HRT F111 seen for the first time in Barcelona

2011 F1 cars

HRT have shown their finished 2011 F1 car for the first time in Barcelona.

The F111 will be raced by Vitantonio Liuzzi and Narain Karthikeyan this year.

2011 F1 cars

Browse all 2011 F1 cars articles

152 comments on HRT F111 seen for the first time in Barcelona

1. James Williams said on 11th March 2011, 14:25

I wish the entire team nothing but failure, humiliation and complete destruction. They don’t deserve to be in Formula 1, they never have.

I hate this team with a passion, and that passion is far greater than their passion for racing.

• Faraz said on 11th March 2011, 14:32

Im sorry but do you run an F1 team???

They have a new decent looking car ready with Liuzzi now they already have a more promising line up.

Remember this is the smallest team in F1 coming into F1 is not easy.

Remember that teams like Force India,Sauber, and Toro Rosso (minardi) were all in similair positions when they first started out in F1 give these guys a chance with a good car.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th March 2011, 14:48

What on earth have they done to inspire that kind of vitriol?

• They don’t win, therefore they’re not cool?

I hope they do well, and if they don’t, they can be like the new Minardi, the ream we cheer on for just being there!

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 11th March 2011, 15:01

Ah looks like its Mr Campos

• Rob Haswell said on 11th March 2011, 15:01

They got in the way. I don’t hate them this much, but I don’t think they should be in F1. The other new teams (well.. at least one of them) are clearly making progress – building their technological and personnel portfolios and generally spending the money. That’s what it comes down to.

HRT have no resources for development, they’re the joke of the paddock and nobody wants to be associated with them. Because of this, they’ll never get more sponsors, and never have enough money to improve. It’s a vicious cycle, one that Virgin and Lotus have broken but I’m afraid I can never see HRT managing.

It’s almost like they’re making a mockery of the sport. If they can never improve to fight with.. well, anyone, then they should pack up and go home. That’s the situation I think they’re in.

• Well, “hate” is a strong word, but Colin Kolles doesn’t exactly inspire warm feelings in me, to say the least. Can’t say I was too fond of how they treated their drivers last season, either. I mean, how about that bizarre incident where they claimed Sakon Yamamoto had “food poisoning” when he clearly didn’t? Both bizarre and kind of creepy.

Oh, and all this reminds me: what ever happened with their potential lawsuit against Karun Chandhok? Anything? Because that would be sure to dial up their popularity a few notches…

• RaulZ said on 11th March 2011, 16:25

Chandock was a pay driver, and he didn’t pay so he was fired and demanded. didn’t you know?

• James Williams said on 11th March 2011, 15:04

I just dislike (admittedly quite a lot) what they represent & what they bring to F1.

F1 isn’t about simply surviving on a bare minimum budget. It’s the highest classification of open cockpit racing.

HRT hire drivers for their money & they only hired Liuzzi because the rules say they have to have two drivers.

they put messages on the side of their car that are fit for small rally-cross championships, not formula 1.

Basically they represent the worst of Formula 1.

• Andy C said on 11th March 2011, 15:11

HRT hire drivers for their money

Quite a lot of drivers at the top level also bring sponsorship with them, but they arent considered pay drivers?

I think it is different shades of grey.

On your comments on the livery, would you rather they just left it all white and no logos at all.

The point is it is a gimic to highlight the potential for advertising. Far better than a blank car….

• Rob Haswell said on 11th March 2011, 15:22

Really, is it? Would you like your 458 Italia plastered in Shell logos? Sponsor logos make cars look worse, I’d much rather they put a nice design on it or chose a good colour than this worst-of-all-worlds “Your name here” crap.

• James Williams said on 11th March 2011, 15:41

The difference between HRT and those teams are that the teams have money to begin with, HRT survive on sucking the drivers dry.

• They do belong in F1 because we’ve had teams struggle for survival like Minardi with almost zero hope of getting any decent points for years. I don’t see why HRT get so much hatred I really don’t. If anything they show just how tough F1 is and yet they stick with it which I find quite inspiring.

• RaulZ said on 11th March 2011, 16:34

I see that you are a very elitist. Maybe you should see horse racing at Ascot and not F1. In any case, the fact that there are these teams in F1 is Moxley’s fault and his ideas to make F1 less elitist. And Ecclestone, obsessed with having 24 cars. Let’s see if we notice who is doing more harm to F1.

• Faraz said on 11th March 2011, 15:08

Ha vitriol. Its just people have become very critical of HRT.
        They are a small team who need to use the best business strategy to be able to participate in F1.
        Last year they finished ahead of Virgin in a less competitive car now they have a car ready to race in 2011 which they have manufactured with a very small budget so respect to them.

P.S Kolles offered me a drive if I bring good publicity ;)

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th March 2011, 15:09

I guess they have to guts to show up with a car at the last possible minute, with hardly any money and little resources and PR going into it! And just obviously stating they have no sponsors what so ever!
        The nerve of it, that should not be allowed!

