Renault confirm Heidfeld to take Kubica’s place

2011 F1 season

Nick Heidfeld, Renault, Jerez, 2011

Nick Heidfeld, Renault, Jerez, 2011

Renault have confirmed Nick Heidfeld will take the place of the injured Robert Kubica at the team.

Heidfeld said: “I would have liked to come back to Formula 1 in different circumstances, but I?m proud to have been given this chance.

“Everything has happened so quickly, but I?ve been very impressed by what I have seen so far in terms of the facilities and the dedication of the people at Enstone.

“I really enjoyed the test last week in Jerez and I?ve already settled in well with the guys at the track. I have a good feeling for the car, which is quite innovative. I?m extremely motivated and can?t wait for the season to begin.”

Team principal Eric Boullier said: “The team has been through a very difficult couple of weeks and we had to react quickly.

“We gave Nick a chance in Jerez last week and he really impressed us. He?s quick, experienced and is very strong technically with his feedback and understanding of the car.

“We always said the priority was to have an experienced driver in the car and we feel he is the ideal man for the job.

“We are pleased to welcome Nick to the team and look forward to a strong start to the season with him and Vitaly in Bahrain.”

Heidfeld will drive the car in the Barcelona test on Friday morning, sharing it with Vitaly Petrov for pit stop practice, and on Saturday and Sunday. Petrov will drive the car the rest of the time.

2011 F1 season


Browse all 2011 F1 season articles

Image ?? Pirelli

Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others

Advert | Go Ad-free

137 comments on Renault confirm Heidfeld to take Kubica’s place

  1. NathanBradley92 (@nathancabopino) said on 17th February 2011, 9:00

    I completely understand why Renault have gone for Heidfeld, he is/was the best option available and I’m sure, as other people have said, that when Eric Boullier said Senna was first in line, he meant for a race or two, not an extended period of time.

    But for Renault’s sake I just hope it’s written that way in Senna’s contract, and not the way Boullier said it, or they could find themselves in a legal mess very quickly.

    Still, let’s hope it doesn’t come to that and from a racing fan’s point of view, the Enstone squad couldn’t have made a better choice.

    Nathan

  2. Nick Heidfeld. F1s equivalent to a damp Sunday afternoon in Margate.

  3. howick20 said on 17th February 2011, 10:14

    I think this is the right decision, a quick, experienced driver,who has yet had a car capable of winning. Will germany have another f1 hero in the making- doubt it-bring on Bahrain. And, one question, is the livery on the williams permanent? If so, it is the laziest design ever witnessed.

  4. kowalsky said on 17th February 2011, 11:16

    i think he is the best AVAILABLE driver, eventhough for some reason kubica thinks otherwise, if the news i read are correct.
    It seems odd that kubica says that vitantonio luizzi is a better choice. If he said so, it’s either because he doesn’t like him, or because he thinks he can be a problem when he is ready to return.
    When massa was sidelined in 2009, kubica couldn’t substitute him because couldn’t fit in the car, now it’s the other way around. Wouldn’t this be a problem? I hope not.

  5. Alex Bkk said on 17th February 2011, 12:48

    I’m good with Nick going to Renault… I’d like to see him with a more consistent #2. I’m sure the car was designed around Kubies driving style and I dunno where that will put Nick in terms of dealing with the car.

  6. Davide said on 18th February 2011, 10:47

    Heidfeld is the right choice, i’m happy

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All comments must abide by the comment policy. Comments may be moderated.
Want to post off-topic? Head to the forum.
See the FAQ for more information.

Skip to toolbar