Williams to reveal definitive FW33 livery today

F1 Fanatic round-up

Today we will get our first glimpse of the Williams FW33 in its definitive livery.

It’s being revealed at 11am GMT and you can watch it live online at www.attwilliams.com.

Here’s today’s round-up:

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

F1 to lose $100m from Bahrain Grand Prix cancellation (The Daily Telegraph)

“The revenue from advertising at F1 circuits is received by FOA, which also gets the race hosting fees. Bahrain’s royal family pays an estimated $34m annually but FOA’s chief executive, Bernie Ecclestone, has waived the fee since the race will not be taking place.”

A Guide to KERS (Renault)

“Although the basis of the 2011 system comes from 2009, it has been completely re-engineered to ensure a much more competitive device. So every aspect has been optimised, including its integration with the vehicle. That has meant removing weight and significant repackaging to ensure it can be easily installed and removed from the car. This year?s system represents a weight saving of more than 10kg compared to 2009.”

Nick Heidfeld Q&A – An opportunity too good to miss 23 Feb 2011

“How much it is true that the car was built around Robert I cannot say as I simply don?t know how easy such a task would be. I am sure he gave a huge amount of feedback last season as the clear number one in the team so I assume his feedback was incorporated into this car. If this is a ??Robert-spec? car that is difficult for others to handle I could not say. I take it as it is.”

F1 Fanatic on YouTube

Two videos showing the FIA’s recent Young Drivers Initiative training day featuring comments from Alexander Wurz:

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Will the Bahrain Grand Prix be re-scheduled? sw6569 is doubtful:

The cynic inside suggests that Abu Dhabi are saying this because India won?t change its date as it isn?t built yet and Brazil has also shown a reluctance to change to a December 4th date (as it clashes with football – or have I made that up?)

I personally still think we?re not going to have a Bahrain race this season ?ǣ which is a shame as 20 races are better than 19 (to the viewer).
sw6569

From the forum

McLarenFanJAmm asks what would you do if you were Bernie?

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today. If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailling me, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

Happy 40th birthday Pedro de la Rosa!

Image ?? Williams/LAT

71 comments on Williams to reveal definitive FW33 livery today

1. Grace said on 24th February 2011, 0:02

I can’t wait to see the Williams. I think we all know its going to look hardly any different though to the last few years. :(

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 24th February 2011, 0:06

Even if it’s slightly different than last year’s livery it will be an improvement.

• Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 24th February 2011, 0:24

Every year I expect them to do something interesting and yet it’s always boring. Maybe this year for the first time since the late 90’s they will come up with something interesting. But then I expected the same from Sauber and they let us down…

• luigismen said on 24th February 2011, 0:35

It will be blue and white, with some lines of red

• Daniel said on 24th February 2011, 3:53

I like last year’s Williams. It was nicely understated. All the other cars are like ‘here look at me, I’m all bright and shiny!’ The Williams looked like a racing car, all business.

• I don’t understand why you don’t like the old livery. In my opinion it was easily the best livery on the grid (and probably the best of all since the Mild Seven Renaults).

• But when you have a good long hard think back, Williams’ liveries have mopre often that not been quite dull. The green and white Saudia liveries were dull. The Canon/Camel/Labatts liveries were colourful, but rather messy. Rothmans was quite bland.

In fact my favourite williams livery has to be the FW22 from 2000 – the first year with BMW power, the almost black blue in stark contrast to the white. Excellent livery, that one. Since then it’s just been blue and white in varying degrees.

If anything, the 1999 Winfield-sponsored horror was the most diverse and interesting, with the multi-coloured flashes as the back of various parts of bodywork.

In short, I’m not getting my hopes up.

• I WAS RIGHT!!!

2. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 24th February 2011, 0:04

Can wait to see the williams livery. Hope it will be loud, awesome & different.

3. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 24th February 2011, 0:10

Looking forward to the Williams livery although it’s never as good as the interim livery they run. This years overalls suggest a Rothmans retro look but we’ll have to wait and see.

4. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 24th February 2011, 0:16

Its supposed to be a “Retro” livery so it could be different to the past um 6 years and it might be yellow, red, light blue, dark blue and white i think it might look like the one from 1985

5. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 24th February 2011, 0:18

I don’t know why but I’ve dreamed with a green and white livery, with tones of red and yellow. I think It would be a nice livery.

6. Bentschke said on 24th February 2011, 0:44

I think it will be another boring livery. All the cars just about look the same on tv – even renault have a car that will blend in with everyone elses. How about someone does something radical that will get noticed – pink, orange, bright green – surely the sponsors would love it because it would be impossible to miss such a car! Enough of boring ‘traditional’ colour scemes – lets see some fun and excitement in the sport.

• Burnout said on 24th February 2011, 4:44

Spyker tried that with an orange livery. It didn’t stand out as much as you’d think. Maybe a lighter orange, like the early 2000s McLaren testing colours would work.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 24th February 2011, 8:11

But it did help Spyker find their cars when their drivers inevitably beached them.

• bosyber said on 24th February 2011, 8:44

I still have a trauma from Albers invariably moaning on Dutch television when he finished early/much worse than his “hopeful” view before the race – much worse than Verstappen, who also complained a lot, but at least could also show something for it in the right circumstances.

7. I’m looking forward to see this… as all of you, really expecting something different… \o/

8. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 24th February 2011, 1:36

I’m expecting white and dark red, like their current rear wing. It appears to be a pretty big sponsor for them so we’ll have to wait and see.

9. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 24th February 2011, 7:16

If it’s like the Rothmans livery of 1997, I’m all squee* for it.

*A girlish expression of joy

Bernie Ecclestone, has waived the fee since the race will not be taking place.

Could you ever imagine Bernie doing this for Spa, or Silverstone?

10. sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 24th February 2011, 8:10

I’m more excited about the Williams reveal than I have been about any of the cars! I see everything with rose tinted glasses.

oh and my first comment of the day! :)

11. gabal (@gabal) said on 24th February 2011, 8:21

Qatar National Bank has the same colors as the driver overalls have (dark blue and burgundy) so there is a speculation the team could unveil new sponsor too.

12. i would love to see Williams have an interesting livery this year. but i agree with Grace. It will be boring as usual.

13. cookie said on 24th February 2011, 8:44

Car will be rothmans look o like,not many sponsors thou

14. bosyber said on 24th February 2011, 8:48

Interesting that teams sponsor agreements would have not-appeared-at-race clauses that kick in with this: they can’t turn up, so not their failure, as there is no race; moreover, they didn’t decide to not have the race; I would have thought a circumstance like this would have been an exception in such a clause.

15. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 24th February 2011, 8:48

I’ll be tuning in for the launch.