Felipe Massa says he hopes F1 will be able to return to Bahrain following the cancellation of next month’s race.
Speaking to reporters in Barcelona he said: “What has happened there is very serious. I hope everything will be normal.
“The human side and the safety side are so much more important. I like Bahrain and I hope we get to go back there.”
He added: “I would like to race in Bahrain for the first race as I like the track there. Maybe we will race there again later in the year.”
He played down suggestions that his team, along with Red Bull, are favourites, saying: “”Nothing is clear at the moment.
“We wait and see at the next test and at the first race. We expect Red Bulll to be strong as they are the team that won the championships.
“Maybe McLaren and Mercedes also. You can’t rule them out of the fight. They are big teams and know how to win.”
Massa was positive after his two days in the car, saying: “I think it was a good feeling with the car. We tried everything we were meant to run.
“On the reliability side we didn’t really have any problems of the day. The car behaved in a good direction. It was a good four days for us.”
He also described the difficulty of managing tyre wear with the new Pirelli rubber:
“To save the tyre isn’t very easy. The prediction is the pit stops will be more.
“The medium and hard tyre didn’t have good grip when they are new. The degradation is very high for sure on the medium and high, so the strategies will be very different compared to last year.”
Quotes and additional reporting by Leandra Graves
2011 F1 testing
- Young Drivers Test Day 3 in pictures
- Vergne completes third day on top in Abu Dhabi
- Young Drivers Test Day 2 in pictures
- Vergne stays quickest on second day of test
- Italian F3 pair complete Ferrari test
- Jean-Eric Vergne leads first day of young drivers test
- McLaren cover least test distance with new car
- Rosberg: Mercedes are “on the up”
- Second Barcelona test day 5 in pictures
- Hamilton: reliability and pace concerns for McLaren
Image ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo