Lewis Hamilton said McLaren have made a “massive step” after qualifying second for the Australian Grand Prix.
Hamilton said: “I’m thrilled to be here today.
“The guys at the factory have done an unbelievable job. A massive step this weekend, the car’s feeling fantastic and of course we still have a lot of work to do be we’ve really got ourselves on the right track and a great foundation for us to build upon.
“I know the guys back in the factory will keep trying but a big thank-you to everyone at home, keep pushing!”
Hamilton qualified second despite having a problem with KERS halfway through his fastest lap.
Jenson Button took fourth on the grid behind Mark Webber.
2011 Australian Grand Prix
- Hamilton and Button expect more from McLaren
- Sauber will not appeal Australia disqualification
- 2011 Australian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Australian Grand Prix weekend?
- No home advantage for Webber at Red Bull
- Relief at McLaren after last-minute changes pay off
- Ferrari look for answers on missing pace
- Collisions spoil Mercedes’ start to the season
- Petrov fires Renault with fine drive to first podium
- Unreliability and driver errors hold Williams back
Browse all 2011 Australian Grand Prix articles