Kimi R??ikk??nen to race in NASCAR

F1 Fanatic round-up

In today’s round-up: Kimi R??ikk??nen is looking at racing in NASCAR.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Raikkonen set for NASCAR (Autocar)

??I’m really looking forward to get there to familiarise to the world of NASCAR. I have been following it for a long time. I know, it’s a very tough and open top racing series.”

Lewis Hamilton sees fight with Fernando Alonso as new ‘Senna v Prost’ (The Guardian)

“I will always think that my nemesis and my closest rival will always be Fernando. Just because of my history, when I started out. I see him as my Prost, if we were [Alain] Prost and [Ayrton] Senna. If you were to say ‘choose a driver’ [that I would like to be] I would clearly choose Ayrton. And maybe I would put him as Prost.”

Just how fast is the Red Bull? (BBC)

“There is nothing to suggest the raw one-lap pace advantage of the RB7 in Melbourne is not very real.”

Mark Webber interview (F1 Fanatic on YouTube)

David Coulthard: now for a showstopper at Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang Circuit following Australia (Daily Telegraph)

“I didn?t think it was a classic Down Under by any means, although it wasn?t a bad race. Crucially, I saw enough in it to suggest that we could be in for some brilliant races elsewhere.”

Brawn blames set-up for poor weekend (Autosport)

“We had a very messy weekend. Cars these days have got a lot of interesting systems on and we had a job keeping everything running, which means that we haven’t done the fundamental work of getting the car balanced and finding the right set-up. It has been a disappointing weekend and we should have been able to do better than we achieved.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

This comment from Mateuss on why so many people voted for Sergio Perez as Driver of the Weekend made me chuckle:

This is very unfair, everyone is voting for Perez because most of the readers are Mexican and this is a Mexican site… No, wait, that’s not right!

But on a serious note ?ǣ I was truly stunned by his performance, at one point he set purple sector two and I thought ??his tyres are going, he must have cut the fast chicane? but he kept replicating the times and was often on the pace with the leader, putting in lap times similar to people on three stops, I am still amazed by this.
Mateuss

From the forum

Take a look at the 2011 Australian GP overtaking data for review.

Site updates

Thanks for the feedback from those of you who’ve experienced slow or failed page loading while visiting the site. If you’ve had this problem please get in touch by email and include details of which browser/s you used and which country you are in.

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Lee!

On this day in F1

Carlos Reutemann scored his first F1 win in the South African Grand Prix on this day in 1974.

Here’s some footage of the race:

229 comments on Kimi R??ikk??nen to race in NASCAR

1 2 3 4
  1. RIISE (@riise) said on 30th March 2011, 0:04

Kimi…Kimi…Kimi…

2. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 30th March 2011, 0:08

Happy birthday Lee!

I’d love to watch Kimi race some cars, but I don’t think that’s motivation enough for me to suffer through watching a NASCAR race.

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 30th March 2011, 0:16

Thats pretty much what I thought. Nascar is just too boring and artificial, but on the other hand, Montoya and Kimi really battling it out hard on track would be fun. Hope I’ll find a good source for race summaries with nice footage. The 15 minutes of WRC you can get here are pathetic enough (not because they are short, but also bad editing and commentary).

Also Hami promoting himsef as modern Senna again still doesn’t feel right to me, but its interesting what he is saying. Hope we can see some good battes between those two again in the future and hopefully they wil be for victories, not just for RB leftovers.

• F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 30th March 2011, 0:30

right on. kimi is the exact opposite of nascar, so i hope he makes his money and bails out. also, wrc has all but disappeared from american tv since speed became the nascar channel. i think it can still be found on an obscure channel occasionally.

and hamilton is way out of line comparing himself to senna. hubris goeth before a fall.

• Julian said on 30th March 2011, 0:43

The whole ‘I’m a modern day Senna’ is one of the main reasons why i cant stand Hamilton. I know he’s a good driver and all that jazz but i cant stand the man.

Comparing yourself to your hero’s and trying to emulate them…children have a name for that; ‘play time’

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 30th March 2011, 1:00

Yeah, I was really warming to Hamilton then he had to go and call himself Senna. His comment about Vettel was pretty insulting as well (probably by design). I’d love to see Rosberg or Schumacher up there with Vettel thrashing the McLarens and Ferraris this year.

