Jerez test day 2 in pictures

2011 F1 testing

The second day of the F1 test at Jerez has begun.

Here are pictures from the second day of the test at Jerez:

More pictures will be added here throughout the test.

2011 F1 testing

Browse all 2011 F1 testing articles

Images ?é?® F1 Fanatic. If you wish to use these images please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission

83 comments on Jerez test day 2 in pictures

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th February 2011, 9:35

Good to see FI are now running the get well soon message for Robert Kubica as well, must have been the photo shooting yesterday.

2. Neil Davies (@neil-davies) said on 11th February 2011, 9:36

What do those contraptions around the Renault’s wheels/tyres measure?

3. Griggs said on 11th February 2011, 10:04

Is that a photo of Jenson with some front locking. ;-)

(I kid, I kid) :D

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th February 2011, 11:07

I know, I nearly fell over…

• Chalk dust.. Cement… Surely?

• Griggs said on 11th February 2011, 11:50

I think Keith was burning me for my terrible sense of humour. :D

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 11th February 2011, 15:03

An when Ketih burns you….

Incidentally, is it really legit for Virgin to use flow vis? Surley looking at flow vis patterns is just a bit too windtunnel.

• @Scribe
            I was thinking the exact same thing!
            Hardly a cfd only car anymore!

• Feynman said on 11th February 2011, 22:24

Flow viz is used to correlate a model to real-life. It doesn’t much matter if the that model came from the metalwork shop or from the water-cooled server rack.

I appreciate you were being light-hearted, but on all sorts of boards, people still seem to be labouring under the gross misapprehension that because it hurts if you drop it on your toe, a wind tunnel model is somehow the real thing.
            It is only ever an approximation, an eye-wateringly expensive approximation, and in many cases a surprisingly misleading approximation, but even on a good day, it’s never the real thing. Neither is a CFD model.

Flow viz isn’t much to do with wind tunnels per se, it is meant for corelating models and clarifying assumptions, and clearly none of that excludes CFD models.

All simulations require validation, calibration of model to track, and in this case, both shall always (or for a good healthy chunk of Moore’s Law) require equal and generous application of flow-viz and pitot tube sensor arrays. Throwing wind and smoke at a toy car, or more blades and cpu cores, only ever gets you so far.

• *looks around*

I don’t see a tunnel here…..

The fact that they can keep their car within three seconds of the mid field is testament to how far CFD has come.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 12th February 2011, 2:41

I appreciate you were being light-hearted,

i feel cruel but ya know.

this. take me seriously at your own perril

4. MondoL said on 11th February 2011, 10:28

Can someone elighten me on what’s this?
    exhaust finn?

5. Have to say.. I am…. LOVING the cars this season. I can’t remember seeing so much raw, clever focused innovation in the sport. I know we went through that period of sticking all kind of aero accessories on the cars, but this year, they’ve all dropped the hammer and gone for it.

I’m particularly impressed by the Williams gear box, who seemed to have cleared enough space for a passenger seat on top of it. What an incredible sight.

So many different approaches.. with what I’m sure will be different benefits for different tracks.

I can’t wait. I’m going to savour it this season :)

• Yeah it is an engineering marvel – apparently for other teams to copy they would have to re-homologise the rear of their cars.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 11th February 2011, 14:08

I think it’s a mix of budget cuts, the slightly fluid and still fairly new regs, an possiby the RRA. If the teams can’t just throw endless money at wind tunnels, they have to find performance from other areas. THe regulations wouldn’t initially appear to support that, but because all the winglets and various other blah’s are ban’d, performance increases require fairly major changes, an thats just on the outside of the car. As Williams McLaren and Redbull have proven, boosting aerodynamics within a limited frame requires major thinking to find the space to improve flow.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th February 2011, 18:15

the williams gearbox must be the design of the year already. It’s mad! Love it!

