Mercedes have confirmed Bob Bell will become the team’s technical director from the beginning of April.
Bell left Renault last year having been with the team since 2001.
He held several different job titles in the team following the Singapore Grand Prix crash scandal. He took over as team principal and chief technical officer in 2009 after Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds left the team.
He went on to become managing director but Eric Boullier took over the role as Bell left the team in October last year.
Before joining Renault Bell also worked for McLaren, Benetton and Jordan.
Team principal Ross Brawn said: “Bob’s appointment is a key step in the strengthening of our excellent technical team and we are pleased to have recruited one of the most experienced engineers in the sport.”
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles