Alguersuari: tyres could put HRT in front of Ferrari

2011 F1 testing

Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, Barcelona, 2011

Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, Barcelona, 2011

Jaime Alguersuari believes the difference between the tyres this year is so great HRT could be faster than Ferrari on occasions.

Speaking to reporters in Barcelona he said: “You could see Hispania running faster than Ferrari if they are on new tyres and Ferrari were on worn tyres. You could see Hispania overtake Ferrari.”

The Toro Rosso driver explained how the new tyres required drivers to change their style: “You use more of an endurance style rather than sprint races style.

“The rear tyres are very important. They degrade quicker. When you are driving you have to be very careful. Degradation on all tyres was massive.

“Getting the right strategy can be good for small teams by risking an aggressive strategy.”

The STR6 has attracted attention with some promising performances in testing so far – though Alguersuari said he has not done any qualifying simulations yet:

“I don?t think I will be doing any tomorrow and I am bit worried about going to Melbourne without testing the soft tyres on light fuel loads but I have to trust the team on this.”

He said expects to be in the hunt for points every race this year and the team’s main competition will be “Force India and Sauber.”

He added: “I think we are right behind Williams.

“The car has more potential than last year. Buemi thinks the car is good also.

“Obviously it?s going to be a different year and I don?t say it?s going to be easy because we have a good car. I think it?s going to be very difficult because if we are faster, we need to score some points in every race to be ahead of our rivals.

“I think it will be difficult for everyone with the new tyres, more stops, we will see.”

Quotes and additional reporting by Leandra Graves

2011 F1 testing

Browse all 2011 F1 testing articles

Image ?? Pirelli

51 comments on Alguersuari: tyres could put HRT in front of Ferrari

1. Tobitron said on 10th March 2011, 20:32

This excites me. I can’t wait to see if the degradation is indeed that massive. This could make the closing stages of racing far more entertaining.

• Copersucar (@copersucar) said on 11th March 2011, 0:57

Well, if a McLaren is on fresh tyres and a HRT is on shot tyres we might even see a McL overtaking a HRT this season !?!?

• Nicotheque said on 11th March 2011, 7:25

Lol… Winner!!

• IceMan said on 11th March 2011, 7:42

in 2009 McLaren developed a dog into a race winning machine before the end of year.Their developement will be too aggressive over the season. I am still keeping my fingers crossed Lewis will do a spectacular dual with Vettel and Alonso. Alas If Lewis had a RedBull.

2. Rob Wilson said on 10th March 2011, 20:39

This season could either be epic wih a million overtakes per race or one great big huge fart of a tyre fail. (Bernie on the phone to Pirelli man) “When i said more degradation, i didn’t think you would take it this far” *facepalm*

3. BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th March 2011, 20:42

I bet Tonio is looking forward to that in his HRT! It does more or less confirm what Alonso said about this being a bit of a risk for the big teams.

I am so much looking forward to the season. Just let us hope Melbourne wont bring us another Bahrain ’10 race!

• Adam Tate said on 10th March 2011, 22:17

Don’t worry, that’s impossible because Melbourne is an infinitely more interesting track than Bahrain.

4. The New Hope said on 10th March 2011, 20:52

That would really be something! I like Jaime, by the way. He seems to be getting better with every race.

5. RIISE (@riise) said on 10th March 2011, 21:05

That’s what I like to hear. Although don’t overtake Schumi or Alonso please!!!

6. SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 10th March 2011, 21:05

We don’t nkow how fast Hispania are yet. They could be faster than Ferrari on equal tyre wear.

7. marc connell said on 10th March 2011, 21:08

ill bet all my money that this will happen..

“so….HRT is faster than you…can you confirm you understood that message?” “

8. Ryne (@ryne) said on 10th March 2011, 21:08

Honestly at this point I’ll believe it when I see it.

All these comments about the tyres makes me wish the season started this week to see what the real truth is.

9. bleeps_and_tweaks said on 10th March 2011, 21:13

We need to see how the drivers get on with the tyres at 25-30 degrees, apparently Pirelli reckon they won’t degrade quite so much – maybe a 3 stop race rather than 4!

10. Icthyes said on 10th March 2011, 21:20

I like hearing what Jaime has to say, he usually offers a good perspective on things. He would have been an invaluable asset in the era of unlimited testing, if Martin Brundle’s assessment of his abilities is to be believed (which I do!)

11. Patrickl said on 10th March 2011, 21:28

I think he’s speaking more hypothetically. In testng we’ve seen lap times jump by over 5 seconds from switching to fresh tyres.

Of course if that Torro Rosso is on fresh tyres and the Ferrari is on old tyres, even the Torro Rosso could overtake.

But then how would it make a pitstop and end up behind a Ferrari (that hadn’t made a pitstop) He’d need to be half a minute ahead already for something like that to happen.

• Amir Anuar said on 11th March 2011, 9:27

maybe they are lapped by the big gun and because they have a fresh tire they are quicker then the one with old tire they could use it to unlapped themself and that might destroy the big team strategy

12. Klon (@klon) said on 10th March 2011, 21:30

Well, of course this may sound ridiculous. On the other hand, though, if you’d said a Super Aguri could overtake the world champion in an open battle back in early 2007, most people would have laughed. So it’s not like this hasn’t happen before.

13. verstappen said on 10th March 2011, 22:08

Kobayashi said the same thing.
    As long as those cars still go blitzing fast around those tracks, I’m happy.

All those words do make me a bit nervous about what’s happening to the sport. Endurance, saving, HRT overtaking…

The unexpectedness of ‘Canada’ was what made it a memorable race. I wonder how memorable the races will become when everybody knows the tyres degrate so much.

Having said that, I just want to see how it pans out, before I judge.

14. F1_Dave said on 10th March 2011, 22:08

if we do see these big speed differences depending on tyres then the racing will be very poor.

we will see a car on faster tyres catch upto a car on slower tyres and just easily cruise on by and the drive away, this is not good racing its just a joke.

good racing is 2 (or more) cars fighting it out on the track under similar circumstances, think imola 2005/2006, 2 drivers pushing flat out one driver fighting hard trying to find a way by a car ahead who is trying to keep him behind.

with tyres having such large grip/performance differences depending on compound and wear were not going to see good racing, were just going to see one car with so little grip hes unable to do anything about the car which has tons more grip on newer tyres.

15. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 10th March 2011, 22:43

Of course they could theoretically over-take…but you need a decent track position in the first place!

But this does make me think that the remaining 14 cars after the top 10 may have more of an advantage this year than last year.