Lewis Hamilton to be managed by Simon Fuller

2011 F1 season

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Interlagos, 2010

Lewis Hamilton’s career is to be managed by Simon Fuller.

Fuller is a a major figure in the entertainment industry. He created the internationally successful “Pop Idol” series and has promoted many big names in entertainment and sport.

His previous involvement in F1 came through his company 19 Entertainment (now largely owned by XIX Entertainment), which created the ‘Earth Car’ livery which used by Honda in 2007 and 2008.

Fuller has represented other British sporting stars including footballer David Beckham and tennis player Andy Murray.

Hamilton said: “It was important that I took my time to make this decision as it had to be right for my career and my long-term future.

“I spoke to many interested companies in recent months but I felt Simon Fuller, along with his team at XIX Entertainment, not only wanted to help me become an even better racing driver, but they also shared my ambitions for the longer term. I look forward to working with them closely.”

Fuller said: “I?d met Lewis and his father several times in the past and kept an eye on his career closely over the years. Like any British sports fan, I watched with pride and admiration at his achievements, incredibly winning the world championship at such a young age.

“He?s not only one of the leading sportsmen of his generation, but he will, I believe, become one of the best of all time. It?s an honour to be partnering with Lewis in what will be a very exciting stage of his career.”

Hamilton was previously managed by his father Anthony, but that arrangement came to an end at the beginning of 2010 and he has been without a manager since then. He said: This is great news for Lewis and for Simon.

“Lewis has wisely taken his time to find a good person to look after him. I met with Simon a couple of years back and he was then at the top of my list as my potential replacement. I?m happy to see that, two years on, Lewis has also come to his own opinion about Simon and made his own decision.”

2011 F1 season

Browse all 2011 F1 season articles

Image ?? www.mclaren.com

61 comments on Lewis Hamilton to be managed by Simon Fuller

1. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 14th March 2011, 12:59

Lewis Hamilton aftershave coming to a store near you.

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 14th March 2011, 13:40

I wonder who manages Nicole Scherzinger?

Lewis is an entertaining driver all right. Whether an entertainment mogul will do well as his manager is another matter… Still, as it doesn’t affect racing, Mclaren, or cars, I couldn’t care less, it’s Lewis’s choice.

Welcome to the Piranha Club, Simon!*

*Hopefully the Piranhas will take a few bites to make up for the pain inflicted on the universe by Pop Idol and its descendants, however.

• DeadManWoking said on 14th March 2011, 14:07

Still, as it doesn’t affect racing, Mclaren, or cars, I couldn’t care less

Hamilton’s contract with McLaren expires at the end of 2012. Interesting that Vettel’ who manages himself, just extended with Red Bull through 2014.

• TrueF1Grit (@truef1grit) said on 14th March 2011, 20:26

I don’t think this has that much relevance, who knows what each drivers wants for their own future. Maybe Vettel is more committed in the long term? Maybe Hamilton wants to keep his options open?

2. mattclinch (@mattclinch) said on 14th March 2011, 12:59

thanks keith. just spat my lunch over my keyboard.

what a joke.

• Hare (@hare) said on 14th March 2011, 22:25

Joke? Or brand management decision.

It’s not like he needs to find a drive next season. He wants to make the best of his brand. That’s what Simon Fuller does.

I get your reaction, but it’s less about F1 and more about making money as a business.

3. Rodrct777 said on 14th March 2011, 13:00

Good for him! His new manager will take care his business. He already has his father if he needs advise relate to F1.

4. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 14th March 2011, 13:11

Tlaking about liveries, does anybody know how the liveries are painted on the car? I mean, is it painting or it’s a big kind of sticker? I remember liveries like Toyota or that “World Dream” by Honda kind of awesome. Or is it robot-made? Answer please, even if the question is so oobvious for some

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 14th March 2011, 13:33

I think most teams spray it on in a paintshop.

Although some of those launch liveries were obviously done partly by stickers (the Lotus different colours and look at the white area around the HRT, Pirelli and Cosmic Motors logos on the HRT car).

I read interesting stories about how a different amount of layers are needed for different colours which has effect on the car weight!