6. I may be alone in this… but I love the new Renault – it looks menacing!

7. SeattleChris (@seattlechris) said on 11th February 2011, 10:46

I wish MSC’s pace was for real! He’d be great to see up front again! It’d be weird, but pretty exciting to see Vettel looking over his shoulder… not to mention another Alonso/Schumi rivalry

• mateuss said on 11th February 2011, 15:56

Well it was real because it was not a computer simulation, but its funny that people cant resist compeering the times when you consider the different factors contributing to the lap times differences.

Such as:
      Fuel loads (more than 150kg possible difference)
      Tyre compounds
      Tyre condition, age
      Weather conditions, track temp
      DRS
      KERS
      Test program
      and so on…

Each of these factors on their own can affect the lap time by more than a second and combined its just a mess, so I don’t think we should start compeering the teams performances until the 12th of March.

• DeuceCoop said on 11th February 2011, 16:33

Thank you! It’s amazing just how chomping at the bit so many F1 fans are that they feel the need to endlessly analyze the times for these sessions. While some of those top times may indeed be indicative of raw pace you’d never know because the teams aren’t especially open about the setups they’re running or what test program they have planned. Bahrain quali will be the first true look, no sooner. This is just an opportunity to ooooo and aaaahhhh at the purty cars.

If you really want to root for something root that your team puts in a bunch of laps because that kind of thing usually bodes well, where short and frequently interrupted running does not. I’m not even very long into F1 and I know this, so let’s all just take a moment and enjoy what we have so far. It’s only 4 weeks away from the season opener.

8. sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 11th February 2011, 11:20

Has anyone noticed that the green bit behind Petronas on the Mercedes changes colour drastically in different light and angles? It actually looks like the sheen you get when petrol spills onto water, I absolutely love it

9. Xenon2 (@xenon2) said on 11th February 2011, 11:21

I like the Lotus-Renault too, the MP4-26 looks a bit odd on track.

10. Why are the pictures now such poor quality?? They are really good shots otherwise…..

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th February 2011, 12:04

I suppose that is the difference between an amateur photographer with a good camera (Keith) and a pro with special equipment (Julien) making the pictures.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th February 2011, 12:37

That’s exactly it BasCB. I would have been very happy to call on Julien’s services for this test but photographers cost money.

Anyone who wants to contribute towards paying for better-quality photographs can find the ‘Donate’ button at the top of the page.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th February 2011, 13:03

I’ll try to get another one goin your way Keith, great job your doing.
          With most new cars getting out first time in Jerez, it makes sense to have had him there.

This test seems to be less frantic with new finds, but your still very fast on the good pictures on your own, for example those Mclaren ducts/openings in the front.

By the way, I saw there might be some kind of sensor in those, just for testing. Got any new ideas on what it is for?

• Basically, we need to get Keith a decent camera.. Keith, why don’t you find the camera and the kit you need, then set up a fund for it. Fans can contribute specifically for the camera. Fans know what and how they’re contributing and helping you out. It would encourage me to donate more as I can see a goal, and how my donation has helped you reach that goal.. :)

( It’s like Blue Peter all over again? )

• Hare (@hare) said on 12th February 2011, 0:16

BTW, I can recommend Sony a55v. HD video and photos, 15.2 megapixels etc etc.. but thats my camera, I’m not an expert :)

• macca77 said on 11th February 2011, 14:40

I don’t know anything about photo quality, but I think the pics are still great… at least for my wallpaper needs.

The Mercedes car is looking pretty good, both on the pics and on the time sheets. GO SCHUMI!.

11. Dan Selby said on 11th February 2011, 12:28

I rekon it could be Keith lowering the quality a little so he can take more images perhaps?

12. Coefficient said on 11th February 2011, 13:05

I heard somewhere that renaming a ship brings bad luck. Hope this doesn’t apply to cars too after the Ferrari Pickup Truck fiasco!!

13. Good stuff Keith, love ya work! Heard that Schumacher posted the best time…

14. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th February 2011, 13:40

that Mclaren looks so horrible in every angle except side pictures! :O had not realized about it until now!

• Yes it’s so ugly. It looks like the designers took bits from various cars and just stuck them all together. I can’t believe how many people are saying it is the best looking car this year. It’s anything but!