Rate the race: 2011 Australian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Australian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (3%)
  • 5 (7%)
  • 6 (22%)
  • 7 (39%)
  • 8 (20%)
  • 9 (5%)
  • 10 (1%)

Total Voters: 611

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

190 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Australian Grand Prix

1 2 3 6
  1. driftin said on 27th March 2011, 8:36

6/10 Not a hugely exciting race but it was decent, lots of interesting and tense battles and the strategies brought a lot of dynamics into it. The DRS on the straight does actually bring in a fair bit of excitement and I’m looking forward to seeing more of it in future races.

The most interesting thing about this race was the results: Petrov on the podium (WOAH), Perez on one stop beating Kobayashi in the Saubers and Buemi completing the top 10. Brilliant! And so wonderful to see Petrov beat Alonso again!

If Kubica wasn’t at home in bandages he would’ve been a serious championship contender this year.

One question though – did Ferrari let Alonso past Massa during that thing where Button went off the track? One minute it was Massa -Button-Alonso, then it was Button-Alonso-Massa.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 27th March 2011, 8:41

Yes they did they reasoned Button would have to let them both through, in the end Button got his penalty so it all worked out for Alonso. Team orders already, eh.

• DannyJ said on 27th March 2011, 8:51

Another example of Alonso’s rubbish overtaking skills. Ferrari are fine tacticians (and sometimes fine cheats) but whilst Massa is prepared to fall on his sword for the Prancing Ponies, Alonso will continue to get results he doesn’t deserve.

• DanThorn said on 27th March 2011, 9:28

What rubbish overtaking skills? He passed Kobayashi round the outside of Turn 11, just like Hamilton did the year before, nailed Rosberg off camera and then passed Massa.

I could also mention plenty of other occasions where Alonso has proven himself a more than adequate overtaker, but something tells me you wouldn’t bother listening…

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 27th March 2011, 9:56

Though I think he has fine overtaking skills, I agree with your post whole heartedly Danny.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 27th March 2011, 10:59

The move on Massa was a genuine move. I don’t think Massa was told to move out of the way, he just put up a poor fight.

Anyway, I think Massa was shockingly bad today. If he hadn’t passed Buemi today he would have found himself by 3 Ferrari engined mid-fielders.

• Mack41 (@mack41) said on 27th March 2011, 15:16

Massa had a terrible race. If Alonso has such rubbish overtaking skills then how did he win 2 World Championships? He had several overtakes today. Why is it so hard for some people to respect the drivers; no need to like them but to claim a 2 time world champion F1 driver has “rubbish overtaking skills” is asinine. If your a Massa fan face the fact he raced like crap today and move on

• Dougie (@f1droid) said on 27th March 2011, 19:44

Rubbish overtaking skills!?!

Are we talking about the same guy that took Schumacher around the outside of 130R?

• socalf1fan (@socalf1fan) said on 27th March 2011, 23:46

@Tommy : I don’t know, Massa was pretty damn good at defending against Button at least

• Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 28th March 2011, 6:50

and then passed Massa

You say that like it means something when Alonso does it. You have me confused.

• IceMan said on 30th March 2011, 11:30

I don’t see any cheating here. Clever thinking by Ferrari. :)

• I agree, alonso started the year, equal to 2010, taking advantage of others. Massa was much better

• Himmat S. said on 27th March 2011, 8:48

Yep. First race and Massa’s the dog already. Pity him :(

• SabatFormulaOne (@sabatformulaone) said on 27th March 2011, 17:20

Massa is simply a second driver , as Barrichello , Irvine and others in the past !

• Gambit said on 27th March 2011, 21:22

In retrospect, it sucked. Because:

-drivers being disqualified and more to come
          -KERS is pointless
          -DRS is pointless, what you think helped overtaking was actually drafting
          -Pirelli degradation was overstated (1 stop for Perez)
          -FIA continues to be biased

• Mack41 (@mack41) said on 28th March 2011, 18:38

1) They broke the rules. It sucks, and I’m a Sauber fan, but can’t do anything about it

2)KERS, in its current form, is pointless and really only helps when coupled with the DRS. When it is made more powerful it will make a bigger difference

3)DRS aided the draft giving drivers a better draft. It wasn’t an automatic overtake, thank god, and did its job. Perhaps an added 50 meters or so would be ideal

4)When 1 driver makes 1 stop it is as advertised. Don’t take anything more away from Perez; what he did was special.