Seriously I think they did a great job to make it this far with what little they have. Nice idea about the livery as well. And the upside is, they might actually have the only car on the grid that improved its downforce over last year.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 11th March 2011, 18:50

I agree. I was very skeptical if they’d even finish the season last year, let alone have a new car for this year… Hats off to them for actually having a new car before qualifying at the first race of the season. As much as I like to pick on them repeatedly, I really do wish them well and hope that they can stay in F1, and improve to at least the point where they can fight with the other backmarkers…

• Rob Wilson said on 11th March 2011, 14:59

Wow, that’s uncalled for..They will be trying an aweful lot harder than you think. Why so much hatred? I admire their determination not to give in.

• JamoduF1 said on 11th March 2011, 15:18

Yeah, as much as I like to take the mickey out of HRT and their Daz Ultra bright white racing suits, I do admire their tenacity and wish them well.

I certainly wouldn’t want them, or any other motorsport team to suffer complete destruction and humiliation. That’s a little harsh!

• HRT CEO said on 11th March 2011, 16:47

and we wish you all the best too!

• Arun.India said on 11th March 2011, 18:38

I genuinely hope they become an Iconic team like minardi!!!!If you dont have teams like these you wouldnt have found drivers like alonso or webber!!!these are the teams which bring drivers into f1!!!Not every body is leweis hamilton to straight away get a mclaren!!!!

• Keep taking the tablets.

2. verstappen said on 11th March 2011, 14:25

I so hope they surprise us all. It’s amazing what these guys have done, with so little money!

3. somerandomguy said on 11th March 2011, 15:02

I dont like the livery. Theyre not iconic team colours and they wont grow on me

• I bet that they don’t win the championship…but I also bet that McLaren wouldn’t win it either. So, for me, they have much in common.

4. Unoformula said on 11th March 2011, 15:07

Too many people laughing at HRT, but they weren’t the team finishing last in 2010 and they weren’t the team miscalculating the fuel deposit size.

I bet this year they won’t be the last team again.

5. Did you notice the funny “Nothing Special Here” with an arrow in pic 4?

6. SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 11th March 2011, 15:38

So where tdo they get their money from to build a new car if they have no sponsors? If it takes zero cash I’d build one myself! :)

• Aetost (@aetost) said on 11th March 2011, 16:27

They have some TV money, some TATA money, Cabarante’s spare change and high hopes that Team Lotus changes their name, in order to inherit their TV money and free transportation rights

7. Its last years car with a new front and rear wing and some modified rear bodywork. Oh and a new paint job

8. Tom, Dick & Harry said on 11th March 2011, 16:02

It isn’t possible for every team to win the Championship.
    It isn’t possible for every team to score Championship points.
    Small budget privateer teams are as much a part of the history of F1 as those that are backed with the deep pockets of manufacturers.
    Williams didn’t start out with huge resources, but have managed to gain recognition as having one of the best records in the sport. HRT, Virgin or Lotus may never achieve those heights but one has to admire their ambition to try.
    Remember Minardi’s points finish at Melbourne with Mark Webber? No big deal for a Ferrari or McLaren, but a great reward for Minardi’s efforts and one that fans of the little guy should celebrate!

• Burnout said on 11th March 2011, 17:40

That was a great race to watch, seeing Webber fend off Salo right to the last lap. Even if they aren’t able to move up the field, I hope HRT are able to stick around the way Minardi did.

The way Minardi showed up season after season was endearing. Stoddart’s whingeing was not.

9. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 11th March 2011, 17:36

Ah it looks great :D

10. Burnout said on 11th March 2011, 17:42

Shame they haven’t brought in any more sponsors other than Tata and Speed. Putting a logo on that sort of a livery would get a brand noticed very easily!

11. judo chop said on 11th March 2011, 17:49

Good luck to them. I’ve got a feeling they’ll kick Virgins backside (well at least Liuzzi will).

12. BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th March 2011, 17:56

Nice to have higher quality images up. A bit of a shame about the nice little details clearly being sticker labels though.

13. Oliver said on 11th March 2011, 18:10

CFD requires a vast amount of computing power. The data generated demands mammoth storage requirement. And then it isn’t even a hundred percent accurate. It can not always predict te airflow when you have two different objects interracting to produce a complex airflow.

Its best used to analyse wind tunnel data.
    The best results fro CFD are those that receive feed back from a wind tunnel to better update the CFD mathematical model.

A wind tunnel is a controlled environment.
    So it is much more reliable than a live test.
    If Virgin use a live test (circuit) to corroborate their CFD data, how can they be sure its not some random wind pattern or air pressure enhancing the result.

14. Arun.India said on 11th March 2011, 18:29

As usual an indian Driver in F1 driving for a team which will come last!!!!