Lewis Hamilton to be managed by Simon Fuller

2011 F1 season

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Interlagos, 2010

Lewis Hamilton’s career is to be managed by Simon Fuller.

Fuller is a a major figure in the entertainment industry. He created the internationally successful “Pop Idol” series and has promoted many big names in entertainment and sport.

His previous involvement in F1 came through his company 19 Entertainment (now largely owned by XIX Entertainment), which created the ‘Earth Car’ livery which used by Honda in 2007 and 2008.

Fuller has represented other British sporting stars including footballer David Beckham and tennis player Andy Murray.

Hamilton said: “It was important that I took my time to make this decision as it had to be right for my career and my long-term future.

“I spoke to many interested companies in recent months but I felt Simon Fuller, along with his team at XIX Entertainment, not only wanted to help me become an even better racing driver, but they also shared my ambitions for the longer term. I look forward to working with them closely.”

Fuller said: “I?d met Lewis and his father several times in the past and kept an eye on his career closely over the years. Like any British sports fan, I watched with pride and admiration at his achievements, incredibly winning the world championship at such a young age.

“He?s not only one of the leading sportsmen of his generation, but he will, I believe, become one of the best of all time. It?s an honour to be partnering with Lewis in what will be a very exciting stage of his career.”

Hamilton was previously managed by his father Anthony, but that arrangement came to an end at the beginning of 2010 and he has been without a manager since then. He said: This is great news for Lewis and for Simon.

“Lewis has wisely taken his time to find a good person to look after him. I met with Simon a couple of years back and he was then at the top of my list as my potential replacement. I?m happy to see that, two years on, Lewis has also come to his own opinion about Simon and made his own decision.”

2011 F1 season

Browse all 2011 F1 season articles

Image ?? www.mclaren.com

61 comments on Lewis Hamilton to be managed by Simon Fuller

1. IllinoisBob said on 14th March 2011, 14:25

Yes, but when it becomes all about building the Lewis Hamilton brand, it will become less about winning world championships. I wish Lewis well, and it pains me to watch him change from a race car driver to a brand.

• One has to maximise his eqiuty when he has the chance. Though I dont think you need to worry about Lewis losing focus on his driving. The guy geniunely loves to race, if he decided to qiut F1, I guarantee he’d be racing in some other series.
      I hope he tries NASCAR. He’ll garner far less unfounded and stupefying critism in America.

2. Robbie (@robbie) said on 14th March 2011, 14:45

I think all athletes these days try to be their own brand…they all have websites and merchandise and try to capitalize on their name and success away from their sport, not just within it. And they often do great charity work because of their name, ie. their brand, as well…

Interestingly, Mac is a team not interested in drivers for the personal sponsorship they bring…they want their drivers loyal to the main team sponsors…not that their drivers can’t have other stuff going on outside of F1, but the Mac way is that their drivers are corporate drivers.

So I’m sure LH is just seeking to maximize his exposure and income as a brand while his name has some weight, no different than any other pro athlete in any other sport…and he is a WDC after all…

The real question is…can he sing?

3. This seems like a good match.

Speaks volumes..

4. Icthyes said on 14th March 2011, 15:55

I think what we have to remember is that in F1, managers are not like football managers. The teams already supply advisors, in fact I can think of none better for Lewis at the moment than his current team-mate. Managers are all about contracts and the like, in fact Mark Webber said he liked having Flavio as a manger because he didn’t have to do anything, which shows how little importance managers have in relation to the drivers’ performance.

• Hyoko said on 15th March 2011, 1:23

I can think of none better … than his current team-mate

I’d think JB’s top priority would be getting wins for himself, not for his team-mate.

• Kenny said on 16th March 2011, 8:36

Ichytes’ point, I think, is that Jenson has influenced Lewis in a very positive way, and he is right about that.

5. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 14th March 2011, 17:39

Yes, but how many jobs does he have? :D

6. jonnyw360f1 (@jonnyw360f1) said on 14th March 2011, 17:49

Does this mean that Lewis will be reaching for the stars and climbing every mountain high?

7. The Limit said on 14th March 2011, 18:59

Does this mean Hamilton is now a Spice Girl? Who do ya want do you really really want? Not Fernando thats for sure!

8. schooner said on 14th March 2011, 20:53

He should have hired Vettel!

9. John H said on 14th March 2011, 21:00

How the hell can Simon Fuller, along with his team at XIX Entertainment help him “become an even better racing driver?”

10. Regis said on 14th March 2011, 22:50

That picture of Hamilton is hilarious !!

• Wobblebottom said on 15th March 2011, 1:07

Totally agree, it’s a ‘I just farted and I’m just waiting for someone to smell it’ face! :-)

11. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 15th March 2011, 2:17

I really don’t understand why do F1 drivers need a personal manager? Vettel don’t have? Neither do I think Roseberg or Kubica? Do only star drivers have??

12. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 15th March 2011, 9:14

Hamilton wants to go into film and music. Honestly, I’m a little surprised he hasn’t appeared in one of Nicole Sureidbangher’s videos yet.

Speaking of, I think it’s about time we started referring to her as the Pussycat Doll. The rest are just glorified backup dancers.

13. Stephen W said on 15th March 2011, 22:01

Maybe his business interests have taken over? Selling his name as a brand? Selling your soul to the highest bidder is more like it,he should have had a manager to find a manager. Hamilton talks about humility frankly he wouldn,t recognise it if it shoved in the face.

14. He is simply using his fame to cash in on many endorsement deals as he can while he can. Bottom line, its about money.