Alguersuari: tyres could put HRT in front of Ferrari

2011 F1 testing

Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, Barcelona, 2011

Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, Barcelona, 2011

Jaime Alguersuari believes the difference between the tyres this year is so great HRT could be faster than Ferrari on occasions.

Speaking to reporters in Barcelona he said: “You could see Hispania running faster than Ferrari if they are on new tyres and Ferrari were on worn tyres. You could see Hispania overtake Ferrari.”

The Toro Rosso driver explained how the new tyres required drivers to change their style: “You use more of an endurance style rather than sprint races style.

“The rear tyres are very important. They degrade quicker. When you are driving you have to be very careful. Degradation on all tyres was massive.

“Getting the right strategy can be good for small teams by risking an aggressive strategy.”

The STR6 has attracted attention with some promising performances in testing so far – though Alguersuari said he has not done any qualifying simulations yet:

“I don?t think I will be doing any tomorrow and I am bit worried about going to Melbourne without testing the soft tyres on light fuel loads but I have to trust the team on this.”

He said expects to be in the hunt for points every race this year and the team’s main competition will be “Force India and Sauber.”

He added: “I think we are right behind Williams.

“The car has more potential than last year. Buemi thinks the car is good also.

“Obviously it?s going to be a different year and I don?t say it?s going to be easy because we have a good car. I think it?s going to be very difficult because if we are faster, we need to score some points in every race to be ahead of our rivals.

“I think it will be difficult for everyone with the new tyres, more stops, we will see.”

Quotes and additional reporting by Leandra Graves

2011 F1 testing

Browse all 2011 F1 testing articles

Image ?? Pirelli

51 comments on Alguersuari: tyres could put HRT in front of Ferrari

1. Victor. said on 10th March 2011, 23:32

If I’m honest, I’m a bit concerned about the tyre wear.

It’s all good and lovely to have tyres falling apart, but not to the extent that nursing them is always better than putting one’s foot down. F1 is great because it’s about going as quickly as possible (well, to an extent at least, as Keith’s article about the end of the pursuit of performance showed). The moment looking after one’s tyres becomes more beneficial than absolutely going for it is the moment F1 has missed the trick.

As Vettel showed in Monza last year the Bridgestones were without a shadow of a doubt too stong. However, does F1 really want tyres that require the driver to keep his rubber alive for longer than his competition rather than to outdrive it? What F1 needs is not massive degradation per se, but tyres that degrade exponentially. It should be a viable option to pit one more time in order to catch the guy in front who opted to stay out. At the moment it seems that the Pirellis let go after a few laps, thwarting any possibility of having different strategies.

I’m sure massive tyre wear will ‘improve the show’. Whether it will make F1 more exciting though is another issue. It might turn drivers who are wild cats ready to pounce into fluffy pets who look after their rubber. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would prefer drivers to spin, lock up and look for a gap to overtake the guy in front.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 11th March 2011, 7:06

I think that moment has already passed. The Bridgestones lasted so long because the drivers were saving them all the time. You don’t think Vettel did all of Monza flat-out, surely?

• VXR said on 11th March 2011, 8:23

No one had to save their tyres in 2010. Only at the beginning of the first few laps did you have to look after them at all, when the car was full of fuel.

• VXR said on 11th March 2011, 8:29

The teams said that anyone could have done an entire race on any tyre, except for Canada. And in most cases the cars would actually be going faster on old tyres as the fuel load went down!

2. StefMeister said on 10th March 2011, 23:53

To me the problem with how the Pirelli’s wear isn’t so much that they wear within 15-20 laps but its the rate they lose performance & the amount of performance they lose over the stint.

I share a similar concern to F1_Dave in that if we do see 2 drivers on different strategy’s the performance difference between them could be so great that we don’t actually see a nice race between them.

I watched last year’s Canadian Gp last week & something which i noticed was that the performance between Soft Tyres/Hard Tyres & Worn Tyres/New tyres was never more than around 1.5-2 seconds. This gap was large enough to produce some passing but not too large that it harmed racing.

For example a car on old tyres had just enough performance left to be able to defend his place which meant the car behind still had to work to find a way past. So when Hamilton/Alonso caught Webber on his older tyres we got a nice scrap over a couple laps with Webber just about able to hold Lewis/Alonso off.

If the Drop-Off is the 4-5 seconds its been in testing then it could be too big to maintain a good level of racing such as that I describe above.

I enjoy those good racing battles so don’t want to see such a big tyre difference mean that any car on old tyres is unable to do anything to defend his spot if a car on faster tyres comes up behind him.

Also concerned about the marbles. Ive seen a lot of images & some video from todays test & the amount of marbles at the sides of the track looks really bad. It was warmer today & in the range Pirelli said the tyres would work in yet from what I’ve seen/heard the warmer temperatures made no difference to the amount of marbles created or the wear rates of the tyres.

3. VXR said on 11th March 2011, 0:27

If I’m going to see an HRT overtake a Ferrari, then Pirelli can have my money for a set of their tyres any time!

Seriously though, I think we’re going to be in for some pretty serious edge-of-the-seat type racing.

This may not appeal to the sprint-stop-sprint-stop-sprint (or sprint-stop-sprint for 2010) fans of yesteryear, but it sure will make a change to see drivers actually having to ‘drive’ their cars rather than just being some sort of passenger in a ground-to-ground missile, fun-fair ride, arcade game type thing.

4. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 11th March 2011, 2:17

Nice thinking but we don’t know how much slower will the HRT be then the Ferrari? So I think that is a wrong concept> I think he should have told that Torro Rosso will overtake Red Bull or Ferrari,that would have been more appropriate.

5. The Last Pope said on 11th March 2011, 4:30

If a Ferrari on old tyres can be overtaken by a Hispania on new tyres, does this mean that when a Hispania is on old tyres it could be slower than the safty car?

6. brixspeed (@brixspeed) said on 11th March 2011, 10:59

“HRT could be faster than Ferrari on occasions”

Not “Alguersuari: tyres could put HRT in front of Ferrari”

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th March 2011, 11:11

What’s your point?

• Mr. Wrong said on 11th March 2011, 13:32

I’d say the title implies that Pirelli tyres would or could make the HRT cars faster Ferrari ones on equal terms. Since the title makes no mention of the wear conditions of the tyres it is quite easy to jump to that conclusion.
        I am not saying it is misleading; the author simply chose to leave some information out, perhaps with a view to increasing the site’s hits by creating a catchy title. After all, this site, as countless others, derive revenue from ads.

If I hypothetically created the following title “Be a lottery winner, play today!” but was careful to leave out the fact that the odds involved are in the region of 14000000 to 1, I would be opening myself to be questioned about the probability of a particular person actually winning.

Obviously, HRT could and would overtake a Ferrari given the right conditions, same as a tortoise could or would overtake a fighter jet it was stationary.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th March 2011, 13:38

It’s often not possible to cram the nuances of the point of an article into a short headline. The sub-title and first paragraphs make it abundantly clear exactly what he’s saying.

But if you can do it for this article in 52 or fewer characters that don’t split onto a third line I’d be happy to consider it.

• yeah, I didn’t really like the ‘worn ferrari’ bit, but I couldn’t find another way to keep it at 52 characters. If AlguersuFerrari’s name wasn’t so damn long it’d have been easy. :]

7. Fixy (@fixy) said on 13th March 2011, 16:01

HRT could be faster than Ferrari on occasions.

Meaning Red Bull will be first no matter what situation their tyres are in ore meaning Ferrari will be ahead of Red Bull?