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 14th March 2011, 14:02

Sauber just seem to have put a bunch of stickers in a cannon and fired them at the C30…

• QuadQuantum said on 14th March 2011, 18:38

It was my understanding that they are vinyl sticks which can be freely removed and replaced. Renault had to remove most their sponsorship stuff in 09 after Crashgate, so I think it can be done quite quickly and easily.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 15th March 2011, 1:09

There was an article in F1Racing magazine about how McLaren paint their cars. Apparently the paint weighs over a kilogram in total! If someone bought that Toyota and ran it without paint, they’d have had a kilogram to play with for innovations! Someone should try running a plain carbon-fibre car as an experiment for one season. It’s look cool too! :)

5. Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 14th March 2011, 13:18

Whenever I hear of Simon Fuller for some reason I always think of Simon Cowell! And I just googled him now, turns out they look a bit alike… http://static.unrealitytv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/simon-fuller.jpg

• ajokay (@ajokay) said on 14th March 2011, 14:14

There’s a brilliant episode of Channel 4’s ‘Star Stories’ which tells the story of Simon Fuller, Simon Cowell, and their quest to saturate TV and Music with Pop Idols. Well worth a watch, might be on 4OD somewhere.

• Cacarella said on 14th March 2011, 14:31

He does look like Simon Cowell.
      And they both look a lot like James Allen!

• Poul said on 14th March 2011, 18:17

By googeling his name I got seven photos in the second line…. one of which was of Simon Cowell, haha!

6. Gusto said on 14th March 2011, 13:19

Lol. How long before Simon Cowell becomes Vettel`s manager and the `Battle of the Simon,s` begins again.

• james_mc said on 14th March 2011, 20:17

Perhaps some kind of Next Future F1 Star/Idol/X-Factor program where we can vote for who gets a seat in the RBR8 for a year?

Better keep it quiet, Bernie might like that idea!

7. Ben N said on 14th March 2011, 13:24

A good job he has a new manager but I think he would’ve benefited more from someone with F1 experience – someone like Martin Brundle, Jackie Stewart etc… obviously not them exactly, but with similar experience of the goings on, if not background in management…

8. BasCB (@bascb) said on 14th March 2011, 13:24

Would be interesting to hear Fuller give his views on the HRT livery, wouldn’t it?

As for “managing” Hamilton, I suppose this is mainly about getting some personal sponsorship deals to fit into the McLaren portfolio.

Funny idea about him actually helping Lewis “to improve as a driver”.

• Well, I suppose if he looks after Hamilton’s business interests it allows Hamilton to focus on his driving. That could conceivably “improve” him as a driver.

9. the Erv said on 14th March 2011, 13:42

The beginning of the end for Hamilton, up next a spot on the X Factor judging panel followed by a duet with Justin Bieber

10. topdowntoedown (@topdowntoedown) said on 14th March 2011, 13:44

Does this mean Hamilton is “F1 Spice” now?

Cue an awful lot more “living the dream” and “We’ve been on a journey” codswallop.

11. verstappen said on 14th March 2011, 13:49

The Honda-earth-car… Now, there’s an endorsement!

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 14th March 2011, 13:50

Thought I reconised the name…bit of an odd choise, but if everyones happy, fair enough.

13. Baracca said on 14th March 2011, 13:56

Brilliant, seems like more sponsorship and advertising deals will be coming through.

I keep getting offers from a certain bank and a certain mobile phone company. I wouldn’t touch anything remotely related to McL with a 10,000,000 feet pole, so I tell them: the offer seems interesting; just get back to me the moment you stop sponsoring anything McL-related forever.

Maybe I’ll have to say that a lot more often in the near future. And sponsors just might eventually take a hint

• judo chop said on 14th March 2011, 16:50

People who’d turn down what they know to be a good offer because of a particular F1 association are a minority sane sponsor’s are not too concerned with missing.

• Julian said on 15th March 2011, 1:17

I dont know what Vodaphone are like outside of Australia, but down here they are male cow poo.

14. John H. said on 14th March 2011, 13:59

If he wanted someone in F1, he would’ve stick with his Dad. Lewis said many times he wants to stay at mclaren and if He want to switch teams, he can ask his Dad to help him as his dad. There’s nothing wrong for a driver like Lewis to want to grow as a brand! I wish him good luck!