• Hamish said on 30th March 2011, 1:06

Exactly, Lewis is really outdoing himself with stupid comments these days.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 30th March 2011, 1:08

I think my eyes rolled so far I can see my brain…

I await your use of an actual quote where Hamilton says he is the new Senna or as good as him. Don’t take too long, I have to go on holiday in 3 weeks.

• luigismen said on 30th March 2011, 1:10

I don’t think he’s comparing himself with senna, I think it’s that he is comparing his rivalry with Alonso as the Prost vs Senna thing, not hat Alonso is Prost an he is Senna

He said “I see him as my Prost, if we were [Alain] Prost and [Ayrton] Senna.”

That’s how I see it

• Kodongo (@kodongo) said on 30th March 2011, 3:15

If you took the time to read the article, he was comparing his rivalry with Alonso to being a modern day equivalent of Senna-Prost. Nowhere did he say “I am Senna” but rather in this hypothetical equivalency, he would be more like his Brazilian idol than the mercurial Frenchman.

I have heard Seb talking about challenging Schumi’s 7 world titles. But I know the difference between the conditional, i.e. it would be great… and the present… I am the greatest.

If you draw conclusions without reading the article then don’t be surprised if you’re very wide of the mark.

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 30th March 2011, 3:19

@Icthyes: Stay that way for the next three weeks (kidding)

If he’d stop saying stuff about Senna every couple of weeks, probably people would stop aswell. Compared to Senna, Hamilton is a nice boy. Alonso seems closer to Prost AND Senna than Hamilton considering their ruthessness and no compromise way of working towards success which is fine for people like them and (vintage) Schumacher and such (makes them sometimes look like giant a-holes when rose tinted glasses are being taken off but I quite enjoy those characters). It remains to be hoped Hamilton won’t become that way.

And if there was a driver he could choose to be, why wouldn’t he pick Lewis Hamilton?

(its 4 in the morning so, people, don’t always take everything I say with a pinch of salt)

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 30th March 2011, 3:25

I did read the article, and while it’s perfectly plausible that it’s not how he intended it to sound, he does insinuate that he’s the modern day Senna. If he were simply speaking of the rivalry, he could have worded it very differently without that insinuation.

• Maciek said on 30th March 2011, 7:48

He says that if he were asked to choose who he would want to be he would definitely say Senna. What’s wrong with that? You know, most successful people in sports (or elsewhere in life, too) model themselves after someone they emulate. F1 drivers get asked god knows how many hundreds of questions about themselves – it’s unfair to dump on them when their answers seem a bit self-involved.

• Adrian J (@adrian-j) said on 31st March 2011, 8:44

Senna: One of the fastest drivers of his generation, most notably associated with McLaren who often was often a “love him or loath him” character.

Hamilton: One of the fastest drivers of his generation, most notably associated with McLaren who often was often a “love him or loath him” character.

…is one way of looking at it. ;-

• ads said on 30th March 2011, 3:41

oh dear god, posters on planet f1 are already spewing out this rubbish and now people here start too! Hamilton is not comparing himself to Senna- he has himself admitted that Senna was something else altogether- he is merely saying that he considers Alonso to be his nemesis in the way that Prost was to Senna.

He does not make comparisons in skill, character or ability, nor does he advertise himself as a modern day Senna. What he does advertise is that he would LIKE to be a modern day Senna- Senna is his hero. Lewis has self-belief which often others perceive to be arrogance, failing to realise that his self-belief is the product of beating everyone their is to beat in his short career. Alonso recently stated in an interview that Hamilton is the fastest driver on the grid, adding further proof that his confidence is entirely credible.

The only thing i think Hamilton is guilty of is a little naivety in his failure to recognise that a lot of what he says can easily be misconstrued, particularly by those with an agenda focused on his humiliation. I have seen many quotes of his twisted and reproduced over the internet, ignoring the context in which they were made, and the manner in which they were given. You only have to look at primary sources to see that Hamilton is a genuinely chilled out guy who is just loving life and trying to be the best. Lewis tends to be like marmite, and therefore many secondary and tertiary sources tend to manipulate his words to fit their manufactured stereotype of a spoilt, privileged brat who is unconditionally convinced he is the best thing to ever happen to F1, pandering to a typically sadistic audience who cant seem to stand seeing the kid succeed (A number of these jealous and petty individuals seem to have a penchant for the colour red).