5)If that is about Button’s pass on Massa that was a good call. Button made a stupid move by completely cutting the corner and not giving the position back. Sure, he may have been ahead by a bit, but Massa had the better line. Either way, it was obvious a penalty was going to be called so Button could have saved himself a lot of trouble by handing the position back right away. Seemed he was growing impatient behind Massa.

• Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 27th March 2011, 8:50

I dont think they did – Alonso and Massa looked like they were fighting each other, not letting each other though…I dont think there would have been enough time between Button cutting the corner to pass and Alonso getting past Massa to have discussed it fully.

• choiMatthew (@choimatthew) said on 27th March 2011, 8:53

Massa slowed down significantly in the next 3 corners before they reached the pit entrance, and Alonso passed Massa in some weird positions – it does seem like Massa has let Alonso pass deliberately

• Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 27th March 2011, 8:58

It looked to me as if Massa defended up the inside in to turn 13, Alonso switched back up the inside and nailed him in to the next corner. What’s so strange about that? Massa had no pace anyway…

There may have been an element of not fighting as hard because it’s your team mate, but actively letting him through? I really don’t think so.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 27th March 2011, 11:46

Ferrari have proven, repeatedly, since the end of the Schumacher era, that while they won’t hesitaite to use team orders late in the season, they wait untill they’ve got a clear leader within their team, for the year.

Raikkonen 07
            Massa 08
            Alonso 10

So at this stage of the season, you can assume that it’s genuine fighting. Just as Massa keeping Alonso behind last season at Aus, wasn’t exactly team orders.

• Himmat S. said on 27th March 2011, 8:55

It common snese to Massa I guess. See a Ferrari in your rear-view mirror and immediately let him thorough. That sort of thing.

• Julian (@julian) said on 27th March 2011, 9:08

Im sure that if someone from ferrari told massa to let alonso through we would have heard a radio transmission just like at Germany last year.
        Because i haven’t, I’m inclined to think that Alonso had the run on massa who didnt put up a fight

• infy (@infy) said on 27th March 2011, 9:41

Thats rubbish Icthyes. FOM would have put that on air for sure if it was true.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th March 2011, 8:50

To me it looked like Massa slowed enought to let him by and get past Button there. Would be suprised if that was not planned by Ferrari to get Alonso or both past Button.

• BBT (@bbt) said on 27th March 2011, 9:02

Yeap, a clever switch by Ferrari as Button had to then let both through.
        I guess Massa knows he place this year, not even quarter of the 1st race gone and has to let Alonso through… how very sad (and sad he was soooo slow)

• choiMatthew (@choimatthew) said on 27th March 2011, 8:50

That’s when I’ve lost all respect to Ferrari – what happened last year in Hockenheim was unsporty, but this is just pure lack of sportsmanship

• James_mc (@james_mc) said on 27th March 2011, 8:53

I though it was brilliant strategy! Button really only has himself to blame, if he was going to relinquish his place he would have done so immediately rather than scampering off

• robbiepblake (@driftin) said on 27th March 2011, 8:59

It wasn’t that simple though. He had TWO Ferraris right behind him very closely. If he’d let one go do you really think the other would say ‘okay, I’ll stay where I was so it’s back to normal’? No.

• James_mc (@james_mc) said on 27th March 2011, 9:03

Ah no, but as soon as he cut the kerb he pulled away from Massa. If he had had any intention of returning his place he would have slowed down immediately (see Hamilton in Spa 2008 for example), and then by the time it was clear he’d cut the corner it was too late for him.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 27th March 2011, 9:33

Yep.. it wasn’t that simple.. but then again why did he have cut a corner in the 1st place? Its not like he was squeezed off track. I honestly think it was just a brain fade moment from Button or maybe someone forgot to tell Button that Bernie’s shortcut WASN’T implemented.

• Julian (@julian) said on 27th March 2011, 9:01

exactly my thoughts.
          It was an illegal overtake, all he needed to do was give the position back and it never would have happened.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 27th March 2011, 9:13

I disliked it in one way, but I also thought it was really cleverly done by Ferrari as it seemed clear Button would have to let Massa past – Ferrari learned from last years mistakes doing that; they made sure Button had to at least let them both through; then they forced it into a drive through, got Alonso on softs to make sure he was ahead of Button afterwards. Good thinking really.

I think it is just as last year: just let the guy take his place again as soon as possible, that’s the best way if you went off track during overtaking someone.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 27th March 2011, 9:11

The race wasn’t so exciting as the commentators made it seem, because every time a car was on the start/finish straight they were shouting around telling the driver would have used the DRS, but in the end only a few did so.

