Hamilton: MP4-26 “an improvement”

2011 F1 testing

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Jerez, 2011

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Jerez, 2011

Lewis Hamilton described the McLaren MP4-26 as a “step forward” over its predecessor after driving it for the first time today.

Speaking to reporters at Jerez he said: “How it felt today was definitely a step forward.

“Whether that’s aero or mechanical, I haven’t yet identified exactly which part it is but it it’s a good thing that it feels good initially.

“My initial response was that it felt quite comfortable to drive and there’s certain areas I noticed particularly that were quite a good improvement on last year.

“We didn’t do that many runs today, we had quite a lot of programmes to get through. So I was really doing what a test driver would do: just go out and do this test, that test. We did that all day generally.

“The car feels good, it’s positive. My initial thought was it’s a good step better than last year so I was quite happy with it.”

He drove 58 laps in the car today but cautioned against drawing hasty conclusions: “We still have work to do, it’s very early days.”

He hasn’t used the adjustable rear wing yet and only briefly tried KERS: “I literally only used it in the last two or three laps we did. It feels exactly the same as it did in 2009.”

Hamilton said he still gets a buzz out of driving a new F1 car for the first time as he enters his fifth season with McLaren:

“I’ve been here five years, whatever it is. And it’s crazy to think – I remember the first time I got in a Formula 1 car, the excitement I had then – I still have that excitement now.

“When I walk alongside it and look at all the different things, the detail, see how it’s been put together, and know that’s my baby, that’s what I’m going to go out and try to tame. It’s still the coolest job and the coolest thing ever.”

2011 F1 testing

Browse all 2011 F1 testing articles

Image ?? F1 Fanatic. If you wish to use this image please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission

49 comments on Hamilton: MP4-26 “an improvement”

1. Interesting they hardly used KERS and MRW.

That might come tomorrow as they move through the program.

2. Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 10th February 2011, 18:12

I love Hamilton’s obvious enthusiasm with what he was saying there.

• When I walk alongside it and look at all the different things, the detail, see how it’s been put together, and know that’s my baby, that’s what I’m going to go out and try to tame. It’s still the coolest job and the coolest thing ever

That just sums up Hamilton for me – he’s still just living his childhood dream (and who can blame him). He has the best job in the world and he’s not letting himself forget it.

3. Sounds to me like he’s making that up… don’t sound enthusiastic at all! more like making sure the sponsors think the car is fast… is this another mp4-19? i think so! :(

• driftin said on 10th February 2011, 18:31

Early days yet, don’t jump to conclusions. Remember last year’s tests? Sauber were up there with the RBRs and Ferraris and look where they ended up.

• Larcem (@larcem) said on 10th February 2011, 18:33

why do you think so? the car has been on the track for one day and you already jump to this conclusion?

• George (@george) said on 10th February 2011, 20:16

That’s the feeling I get too mike, if it was really good I think he would be less reserved about it.

• David BR said on 10th February 2011, 23:53

Or not. For some reason I’m expecting McLaren to hide their hand more this year, and have one or more tricks up their sleeve. Last year was all about being open and above board, partly to show Button was going to adapt well to his new team and team mate and ensure their was no chance for media misunderstandings between the drivers. Worked in terms of the drivers, but McLaren were kind of flat-footed. Maybe wrong, but I think they’ll be throwing a big vat of red herrings until Bahrain.

• SeattleChris (@seattlechris) said on 11th February 2011, 5:02

I believe all the teams are trying to be coy, but as we all guess the RBR, Merc, Mc and Ferr are going to “suddenly” get much faster, I have a similar feeling but that it will be the Ford F150 that crushes everyone in the first 5-6 races…

My feeling is that Massa accidentally put in that low lap early thinking the other cars would run with low fuel… notice he never improved the lap time despite the track getting tackier as the day went on.

They may be sneaky fast over a single lap this year; a change from years past.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 11th February 2011, 8:58

The 2011 cars are going to be slower than the 2010 ones. When last year the 2010 car was much faster than their 2009 car.

Obviously that has an impact on how a driver reports about the car.

4. verstappen said on 10th February 2011, 18:22

Yeah Lewis, you got that right!

I’m no fan of his, ‘chemical thing’ that is, just don’t like him talking about how outstanding his own lap was, but I’m glad he’s part of F1. Becasue he netertaines uis a lot!

And the above quote..so true!