I make no bones about it, I am a “Hamilton fan boy”, but probably only because I judge him off primary sources and talent, rather than jealousy and warped secondary views. Yes, he does have a habit of talking without thinking, but only because when you strip what he says right down, what he has ‘actually’ said is innocent and honest. Its like the whole Red Bull soft drinks company thing again- Lewis wasn’t being derogatory (as many haters gleefully interpreted), he simply said that as they were not a pedigree manufacturer, he did not know what their long term plans in the sport were, and that whilst they were in the sport he believed that the proven might of McLaren and Ferrari would be able to react to their current domination. People need to read what he actually says, rather than what they want him to say! Gonna stop, ive gone on far, far too long, but it just pees me off how his words continually get warped and he continually gets jumped upon.

• Sam said on 30th March 2011, 3:49

+ 10 million. Couldn’t have said it better myself. And US_Peter, who are you trying to fool, ruminating about ‘beginning to warm to him..’ Thats a load of you-know-what, if you were to judge the quote objectively you would find that what he intended to mean was totally different from what you took from it.

• ads said on 30th March 2011, 3:59

cheers Sam, glad someone is as sane as i am ;)

• fordsrule (@fordsrule) said on 30th March 2011, 4:36

Exactly what I would have written! :)

• macca77 said on 30th March 2011, 6:24

The funny part is that Lewis thinks he still is one of the top two drivers in F1 (that had to be the case for him wanting to see Alonso as his Prost), he is more like a Mansell for me right now. Win a 2nd WDCs and maybe you can still try to create a direct rivalry with Alonso. Right now I think Alonso’s main rival is Vettel and obviously that was the case in 2010. BTW, Vettel has a bigger chance to win a 2 WDC than Lewis, so Vettel is the real modern Senna.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 30th March 2011, 7:34

Yeah he does think a lot of himself, first he has a condescending tone on how Red Bull is just a drinks company, and how Seb is nothing without his car. The he becomes he self proclaimed new loved by all legend – Senna, making Alonso the eternal villain – Prost.

I think Hamilton has head stuck way up his own ***, cannot wait for him to get a good solid beating on track this year by Fernando and the ‘not so worthy’ Seb.

• Maciek said on 30th March 2011, 8:00

@Todfod,

Sorry, but your post is a great example of how to start off with false premises and then build up a whole pattern of ideas that sound logical – except that they have no relation to reality. 1. Hamilton never said “just a drinks company”; 2. who exactly thinks Prost is “the eternal villain”?; and 3. when did Hamilton say Vettel was “not so worthy”?

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 30th March 2011, 9:10

@maciek. Maybe yo need to give the articles another read.

1.He did say that Red Bull didn’t have the racing pedigree of Mclaren, and he doesn’t know how long they will remain dominant as they are just a drinks company. (not a premise… A FACT.. read his quotes to confirm)

2. Lewis always considered Senna as his hero, and in his own head thinks that he is the modern day ‘Senna’, therefore, he tags Alonso as ‘Prost. Not like there is anything wrong with Prost, but Lewis would always want to think of himself as the legend with tremendous amount of skill & adulation of the fans. (Maybe this isn’t a fact.. but it is an awfully indicative of how full of himself he actually is.)

3. The fact that he compares himself and Alonso to Senna & Prost, and compares Vettel to Mansell.. but then goes ahead and says that Vettel is a ‘not as good’ version of Mansell just shows how much he thinks of him. (This is also quoted by him in the last interview… and is also a FACT and not a premise)

I think you need a better check on reality before offering advice to others.

• Maciek said on 30th March 2011, 10:38

@Todfod,

I’m glad you’ve posted this, because when I compare your original statements to what you’ve just objectively reported here, it’s fairly obvious that your first post was a one-sided exaggeration of what Hamilton is reported to have said – no? All the statements you’ve just mentioned are not nearly as inflammatory as what you suggested earlier.

• John H said on 30th March 2011, 11:11

Nice one ads. I think it’s definitely marmite though as you say, the people who are listening don’t want to and the ones that do already know.

• Hamish said on 30th March 2011, 11:31

@ Maciek

Todman is pretty much bang on the money. I don’t know whether to blame Lewis himself or Simon Fuller for these stupid comments.

