Jerez test day 3 in pictures

2011 F1 testing

Nick Heidfeld has driven the Renault R31 for the first time as the team decide whether he will drive for them in 2011.

Here are pictures from the third day of the test at Jerez:

2011 F1 testing

Browse all 2011 F1 testing articles

Images ?? F1 Fanatic, Ferrari spa, Force India F1 Team, Mercedes GP, Williams/LAT, Pirelli

65 comments on Jerez test day 3 in pictures

1. godol said on 12th February 2011, 8:45

good luck Nick, though I would love to see KUB in R31 :(

2. nicko said on 12th February 2011, 8:54

nick for wdc :)

3. Camera is mighty low on that McLaren. Driver’s head level!

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 12th February 2011, 9:50

I always thought it was intended to be as close to a “driver’s view” as possible, except that teams tended to put it as far back and as high as allowed to minimize its effect on airstream. I hope that camera on the McLaren gets used often :)

• They had some great shots last year. The under car shots were amazing! :)

( damn, I’ve just been bitten whilst using my iPad on this site.. Grrr)

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th February 2011, 11:12

I am looking forward to seeing the shots from that camera.

I also agree, that the shots from the cameras made low above the front wing were great and the shots backwards from the front wing were exiting as well last year.

4. jihelle (@jihelle) said on 12th February 2011, 9:16

Nick’s helmet is already matching the car’s colours… Looks like a deal !!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th February 2011, 10:00

I’m pretty sure Renault will judge him based on something other than the colour of his helmet. I believe he picked up that design when he replace Pedro de la Rosa at the Singapore Grand Prix last year. It’s only coincidence that his helmet is black and gold.

• jihelle (@jihelle) said on 12th February 2011, 10:05

well in Nick’s case I am not sure I would believe in coincidence. This guy always came back from “retirement” at the last minute. It’s not coincidence, it’s destiny… :-)

• Well judging from the close up of the helmet, what with the gold strip with ‘Renault’ across the visor and the large yellow blob that turns out to be the Lotus Logo.. I’d say it’s not a large jump of imagination that the black is Renaults doing as well.

Best not go jumping to conclusions though eh PM?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th February 2011, 10:46

I didn’t jump to conclusions. I took a small step and found conclusions waiting for me. The gold Renault band and the Lotus logo have clearly been added very recently, but Heidfeld introduced the basic black and gold design for Singapore.

Lawyered.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th February 2011, 11:17

Thanks for posting that PM. I think he used the jet black one in Pirrelli testing, and changed it to gold black with a bit of red, i.e. German flag colours, when he got the Sauber drive.

Just the kind of thing for Heidfeld to find it fitting with the JPS livery this year (was he already thinking about a Renault or Lotus drive at the time? Clever move then!)

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th February 2011, 11:33

Actually, based on Gerard Lopez’s statements, Renault didn’t start talking to Lotus – much less float the idea of a black and gold JPS-style livery – until some time just after the Japanese Grand Prix. There’s no way Heidfeld could have known that they were planning it, and better ways to get their attention than commissioning a new helmet design that fit in with their new livery.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th February 2011, 11:15

He also put his avatar showing with Twitter in team style. A gold Q in a golden circle with black background.

To be honest, I would have loved him keeping his matte jet black helmet from last year, that was special. Although the thin golden stripes on the helmet work a lot better than the thick gold bars on the car livery.

5. Heidfeld’s helmet fits good with the car.

6. nicko said on 12th February 2011, 9:34

keith im getting this message on twitter app
    Response timed out at: 10:03

7. Hare (@hare) said on 12th February 2011, 9:47

I wonder when my ‘I told you so moment’ comes on the selection of Nick Hiedfeld? :)

8. Heidfeld is no mug… he will come good if he gets the seat.

9. Sandman said on 12th February 2011, 10:19

2 seconds behind Petrov so far.

10. It must be the angle, but Merc’s platypus nose looks more advanced, compare to the others like Force India’s or even Ferrari’s.

11. “Petrov Lotus Renault GP 65 1:22.493 2.141″

And

Heidfeld Renault 1m21.849s +1.356 15laps

Go figure!!

• mingmong said on 12th February 2011, 11:15

I think he will destroy Senna as well. The teams must all know Senna is no superstar else one of the big boys would have schooled him & signed him up years ago…

• Dipak T said on 12th February 2011, 12:52

He did get pulled out of all motorsport by his family for a lot of his teenage life, to that may be why he wasnt picked up years ago. Although Honda were very keen on him.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th February 2011, 11:20

Well, the track gets faster, the systems are all tested and set up and nobody here said anything on the tyres used for that best time, even less weather Petrov set that time using KERS and/or the ASR.

Just so many variables, the times really are not that important.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 12th February 2011, 11:35

Not to mention the way Renault would be running different programs for both drivers. Petrov will be heavily into running simulations of Grand Prix distances by now, evaluating how the car performs over continuous running. Heidfeld and Senna will probably be doing shorter runs designed to acquaint them with the car and see what kind of speed the can extract from the R31.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th February 2011, 13:04

Exactly, testing is meant to try different things on the car and with setup options to better understand and improve it, not comparing times on track.

The team will know who gave best feedback and best performance for given variables.

• Meander said on 12th February 2011, 14:01

Keith Collantine> Heidfeld now 1.2s faster than Petrov was yesterday

Still, it’s quite a lot now.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 12th February 2011, 15:08

Now Heidfeld is 2.1 seconds better than Petrov was yesterday. It’s the fastest lap today so far. It’s not just a coincidence. Nick is quick. They were always pretty closely matched with Robert in BMW. I don’t see why it should change now and I doubt Senna can challenge that.

12. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 12th February 2011, 12:05

i think its great to see nick back in the race seat.. i can see him fitting in nicely with Renault. good luck to him :)

13. 3 laps out of 13 under 1:22. I don’t think Senna stand a chance of getting that seat, if Renault chooses by lap times. But fair that they evaluate Heidfeld first, Senna last, in this way Senna have a chance to profit from the improvements they gain from Heidfelds work today. Not that he will be faster, I think…Heidfeld is very experienced, probably not world champion potential, but he can stadily bring the Renault forward to score in every race and he is probably the best realistic alternative to Kubica right now. Looking forward to seeing him racing again, but I’ll miss Kubica – he seem to be able to notch the Renault a few positions further up the grid than the car was worth.

14. ManjuBoy (@manjuboy) said on 12th February 2011, 12:54

I like Bruno, but I’m rooting for Nick to land the seat next to Petrov. As Massa said last year, “Why has no one offered my former team-mate Nick Heidfeld a good race-seat?”

15. Gridlock said on 12th February 2011, 13:47

Good luck to Nick, but I can’t ever see a photo of him without being reminded of the guy from The Joy of Sex..