5. Remebering that the MP4/25 was the best car he’s ever had (or something along those lines around 12months ago), the MP4/26 must be a out & out winner! ;)

I hope this car makes sure Mclaren are pushing for wins, and that theres 3/4 teams that are capable of doing that as well. Noone likes a dominate team, as it isnt that entertaining.

6. Todfod (@todfod) said on 10th February 2011, 18:35

I know we are not supposed to read way too much into these testing times, but if you look at the lap times on some of Mclaren’s long stint’s, they were pretty consistent and impressive. Considering that this was only their first day of testing in the new car, they actually looked really promising. I think on the last day of the Jerez test Mclaren will show their true pace.

7. michael said on 10th February 2011, 18:40

@mike I am guessing you mean the MP$-18 which eventually was never raced???

anyhow it is interesting to see that Whitmarsh is doing a Ron Ron with this MP4-26 only at a much earlier stage of his command time at the helm of McLaren F1. so I can only hope this car turns out to be a revelation for all the right reasons. I also wonder wether the car was built around Jenson Button as he remarked in the mclaren video.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th February 2011, 19:28

Built around Jenson in the sense, that the Cockpit is made to fit him (with him being definitely bigger than Lewis it was a bit of a compromise last year), not making the car with only him in mind.

• DeadManWoking said on 10th February 2011, 19:37

No, he meant the MP4-19 which was developed for the 2004 season out of the 2003 MP4-18 which had failed it’s crash tests twice and was never raced, McLaren instead contesting the 2003 season with the MP4-17D version of the 2002 car. The MP4-19 was so bad in 2004 that it was replaced halfway through the season by the MP4-19B which was in fact a completely new design.

8. MinusTwo said on 10th February 2011, 19:51

Totally. I know he can be difficult at times, but it really seems genuine when he’s all excited about driving. When he says “I just love racing” I believe him.

It’s just nice to see real appreciation and passion in a professional athlete.

9. Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 10th February 2011, 20:01

I immediately remembered that statement about MP4-25. That’s probably why this “improvement” doesn’t sound nearly as enthusiastic to me.
    However, it is April vs February, and of cours this is just standard pre-season chatting that Lewis is doing.

• I agree, but he wouldnt immediatly be screaming from the rooftops that it was the F1 car to end all F1 cars. I think its a case that the lads pretty good at flying the corperate flag for Vodafone Mclaren-Mercedes and trying to keep the sponsors happy knowing their money is making a fast car. Nothing wrong with that, its a small part of any drivers job.

Although I think Lewis would be less loud if the car was a dog to drive, so its a case of reading into what he’s saying. Smoke & mirrors, as testing is to us all.

10. Irvine said on 10th February 2011, 20:11

I smell blood….

Mclaren is playing catch-up on testing, lets wait till this weekend b4 we judge.

11. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 10th February 2011, 20:26

I’ve been here five years, whatever it is

You’re right Lewis. It really is crazy to think that this will be your fifth season. I still think of him as the 2007 rookie!

12. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 11th February 2011, 2:04

Both Hamilton & Button have to pray that the car is reliable so that they can get as much as possible track time as they can as they are trailing the other drivers.

• I agree but yesterday they only did 58 laps.. Alonso on the first day of testing did 108! I wonder why they aren’t racking up the miles?

I no its only testing and cant read into the time too much(Red Bull were hardly at the top of the testing times in the 2010 tests) but for some reason I am doubting the McLaren this year… it just seem far to much of a radical design.

If my money was on a midfield car to fight for wins this year I would go with Force India.

13. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 11th February 2011, 9:09

I don’t understand when people keep saying that Hamilton’s laptimes were disappointing. If you look at the timesheets, he was driving as fast as Massa and both were faster than Webber.

Of course the results list only shows the fastest lap and indeed it doesn’t look like Hamilton tried to set a fast lap.

The times actually shows Hamilton is on average about half a second faster than Webber. In the end that says completely nothing either. Webber might have been running with 10 laps wort of extra fuel and therefore he might be half a second faster.

There is a variation of about 5 to 6 seconds depending on a full tank of fuel vs qualy trim. If you add tyrewear and KERS/rear wing usage it could probably even vary as much a 8 seconds.

Waht on earth are you going to tell from the timesheets, let alone from the “fastest lap chart”?

14. kenneth Ntulume said on 11th February 2011, 12:43

You have a good car until someone else, is faster than you!!!!!!!!!