nice day

15. DobarDabar said on 9th February 2011, 8:30