Senna: Renault test “wasn’t a trial”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Keith’s heading back from Jerez today but he wants to send his very best wishes to Bella Combs. Many of you know Bella, who’s a massive F1 fan, and has often commented on this site and on Twitter. She’s not very well at the moment and Keith would like to wish her all the best and say ‘get well soon’.

In today?s round up, Bruno Senna gets his first drive in the R31, but rules himself out as a candidate to replace Robert Kubica as race driver.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Senna: Team right to want experience (Autosport)

??Bruno Senna says he accepts that Renault needs a ‘more prepared’ driver to stand in as Robert Kubica’s replacement from the start of this season.??

Jerez Test, Day 4: Mileage for Bruno (Lotus Renault GP)

??Bruno Senna: ??It was an awesome day – my first chance to drive the R31 and I?m pleased with how things went. It was very much a learning day for me. I had never used the adjustable wing or the KERS before, so I had to adapt to these. It?s not easy at first, because there is a big workload and you are operating two factors that change the balance of the car, but by the end of the day it became more like second nature.

????I started the day pretty relaxed; gradually built up my confidence, and then by lunchtime I was feeling pretty comfortable with things. I was looking forward to doing some hard laps at the end of the day, but with the red flags and the weather, there wasn?t enough time.???

Formula One set to bring in a cap to team budgets, says Red Bull boss (The Guardian)

??Formula One is on track to get the equivalent of a cap on team budgets to curb excessive spending according to the team principal of Red Bull, the winners of last year’s championship.??

The F150th Italia goes over the three thousand mark (Ferrari)

??Over three thousand kilometres ?ǣ 3,195.594 to be precise ?ǣ in one week is a sound start to the work of developing the Maranello newborn, the F150th Italia.

??Fernando and Felipe will be on track again tomorrow: no, it?s not an extra day?s testing granted to Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, but a day dedicated to promotional filming for the Scuderia?s partners. Development work on the new car will resume on Friday 18 at the Catalunya Circuit, on the outskirts of Barcelona: it will actually be the Spanish driver who will get the session underway, with Felipe taking over from him for Sunday and Monday.??

Jenson Button on Twitter

??Hey guys it’s a chilly day here in Jerez but still getting some useful laps in. Seems like everyone is running big fuel loads this afternoon. Most teams are doing long runs.. interesting to see the tyre degradation from different teams..??

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Lotus Renault R31, F1 FanaticInvoke thinks the new Lotus Renault looks great, but has made a little adjustment:

Looks great doesn?t it, if only it looked like this however??
Invoke

From the forum

The results are in for Round 6 of the Official F1Fanatic PS3 World Championship at Monte Carlo. After 23 laps, RIISE crossed the line first to score the maximum 25 points, followed by Magnificent Geoffrey and slr.

With two races to go, Magnificent Geoffrey is in the lead with 114 points, ahead of damonsmedley with 109.

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today. If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailing me, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

On this day in 2008, Williams were the toast of testing with a string of quick times. The FW30 was fast on its debut at Valencia and was quicker still at Jerez, with Nico Rosberg ending the test as the fourth-quickest driver.

Read more: Testing suggests Williams are best of the rest

68 comments on Senna: Renault test “wasn’t a trial”

1. summers (@summers) said on 14th February 2011, 0:10

Bruno seems a nice guy – I hope he will get his chance one day (maybe instead of Petrov?).

• Scottie (@scottie) said on 14th February 2011, 0:54

Petrov set his time when the track was possibly at it’s worst… but still with Heidfeldt almost topping the entire test, it’s hardly a ringing endorsement of the Russian!

• spudw said on 14th February 2011, 3:27

Based on team comments last year, Petrov will need a fairly strong and consistent season to keep the seat. Failing that, my hope would be to see Senna in the second Renault for 2012.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 14th February 2011, 8:51

No, I think Petrov is too fast to be let go. He reminds me of Massa – very quick, but rough around the edges. I think Heidfeld deserves a drive, but I’d like Senna to be given a proper chance. His HRT failed him in nearly every second race last year, so we’ve not seen the best of him yet. But back to my point; Petrov has proven his worth with several strong performances in 2010, and I think he will have found his feet by the middle of this season.