• Martin said on 27th March 2011, 12:56

No. Alonso fought with Massa for a few corners and eventually passed him.

• Nick said on 28th March 2011, 10:58

lolol it took me 3 seconds while watching to figure it was instant team orders – Alonso was staying well behind the the two fighting for a long long time – he had the pace in him all along! 2ndly massa had a clean exit out of 12, nothing to hold him down / make him drop back to alonso – but alonso was passed him by 14 – instant team order IMO “let alonso thru to have both our cars passed button” the probable message passed out to him – button gets away, pit them both – button gets drive thru.

nice, cheap yet in-the-rules tactic. I guess this is exactly why we love ferrari without realising it – same thing with Schumacher over all those years

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 28th March 2011, 15:00

I think that if you go by FM’s outrage last year, his utter insistance that he is ‘no Reubens’ at Ferrari, insisting he was not going to play second fiddle to FA, then I think that if there was actually a team order yesterday FM would be making sure everybody knew it…instead, no such comment from FM…

I think all that went on is that FM’s tires were hurting, FA was faster at the time, end of story…my proof? Only that if it was otherwise, FM would have let us know by now…especially when everybody will be looking for exactly that very thing, especially after how last year unfolded…

Let’s face the facts…there’s no way Ferrari is behaving like they did in the MS era…FM does have a fair shot this year, just as he did last year…the only thing he is suffering from is that he has one of the best as a teammate…he said enough last year to make it clear that he was no Reubens, there is no contract for him to be subservient from race 1 of the season, and that he would rather not race for the team if that was the direction they wanted to go…

Don’t get me wrong…I despise the FIA and Ferrari for their massive multi-season skewing toward MS during that chapter, but I also agree with Scribe above that since MS, Ferrari has treated their drivers equally…

Again…if they weren’t doing that now, FM would tell us…

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 28th March 2011, 15:05

I also agree that had there been a team order over the radio the FIA would have made sure we heard it, just like they did last year with Ferrari’s nudge nudge wink wink comment to FM to say FA is coming up on you and is faster, hint hint…

This year team orders are legal, and yet there is no evidence that that is what went on at Ferrari yesterday.

2. FullSpe3d (@dryyoshi) said on 27th March 2011, 8:38

7. It was pretty interesting. Great to see Petrov hold onto 3rd and we can’t really be disappointed by the DRS, I wasn’t too optimistic about it in the first place.

3. Steph said on 27th March 2011, 8:38

8/10. Not quite as good as 09 or 05 but strategy variation, couple of penalties, overtaking and the young rookies showing some good form. Great start for the season

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th March 2011, 8:51

And a very exiting few laps of Massa defending from Button right at the start.

But on the downside Massa did slow down immediately to let Alonso past right after Button got off track.

• Steph said on 27th March 2011, 9:00

I doubt Massa let Alonso through. They looked like they were fighting pretty hard against each other just before that and there’s no way Ferrari would have had time for team orders as it was all over so quickly plus Ferrari let their drivers fight for the title early in the season and when one establishes a clear challenge then they back that driver and this was only the first race of the season.

• James_mc (@james_mc) said on 27th March 2011, 9:04

I agree, I think Massa got a poor drive out of the corner after fighting with Button and Alonso capitalised. Alonso then pulled away from Massa fairly quickly too so was obviously faster.

• Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 27th March 2011, 9:08

Absolutely, it was just Alonso being really sharp. Massa carried poor speed because of Button and there’s nothing he could not.
          It’s no Hockenheim.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 27th March 2011, 9:15

It looked like Massa wasn’t prepared to just let Alonso by, but in the end he was close to pit anyway, so no point in holding them both up, I suppose.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th March 2011, 9:23

Not sure about letting through, but Massa would have been told not to bother too much as they were getting him in to pit soon anyway.

Why would the team want him to defend position if he was clearly slower than Alonso there.

• joac21 (@joac21) said on 28th March 2011, 2:12

massa was just dealing with the button situation and had no time to recompose himself, he didnt let him thru.. plus alonso was very good

• Ads21 (@ads21) said on 27th March 2011, 8:57

I voted 9 out of ten, lots of overtaking was good, Alonso’s drive through the field was super mega, some welcome strategy variation shaking things up and a few surprises in the points. Also thought the DRS worked well, yes a bit artificial but I thought the balance was just about right.

The race lacked a battle at the front though, but still on the whole I absolutely loved the race, every race should be in Melbourne.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th March 2011, 10:53

I must admit it was really nice to see Alonso fight it out on track. Shame he had to fight his own car a that much though.