That said, when you were the one responsible for bringing Earth Dreams to F1 you can really only go one way.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 30th March 2011, 17:28

Lots of arguing over semantics here. He said what he said.

• Adrian J (@adrian-j) said on 31st March 2011, 8:58

Yet all of that IS true, Red Bull is a drinks company and their sports activities is a (albeit very successful) marketing exercise – there is no guarantee they’ll stick around if the results stop coming. I don’t think you could say that about Ferrari or McLaren, both of whom exist primarily to race.

So what, he’s a very successful racing driver – who I might add has to take a lot of stick from the press and certain sections of the F1 fanbase – if he didn’t have the level of self-belief he has then I don’t think he’d have gotten to where he is. I would be very surprised if Alonso, Vettel, Schumacher et al all had the same level of self-belief.

And I would like to say how lucky you are to have spent so much time in a 1-to-1 situation with Lewis Hamilton, as surely that is the only way you could have reached this conclusion – I mean you wouldn’t base your opinion of someone purely on what you see in the press, would you?

Okay firstly, what is wrong with Mansell? But for a little more luck he could have been a 3 times world champion.

Secondly, I would support anyone who says that Vettel isn’t on the same level as Hamilton and Alonso. He has shown consistantly in the last 2 years that he struggles to win when he’s not starting on pole – and he did have the best car last season by some margin and still only just managed to get the title. Can you honestly see Alonso making such hard work of it?

Thirdly, are you familiar with sports psychology? Vettel is Hamilton’s competitor, Hamilton knows that Vettel has a stronger car and so is trying to give himself a psychological edge…it’s only the same as what boxers do before a prize fight.

I think you need a better check on reality before offering advice to others.

I think that is very good advice that you should take yourself.

• There’s one problem with all of this. Prost wasn’t the villain. Senna was.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 31st March 2011, 14:57

@Adrian J. I dont think Lewis needed to give his expert opinion on the racing pedigree and future plans of Red Bull, nor did he have to give the current drivers on the grid his own ‘legend labels’, and he didn’t need to tell the press that Vettel is a lower rated version of Mansell. If he makes statements like these he is going to get criticism from people, its a part and parcel of making stupid statements to the press.

We can go on arguing about this for ages… but I’m tired. So I’m going to agree with you by saying that he just said what he said in absolute honesty and humility.

• LuvinF1 said on 30th March 2011, 20:15

I think you should get off your high horse and read the damn article again. Hamilton says, “If you were to say ‘choose a driver’ that I would like to be, I would clearly choose Ayrton.”

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 30th March 2011, 6:56

I agree, Happy Birthday Lee.

And Kimi, are you sure about this?

My first thought on it was, that Kimi realized he was not going to win any WRC soon and money was running out so why not try NASCAR?

I would have loved him to show the Indy field a nice drive instead. Its cheaper than Nascar and has more road courses.

3. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 30th March 2011, 0:18

That BBC article on Red Bull is pretty interesting. I wonder if they’re right about how hard it is on tires and that be the true reason they didn’t run KERS in Melbourne. If they don’t get on top of that other teams will be beating them in some races on pit strategy, making fewer stops. Sounds like they need some pointers from Sauber, if Sauber can even figure out how Perez did his miracle 1 stopper.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 30th March 2011, 14:21

Did anyone watching on TV notice Perez overtaking Vettel to unlap himself? A small cheer went up around the circuit when it happened, and I found myself chuckling too!

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 30th March 2011, 15:03

I didn’t and I wish I had.

• US _Peter said on 30th March 2011, 17:31

I didn’t notice that, and watched the race twice. I’ll have to watch again and see if SPEED made any mention of it.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 31st March 2011, 1:32

Perhaps it wasn’t shown on TV. It wasn’t on the super-screen, but every time they came past, Perez was getting closer to the back of Vettel before on one lap, he was ahead! :P

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 31st March 2011, 6:56

I think he was shown on TV to be close behind Vettel and he surely did get past as he crossed the line in front of Vettel.

But I don’t think they actually showed how Perez got past.

• foocode (@foocode) said on 31st March 2011, 8:50

I saw him, it was on corner 11. At the time I thought it was Button taking Webber!

The Saubers and Maccas aren’t entirely dissimilar at speed.