• Adrian J (@adrian-j) said on 14th February 2011, 11:09

I think he was also let down by not having the chance to do any testing in the car before the season started…

…incredible that yesterday was only his 2nd ever outing at an F1 Test Day!!

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 14th February 2011, 12:33

Wa-wa-what? When has Petrov ever been quick? He’s always lagging in qualifying. Apart from his trouble to keep the car on track, qualifying is his biggest problem.

Petrov is worse than Piquet. Even when we can only compare Piquet to Alonso and Petrov against Kubica.

• summers (@summers) said on 14th February 2011, 17:43

Well, I honestly think he is capable of driving fast, but he needs a huge amount of time to achieve that. For now, Petrov is in my opinion one of the worst drivers in F1. But not because of lack of talent – I think he just needs the experience. Anyway he doesn’t deserve a place in Lotus-Renault at this moment.

• Alex Bkk said on 15th February 2011, 11:05

Ditto on the Pet thingy Patrickl. He’d have never gotten or kept that seat with out some serious lolly, and it’s gonna bite Renault very hard of their silly little bottoms when the Manufactures points are tallied at the end of the season.

2. Hare (@hare) said on 14th February 2011, 0:12

Red is dead.. black is back! Total agreement :)

( which is ironic because it’s the Total agreement that means red is alive and well. )

3. Snow Donkey said on 14th February 2011, 0:19

Wow… I had convinced myself that the red of the total emblem looked good, but after seeing invoke’s touch up, I see I’ve been lying to myself. All black looks so good!

4. Dipak T said on 14th February 2011, 0:32

All things being equal, I am convinced that Senna does have a future in F1. Hes pretty must spent mst of his teenage years out of any racing car, and he does have the talent. Maybe not WDC or even as good as Montoya, but hes still good enough to be one of the 24.

• skodarap (@skodarap) said on 14th February 2011, 12:43

I agree with you, but it seems team needs someone experienced to help them develop the car.

Fingers crossed for Senna/Petrov lineup here, even though I like Heidfeld – a good driver who’s time has unfortunately passed it seems.

5. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 14th February 2011, 0:37

So when do Renault announce Nick, then? Within days, I assume?

6. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 14th February 2011, 1:38

Like many I also wish Bella Combs to get well soon & come back between us.

7. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 14th February 2011, 4:57

F150th Italia = Most ridiculous name ever?

8. Macca (@macca) said on 14th February 2011, 5:55

Looks great doesn’t it, if only it looked like this however…

I can’t see what the difference is. Can someone tell me please?

9. Sergio Perez said on 14th February 2011, 6:29

Bruno Senna is really an unlucky fellow: yesterday, when he was ready to push with the soft and super soft tires, the session was red flagged and started to rain. Would love to see his true pace with those tires. He’s so unlucky that in almost every thread or news post in this site concerning him, discussions tend to go to really strange, off topic places! :)

10. Happy Valentines day formula one. :-)

11. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 14th February 2011, 7:30

F1 should have a “soft” budget cap, like the NBA. Basically it means that for every $1 spent over the cap, that team has to give x amount to all the other teams (not sure about the exact details). That way the big teams can spend, but the smaller teams also get some money out of it, allowing them to keep pace. It should include everything except marketing, which has nothing to do with how the race pans out.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 14th February 2011, 7:35

That’s actually not a bad idea. I like it.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 14th February 2011, 7:58

I suppose that is exactly what Horner is against (article yesterday). I think it is a good idea, NBA proved it works, didn’t they.

• Dipak T said on 14th February 2011, 8:02

I like!

In all serousness, that is an inspired idea. To FOTA!