But I suspect that in Malaysia they will be a lot closer to the pace. At least until it rains.

4. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 27th March 2011, 8:39

8 from me. needed a fight for 1st

5. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 27th March 2011, 8:39

8/10 Not a classic but a good opener, nice action, tyre rules definitely get a thumbs-up from me, major fail on the DRS Zone location though. Hopefully no penalty for Hamilton, it was clearly damage not illegally low ride-height.

6. Martin Rasmussen (@floptickle) said on 27th March 2011, 8:39

9/10
    Would have been 10/10 if McLaren won.

• FullSpe3d (@dryyoshi) said on 27th March 2011, 9:39

• infy (@infy) said on 27th March 2011, 9:45

Impossible.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 27th March 2011, 10:54

Some people will find a race more exciting if their chosen team or driver is holding onto a lead throughout. There’s no getting past that.

It’s not like Floptickle was going to vote 10 if Mclaren won but instead voted 1. He voted 9 because the only reason it wasn’t perfect was because his team didn’t win. Seems pretty fair to me!

• Ads21 (@ads21) said on 27th March 2011, 10:10

Seriously, don’t vote if you’re going to vote like that. Its supposed to be a way of rating a race’s entertainment value to a neutral not about whether or not your favourite team/driver won

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 27th March 2011, 11:52

Weaaal, yes and no Ads21. It’s about whether you enjoyed it or not, and what you thought of the race. If your a team fanatic then obviously your team winning increases your enjoyment.

I gave the race a 7. I’d probably have kept it at 7 if McLaren had won, unless there was a battle for 1st, but it’s impossible to stay neutral unless you are neutral to everyone’s fortunes. An that’s just not the case for a lot of sports fans.

• Ads21 (@ads21) said on 28th March 2011, 1:34

Yer but I try to never voted on the basis of how I felt personally about the race, I mean I gave Brazil ’08 and Spa ’10 10/10 and 9/10 despite the fact I was really unhappy at the outcomes of the races.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 27th March 2011, 16:55

This is actually fine. I’d just word it differently to avoid all the criticism you’re getting – like ‘for me personally I would have enjoyed it more so it would have been a 10.’ Which is fair enough.

7. Will give it a ten when LH gets a dsq

8. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 27th March 2011, 8:42

7/10

Not a crazy race but rarely a moment where nothing was happening. A few passes (even one from Vettel!) and two great performances from Petrov and Perez.

9. Schlawiner (@bebilou) said on 27th March 2011, 8:43

2/10: a very confusing “race” of pitstops and videogames-style gimmicks. I just hate it.

• Ben Curly (@ben-curly) said on 27th March 2011, 9:06

What? It had a pretty regular number of pit stops and the gimmicks didn’t work that well, actually.

I rated it 6/10. There were some surprises and a couple of exciting moments, but it was a fairly boring race, as far as Australian GP’s go. Overtaking was still minimal, the effects of DRS almost negligible and KERS used primarily for defence. It does not bode well for the rest of the season.

10. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 27th March 2011, 8:44

I think 7/10 is fair. It had it’s moments, and some popular and surprising results.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 27th March 2011, 11:54

Yeah, I agree and voted simular. Not bad for an opener, not a classic that’ll be remembered for long, some good drives, some good action, podium farly nailed on from the first lap and the result never in doubt.

11. Julian (@julian) said on 27th March 2011, 8:44

i think a few people forgot to read that bit..

im thinking 8, would do 7.5 if i could :P

12. snmt29 (@snmt29) said on 27th March 2011, 8:44

wasted for hamilton :(

13. BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th March 2011, 8:48

I’ve given it an 8/10. First race of the year. Nice battle between Button and several cars. Exiting running between others as well.

Rubens had a bit of a mind drain, I bet he nailed Rosbergs exhausts there.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 27th March 2011, 9:21

exactly my thoughts; I hope at some point in the season we will see someone battle with Vettel for the lead, but it was pretty entertaining, and I’m happy that the DRS doesn’t make overtaking too easy, but does seem to help a bit. Loved Perez being able to only do two stints, seeing Petrov keeping it cool. At about third way through, I would have liked to see more of what happened in the midfield, but that is a problem with the camera’s not the race itself.

14. a4p (@a4p) said on 27th March 2011, 8:48

A little boring in the front spots, but Alonso, Massa and Button were fun to watch… I think that ‘8’ is well deserved for this race.

15. Alec said on 27th March 2011, 8:49