• Enigma (@enigma) said on 31st March 2011, 8:18

I know he was doing the fastest lap of anybody after he changed to softs, so must’ve happened then I guess. Too bad we didn’t see it.

• Adrian J (@adrian-j) said on 31st March 2011, 10:06

I would assume that Vettel was taking care of his tyres and wasn’t too bothered about someone unlapping themselves…though he might have been a bit miffed about them setting a fastest lap as I understand he likes to go for the hattrick (Pole, FL & Win)

• Enigma (@enigma) said on 31st March 2011, 13:57

Checked again and on the lap Vettel pitted, Perez overtook him. It was at the fourth to last corner (the one where Hamilton and Webber crashed last year). Perez was stuck behind Vettel a long time, both on softs, but Perez on fresher set. Vettel started struggling with the tyres, and Perez took him down there, Vettel didn’t really fight much as he knew Perez wasn’t a contender.

It was un-lapping too, Vettel was a lap ahead at that point.

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 30th March 2011, 0:20

Gotta say i’m a little disappointed in Kimi, he should stick to rallying, or at least give it a fairer shot. He had a good weekend and so far is a major improvement on last year. However, this could all be hot air so let’s wait and see.

And I think Lewis is talking out of his backside.

5. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 30th March 2011, 0:23

Oh man people are going to bitch about that Hamilton quote. But I see this is very light hearted, a bit of fun, and probably people will get the wrong impression seeing it written down like that.

Seems Kimi is wanting to experience a bit of everything in his racing career. Which is admirable, a shame still though as it’s now even more unlikely he’ll return to the sport we all love.

6. Lee Harrison (@lee-harrison) said on 30th March 2011, 0:29

Thanks Keith!

Also, Hamilton needs to stop it with this Senna stuff, be your own man for crying out loud!

7. sato113 (@sato113) said on 30th March 2011, 0:30

from watching the onboard version of the race, I saw a plastic bag on Hamilton’s front wing! would this have hindered car performance at all?

8. Andy Carr said on 30th March 2011, 0:34

I don’t know why Mark does this, but I have noticed it quite a few times now. When speaking to unfamiliar people in the Media, he speaks in very short sentences; and speaks as if he is speaking to someone from a far off land that doesn’t speak a word of English. Very strange.

• Pinball said on 30th March 2011, 4:35

Yeah I have noticed it too. In this video the way he was speaking was almost as if English is his second language, kind of reminds me of how Valentino Rossi or some of the other Moto GP riders who speak English as second, or third language speak English.

Maybe he is purposely trying to speak slower to give the journalists who speak English as a second language a better chance of understanding him.

One thing I have realised having seen guys like Hamilton and Alonso interacting with fans at the Australian Grand Prix, is that without media around they are a lot more friendly than they come across in interviews. Maybe drivers are so afraid of saying anything to the media, in case the media takes the comment out of hand, like everyone is with the Hamilton / Senna comment.

• dragon said on 31st March 2011, 2:58

He naturally has a very strong Australian accent; I don’t know if he’s been told to try ‘tone it down’ for the sake of being understood, although I think it’s ridculous, if anything he sounds like a South African who doesn’t really know English all that well.

9. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 30th March 2011, 0:35

love ‘em or hate ‘em, those 1974 cars are FUNKY

10. David-A (@david-a) said on 30th March 2011, 0:40

I was truly stunted by his performance

Hopefully you’ll re-grow Mateuss! :D

11. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 30th March 2011, 0:47

The BBC article…yes, it is possible that Red Bull really do have that speed in hand. It’s also very possible it was a) exaggerated in Australia and/or b) won’t be there come Malaysia.

The experts should have learned last year from taking the first race at face value and applying it to future ones. Can we just see before we bow down before the might Newey and blow all our savings on another Red Bull championship?

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 30th March 2011, 1:05

Pretty interesting what Hamilton has to say about Vettel though. The new Mansell…I suppose in this scenario that’s the role he’d fit into. I mean, if you compare Hamilton and Vettel, they share the same qualities whereas Alonso is a different breed; Senna and Mansell were more similar to each other than they were to Prost.

