Nick Heidfeld failed to progress beyond Q1 after experiencing a problem with his Kinetic Energy Recovery System.
Heidfeld said: “I?óÔé¼Ôäóm disappointed to be starting the season from so far back.
“It wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót an easy session and I had a problem with the KERS, which meant I had to change some settings, and that cost me one of my timed laps.”
He also lost some time trying to pass other cars: “There was so much traffic and I tried to find some free space, but it didn?óÔé¼Ôäót work out for me.
“It?óÔé¼Ôäós bad luck, but I must try and put that behind me now. As we have seen with Vitaly, the car seems to have good pace and the race is wide open, so hopefully I can move forward and fight for points.”
Team mate Vitaly Petrov will start 12 places ahead of his team mate:
“After all the hard work during a very tough winter for the whole team, it feels great to come here and qualify on the third row.
“There was a lot of pressure in Q3 because I only had one run, right at the end of the session. So there were no second chances and I?óÔé¼Ôäóm glad I was able to deliver the lap.
“The car has felt good right from the start of practice and we?óÔé¼Ôäóve improved it constantly during each session. I think we are in a great position for the race and that we can fight for some points tomorrow.
“I?óÔé¼Ôäóm not too worried about the tyres because they have been working well for us so far and we have not seen the drop off that we saw during winter testing.”
2011 Australian Grand Prix
- Hamilton and Button expect more from McLaren
- Sauber will not appeal Australia disqualification
- 2011 Australian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Australian Grand Prix weekend?
- No home advantage for Webber at Red Bull
- Relief at McLaren after last-minute changes pay off
- Ferrari look for answers on missing pace
- Collisions spoil Mercedes’ start to the season
- Petrov fires Renault with fine drive to first podium
- Unreliability and driver errors hold Williams back
Browse all 2011 Australian Grand Prix articles