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 14th February 2011, 8:55

It could work, but there is a lot of room for debate as to who would be classified as a “small team”. Red Bull for example, while not a manufacturer team, clearly have resources and are now WCC. I suppose you could base it on the previous season’s performance (eg the teams from 8th downwards get a cut) rather than number of staff or total budget. I also imagine that the teams wouldn’t really want to disclose their total budgets.

Brawn would have been an interesting one because despite winning the WCC they were really starting to run out of cash.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 14th February 2011, 9:15

Or maybe give it to teams with a budget less than 2/3rds of the average budget?

Suppose there will be quite a few discussions before the teams agree on anything like that!

12. efBir said on 14th February 2011, 8:50

Budget Cap? OK, prepare for rival series.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 14th February 2011, 12:40

The budget cap was proposed by Honda (Brawn), BMW (Theissen) and Renault (Briatore). They claimed they could not stay in F1 if there was no budgetcap.

They are now gone (because there was no budget cap?), but I think the teams they once sponsored are still in favor of a budgetcap. So are Williams, Red Bull and I’ll bet the 3 new teams. McLaren have never been much against it either.

If someone comes with a sensible budgetcap limit. One that doesn’t need a horrible construct to overrule a single team’s veto. Then it could go down pretty well with all teams apart from Ferrari.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 14th February 2011, 12:42

FOTA doesn’t need unanimity to agree on changes – isn’t it something like 70%? Perhaps HRT not being there could tip the balance against having a budget cap…

• Bäremans said on 14th February 2011, 13:35

If 70% majority is enough, it could still be voted.
          Which teams would be against the budget cap apart from Ferrari, RBR and McLaren? (not even sure if McLaren are really opposed to it)
          If none, you have 8 vs 3 or 72% majority.
          I wouldn’t mind this kind of rule.

Being the pinnacle of motor racing is not only about building competitive cars, but also about having the very best drivers in them.
          If a team like Renault has to hire Petrov and Williams has to ditch the Hulk both only for financial reasons, then something seems to be structurally very wrong.

13. BasCB (@bascb) said on 14th February 2011, 9:17

Thanks for getting rid of those tyring and the abusive (I mean the racism, not the hijacking of synonyms ;-) ) posts Cari.

Let’s hope they stay away for a while now.

14. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 14th February 2011, 9:31

Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 Championship has, after only 4 races, decended into a FISA-FOCA style war.

Will the series make it to round 5 at Spa? Will drivers boycott? Will a whole new rival series be set up using Mario Kart? It’ll be intereting to find out.

15. verstappen said on 14th February 2011, 9:53

What, except from the special tyres, are the limitations for filming days?

I read something about a speed limit but that’s not in the rulebook. Also not in the rulebook, is the agreement of last year, which says that only parts which are raced before can be used.

But now, there are no parts which are raced before, so they still can test some new things, right?

Knowing the way Ferrari works, they must gain something, except from having a nice promo-movie…

• Ads21 (@ads21) said on 14th February 2011, 11:43

If there is a loophole though its not Ferrari’s fault for using it, the other teams are missing a trick by not doing it as well.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 14th February 2011, 12:18

As far as I know McLaren, Williams, Renault and Lotus have all had filming days outside of test sessions and there’s probably more too.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 14th February 2011, 12:45

You make a good point. I thought these promo days were banned too. Or indeed severely hampered by slow speeds, old parts and special tyres.

You shouldn’t have mentioned Ferrari though. Now the only reaction you will get is people defending Ferrari’s honor.

I do understand why you mention them, because I saw their footage of the promo day too. Clearly that Ferrari F150 was being driven at speed.

• verstappen said on 14th February 2011, 17:17

Well, it wasn’t meant as a stab at Ferrari, I mentioned them because of the link in the round up.

On the other hand, Ferrari did a filming day at the launch and now again, with the 2011 car.

That aside, I am still curious as to what the exact limitations are for these filming days.
        (how fast? how long? which parts? can the hours be split over more days? etc etc)