And a nice bit of mind-games to boot too – you know, that thing people were praising Horner for at the weekend ;)

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 30th March 2011, 4:02

If Hamilton is Senna, Vettel is Mansell, Alonso is Prost…what about Button? Piquet? Oh no…

well, I think Hamilton is Senna, but I should place Button to Prost’s place.(although I don’t rate him as much as Prost). then Vettel to Hakkinen(well, he’s much trouble maker than Hakkinen though), Alonso to Schumacher, Webber to Mansell…Massa to Piquet?

Well, I’m just kiding. Hamilton is not anyone else. Others are all the same. I understand why people want to link themself to legend but it’s useless.

• McLarenFanJamm said on 30th March 2011, 8:55

Please find the part where Lewis says “I AM Senna”… any time, I’m waiting… no? thought not.

It’s both funny and frustrating seeing people twist Lewis’ words to fit their own agendas. If this was any other driver on the grid, nobody would question it, but because it’s Lewis, people react like he’s just driven over their 10 week old puppy.

The closest he gets is saying that if someone gave him the choice, he would like to be Senna. It’s hypothetical.

• Hamish said on 30th March 2011, 11:37

Hahahaha. Clearly you haven’t seen the FIA gala video from a few years back then.

12. Michael Griffin said on 30th March 2011, 0:52

That COTD has made me say the following:

Sergio Perez will be a world champion.

13. joac21 (@joac21) said on 30th March 2011, 1:03

seeing petrov on the podium made kimi regret not looking for that renault seat. now he wants some tarmac racing

• Poul said on 30th March 2011, 2:49

My thought exactly!! To think that he basically had a chance of both those Renault seats but opted for Nascar?!?

To me racing is about breaking balance, apex precision, acceleration timing and alternate race line overtaking. Since none of the above apply to Nascar I cannot consider it racing at all!

The cars statically go around at a constant speed and if it wasn’t for the tarmac sliding swiftly along beneath them it would be exactly like watching a turtle race!!

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 30th March 2011, 3:45

That’s the best summation of NASCAR I’ve ever read.

• justhuman (@justhuman) said on 30th March 2011, 4:12

Right on, Poul! Well stated.

• xmurrx said on 30th March 2011, 5:46

actually you described exactly what NASCAR requires.

Braking Balance: At most tracks, Determining where and how to brake is a crucial part of being quick.

Apex Precision: Hitting the Apex on an oval is even more crucial than on a road course because an oval is all about momentum

Acceleration Timing: Being able to accelerate from mid corner off before anyone else is exactly what makes you fast in NASCAR because once again it is all about keeping your momentum up.

Alternate race line overtaking: This is actually the only was to pass in NASACR. You can try the high side of the corner, but you will be slow in the center of the corner through the apex and faster down the straight. If you go low and take an early apex, you will be quick in the corner but slow on the straight.

Don’t knock and criticize something you obviously know anything about. Its a lot more challenging that what meets the eye. People complain that its just going in circles, and only left turns. Does it matter? F1 goes in a circle too, they end up in the same place they started, they just happened to make some right turns along the way. It is most definitely racing.

• xbx-117 (@xbx-117) said on 30th March 2011, 6:19

Thank you, sheesh, I won’t deny that Nascar doesn’t have its share of faults, because it most certainly does, but the amount of venomous hate directed towards it just doesn’t make sense to me.

Do I wish there were more road courses? Yes. Do I wish the races were shorter? Yes. Do I wish the cars had more modern technology? (fuel injection, come on) Yes. Do I wish the cars more accurately resembled the “stock cars” they are based off of? Yes. Do I still enjoy NASCAR? Yes.

There is not a single form of racing out there that does not have boring races, bad drivers, inane rules, and any number of grievances that could be brought up. I was almost put to sleep by a MotoGP race last year, and F1 in Abu Dhabi was not the greatest thing I’ve ever seen, but I don’t condemn these sports for not being amazing every single time I view them. I still love them.

I may be getting off point here, but what I’m trying to say is I love racing, of all kind. As long as its fast, I’ll watch it, and NASCAR fills a different niche in the racing world. Oval tracks are not found very often in most racing venues, and they are a thrill to watch at times from the great Daytona to the little Bristol track.

I’m not demanding that everyone enjoy NASCAR, I’m not even asking that everyone even really like it, all I would like is if people would stop saying it takes no skill and is not even racing. The simple fact that so many drivers from other forms of racing have given it a shot should be enough evidence that the sport is challenging/intriguing enough for even those who have driven the best. Its different, that doesn’t make it wrong.

