2011 F1 season
Renault have confirmed Nick Heidfeld will take the place of the injured Robert Kubica at the team.
Heidfeld said: “I would have liked to come back to Formula 1 in different circumstances, but I?óÔé¼Ôäóm proud to have been given this chance.
“Everything has happened so quickly, but I?óÔé¼Ôäóve been very impressed by what I have seen so far in terms of the facilities and the dedication of the people at Enstone.
“I really enjoyed the test last week in Jerez and I?óÔé¼Ôäóve already settled in well with the guys at the track. I have a good feeling for the car, which is quite innovative. I?óÔé¼Ôäóm extremely motivated and can?óÔé¼Ôäót wait for the season to begin.”
Team principal Eric Boullier said: “The team has been through a very difficult couple of weeks and we had to react quickly.
“We gave Nick a chance in Jerez last week and he really impressed us. He?óÔé¼Ôäós quick, experienced and is very strong technically with his feedback and understanding of the car.
“We always said the priority was to have an experienced driver in the car and we feel he is the ideal man for the job.
“We are pleased to welcome Nick to the team and look forward to a strong start to the season with him and Vitaly in Bahrain.”
Heidfeld will drive the car in the Barcelona test on Friday morning, sharing it with Vitaly Petrov for pit stop practice, and on Saturday and Sunday. Petrov will drive the car the rest of the time.
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Pirelli
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others