Pedro de la Rosa has returned to McLaren as a test driver.
He will partner Gary Paffett as one of the team’s two reserve drivers.
De la Rosa previously worked for the team from 2003-2009, chiefly as a test and reserve driver. However he also raced for the team as a substitute in 2005 and 2006.
De la Rosa said: “Of all the teams I?óÔé¼Ôäóve driven for in Formula 1, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes is the one that really feels like home.
“So I?óÔé¼Ôäóm very excited about returning to the team to help push the development of the MP4-26.
“Lewis [Hamilton] and Jenson [Button] already have an extremely positive and productive working relationship – so, building on and adding to their existing rapport, I’m aiming to do everything I can to help them get even more from our car, our engineers and our technical resources back at the McLaren Technology Centre.”
De la Rosa drove for Sauber for most of last year’s season, then joined Pirelli to do development work on their new F1 tyres.
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: “I know I speak for all my colleagues when I say that I’m delighted that Pedro has chosen to return to Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.
“He rejoins us with even greater experience, and his motivation and attention to detail remain as sharp as ever.
“His recruitment adds considerable strength in depth to our driver line-up.”
View the list of 2011 F1 drivers and teams.
- Razia and Valsecchi to be Lotus reserve drivers
- Pedro de la Rosa rejoins McLaren as reserve
- HRT confirm Liuzzi as Karthikeyan’s team mate
- Di Resta to race for Force India, H?â??lkenberg to test
- Fairuz Fauzy joins Renault as reserve driver for 2011
- HRT confirm Karthikeyan in team for 2011
- Renault set date for ‘Lotus Renault GP R31′ launch
- Force India to launch VJM04 at Jerez test
- Petrov to remain at Renault in 2011 and 2012
- Jerome d’Ambrosio to drive for Virgin in 2011
Image ?é?® F1 Fanatic. If you wish to use this image please contact F1 Fanatic to request permission