• Poul said on 31st March 2011, 16:53

Everything Nascar requires…. but in very limited amounts compared to diverse track racing! You have only a single corner layout to concern your apex precision with and never, ever a diverse series of corners at which perfection in one impacts the next and so forth. Braking and acceleration is minimal since top and max speeds vary only slightly. I really don’t see any alternate race line overtaking as it seems to happen fully outside or fully inside or by line changes during the corner – and as you say – is just a matter of momentum.

Sure, let’s call it racing. Just like Bieber qualify as “music” while I require my music to have diversity like Coltrane, Forbidden and Rachmaninov.

14. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 30th March 2011, 1:10

NASCAR: international refuge for wayward drivers

15. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 30th March 2011, 1:14

Anyone going to actually read the article?

I see him as my Prost, if we were [Alain] Prost and [Aryton] Senna. If you were to say ‘choose a driver’ [that I would like to be] I would clearly choose Ayrton. And maybe I would put him as Prost.

My emphasis of course. I’m probably boring the pants off of everyone with this stuff but can we concentrate on stuff that’s actually true?

• Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 30th March 2011, 1:52

Truth: Keith is not actually a human, but a robot designed by a group of F1 fans by the 80’s and does not need to sleep, eat or drink AND can continue to operate 24/7 off of an odd perpetual motion machine involving a solar panel and a computer monitor.

• phildick (@phildick) said on 30th March 2011, 10:14

Well, it still doesn’t make me like Hamilton more or think he’s much more than a modern commercial product, kind of Beckham style doll.

Of course almost every driver (maybe Prost apart) asked about his favourite driver would choose Senna. So that’s simply unoriginal and not worth mentioning.

But what’s interesting and annoying in this is comparing Alonso to Prost. So Hamilton himself is the good guy and Alonso is the bad one, Darth Vader to Hamilton’s Luke. First the ‘drinks company’, now this. So who’s next? Is he now going to throw veiled affront at Schumacher now? Who’s his next target?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th March 2011, 10:18

Is he now going to throw veiled affront at Schumacher now?

He did that last year:

Lewis Hamilton doesn’t want Michael Schumacher’s “tainted” legacy

• The insinuation that Prost equals the bad guy is in your head only – just because you interpret something one way, it doesn’t mean the speaker meant it. Hamilton may well have just meant that Prost was always there to challenge Senna, and was a different kind of driver – he was the only one who got consistently close to him, although Mansell did some years (hence him bringing Vettel in as the Mansell of the theoretical group).

If someone is asked a question it is stupid to criticise them for answering it honestly, as if they brought it up without prompting.

But hey, I’m probably wasting my time; the Hamilton haters aren’t going to bother reading something properly in case it doesn’t give them ammunition to rant about him, or they will purposely misunderstand it and then get angry about something that exists only in their head.

I stopped reading Planet-f1 because of the comments like these, I think I might have to stop reading the ones here too. Apologies if I am being melodramatic!

• phildick (@phildick) said on 30th March 2011, 14:24

You don’t know what’s in Hamilton’s heart, either. But I think I can criticize what he says, regardless of the question being stupid or not.

And bearing in mind that your suggestion might just not been directed to me, but I have to write that I’m not an Hamilton hater nor ‘write driver name here’ hater. I don’t hate people unless they are true atrocious monsters, and I don’t understand how one can hate an F1 driver. I feel pity for those who do so.

• I know that I don’t know what is in Hamilton’s heart – I said:

“Hamilton may well have just meant that Prost was always there to challenge Senna…”

I wasn’t claiming to know what he was thinking, just what my interpretation is.

Of course you can criticise his words, but your criticism was:

“So Hamilton himself is the good guy and Alonso is the bad one, Darth Vader to Hamilton’s Luke.”

You aren’t criticising his words because he never said he was the “good guy” to Alonso’s “Darth Vader”, you are criticising what you have concluded the words mean.

Yes, using the word ‘hater’ was lazy and excessive for a sporting blog comment post, but I took your reference to Hamilton of being a ‘Beckham style doll’ to suggest a certain dislike and dismissiveness of a former world champion, and I used it as a quicker way of saying that.

1 2 3 4