HRT confirm Liuzzi as Karthikeyan’s team mate

2011 F1 season

Vitantonio Liuzzi, HRT, Barcelona, 2011

Vitantonio Liuzzi, HRT, Barcelona, 2011

HRT have confirmed Vitantonio Liuzzi will drive for them in 2011.

The former Force India driver will partner Narain Karthikeyan at the team.

Liuzzi said: “I am really happy to have signed this agreement with Hispania Racing.

“I never lost hope to be in Formula One as I knew I have the experience and the right attributes for a young and ambitious team. I face a new challenge now and this excites me.

“I also face a lot of hard work in guiding Hispania Racing through the development of our new car. I am extremely grateful to Jos?? Ramon Carabante and to Colin Kolles for giving me such an opportunity.”

Team principal Colin Kolles said Liuzzi “is a very professional driver who will bring a lot of benefits to the team.”

“I have known Tonio for many years as he raced with me in lower categories.

“I am convinced about his skills to develop a car and his speed. He has shown this in the past having contributed to a large extend developing and moving a back grid car to the front. I had the pleasure of working with him and I am very happy and proud to have him racing with Hispania Racing.??

HRT also confirmed they will present their 2011 F1 car and drivers on Friday at the Circuit de Catalunya.

View the full and complete list of 2011 F1 drivers and teams.

Image ?? Motioncompany

138 comments on HRT confirm Liuzzi as Karthikeyan’s team mate

1. Patrickl said on 9th March 2011, 19:49

Has there been any word on how much Liuzzi (or his sponsors) paid to get this drive?

A while back there was a rumour that Liuzzi would actually hand over part of his severance settlement from FI to HRT so he could drive there.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th March 2011, 7:09

I think he claims he is not paying. Not to sure weather he has much personal sponsors to bring on board (but for HRT maybe a few will do, he must be raving to get them in that cool space!)

I would think the FI settlement will take a while to get done. After all, Giedo vd. Garde took some 2 years to extract his money back from the team.

2. Pink Pirelli said on 9th March 2011, 21:25

Unsurprising news really. Both sides had limited options, so it was only logical that they pair up in the end. We’ll see how it pans out, well, if FOM decides to give them any airtime, that is.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th March 2011, 7:10

Narain often made for quite spectacular wrestling with the car, so maybe they migh give him a bit of airtime.

3. James Williams said on 9th March 2011, 23:16

**** driver and the ********* team in history. Perfect match. I hope they crash and burn.

4. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 10th March 2011, 2:11

Trust me this is the most funniest team on the grid currently. First they were late in car launch,heaven knows how fast that car is,now they have probably one of the worst driver on the grid. I would prefer Kilen then Liuzzi, but who knows if the car is FAST then he may put up some surprises.

5. Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 10th March 2011, 2:44

So it may well end up that Luzzi, drives off into the sunset after a long and distinguished F1 career at HRT boasting “I’m faster than Karthikeyan” :P

6. I would have liked to see Danica. Since I don’t HRT being a contender for anything except last place, then they might as well be a little less serious. No one takes them very seriously anyway, flow with it.

7. somerandomguy said on 10th March 2011, 6:31

HRT are an amazing team. The way their cars pull off the track to let the faster cars through is truly inspirational