What the best dressed drivers are wearing: Helmets of 2011

F1 pictures

They can withstand 800C temperatures and if you accidentally park a tank on one they won’t so much as crack.

They also come in a range of pretty colours. See what the drivers of 2011 have done with their helmet designs:

Sebastian Vettel

Timo Glock

Timo Glock, Virgin, Helmet, 2011

Timo Glock, Virgin, Helmet, 2011

Jerome d’Ambrosio

Jerome d'Ambrosio, Helmet, 2011

Jerome d'Ambrosio, Helmet, 2011

Got a favourite? Vote for which driver’s helmet design you most prefer:

Which F1 helmet design do you like best?

• Sebastian Vettel (7%)
  • Mark Webber (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (13%)
  • Jenson Button (7%)
  • Fernando Alonso (6%)
  • Felipe Massa (4%)
  • Michael Schumacher (8%)
  • Nico Rosberg (3%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (13%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (4%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (3%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (1%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (6%)
  • Sergio Perez (1%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (0%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (2%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (9%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (5%)
  • Timo Glock (2%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (4%)

Total Voters: 490

Loading ... Loading ...

2011 F1 helmets – more pictures

Some more angles on the helmets of 2011:

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Renault/LAT, Williams/LAT, McLaren, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India F1 Team, Sauber F1 Team, Team Lotus, Virgin Racing, Motioncompany

194 comments on What the best dressed drivers are wearing: Helmets of 2011

1. Witsinfr (@witsinfr) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:31

Hmm Liuzzi for me – funny how he has port and starboard colours so at least you’ll easily know when he’s looking forward.

2. butterdori (@butterdori) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:34

Vettel and Heidfeld for me

Petrov’s Russian flag inspired helmet looks good too

3. alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:35

Still love the DJ on the back of Hamilton’s (along with his surname as a new extra by the looks of it)

But I also like those of Button, Alonso, Petrov, Barrichello, Maldonado, Di Resta, Kobayashi, Perez, Kovalainen, Trulli and D’Ambrosio.

4. infy (@infy) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:51

<3 Alonso's. Great colours.

After Lewis's comments about him being Senna and now seeing how much alike his helmet is to Senna's, it just infuriates me.

• It’s just coincidence that his helmet is similar to Senna’s. I think the colours were chosen because they were bright so his dad could spot him easily back in his karting days.

• Dougie (@f1droid) said on 2nd April 2011, 20:48

Yeah, I heard that also that it was easier for his Dad to keep tabs on him.

But, even if there was Senna links in his helmet, I think Hamilton’s Helmet is more “inspired” by Senna rather than just “copying”.

• Hare (@hare) said on 2nd April 2011, 20:49

.. and also, he really like Lego :)

• Damon said on 2nd April 2011, 14:06

I feel the same, senna is nowhere near good enough to ever wear the same colours as lewis

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 2nd April 2011, 20:07

how much alike his helmet is to Senna’s

Aside from the fact that they’re both predominantly yellow they haven’t got anything in common at all:

Not the first time it’s occurred to me that some people are rather eager to have a go at Hamilton over the slightest little thing.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 2nd April 2011, 20:16

How can you have a go at someone for having a huge passion for Formula One and Ayrton Senna?

Personally I like to see an F1 driver who has been a fan of the sport and influenced by a driver from the past.

It’s not even copied from him and even if it was I never heard people saying Jean Alesi thinks he’s Elio De Angelis or others who have had tribute helmets.

• I always assumed Hamilton’s helmet was yellow as a tribute to Senna, his hero! But it was merely an assumption, I admit.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 2nd April 2011, 21:16

Did people use to complain about Jean Alesi saying “That Jean Alesi thinks he’s Elio De Angelis” or did they respect him for paying tribute to one of his heroes?

• cubejam (@cubejam) said on 2nd April 2011, 20:14

Agreed. The whole “I’m as brilliant as senna, I’m amazing, I’m the next senna” crap makes me rage.

• David5 said on 2nd April 2011, 20:24

@cubejam Maybe if you learn how to read english you would know he didn’t say he was as brilliant as Senna. Lewis has Senna as his hero and WOULD LIKE TO BE like him. There’s nothing wrong having goal in your life. Some people should do so rather than spending 24 hours bashing successful sportmen in internet.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 2nd April 2011, 20:25

“I’m as brilliant as senna, I’m amazing, I’m the next senna”

Yes because Hamilton has certainly said that. Please find that quote for me, I’d love to read that article.

I don’t see anyone moaning at Vettel for idolising Schumacher or Button for idolising Prost.

It’s just another ridiculous excuse to dislike Hamilton no matter what he does.

• Mr.Zing Zang said on 2nd April 2011, 23:53

Haters gonna hate..

• Damon said on 5th April 2011, 9:09

True mate Lewis is a better driver than senna ever was

5. SennaNmbr1 (@) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:52

Petrov. Looks awesome in this year’s car, too.

6. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:53

Do you reckon there would be anyone brave mental enough to actually let a tank drive over their head whilst wearing a helmet? :P

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 3rd April 2011, 1:02

Haha I’ve thought about that before! They should get a mannequin or something just as a demonstration/PR stunt. It would be awesome! They could put a little camera in the helmet to show what it would be like to have your head run over by a tank… :P

7. Hare (@hare) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:54

I like Kamui’s and Sutils.. Although Sutil’s one kind of loses impact when you see ‘Capri Sun’ written down the side of it.

I also like the look of Perez helmet, which looks like he was driving as they were applying the paint.

8. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 2nd April 2011, 12:59

I like Heidfeld’s and Rosberg’s. I guess Germans have quite a taste when it comes to helmets.

9. TMFOX said on 2nd April 2011, 13:01

Nice to see that Barrichello has more or less stuck with the same design for the last 19 years. Have we ever done a feature on how F1 drivers have changed their designs over the years?

10. Nigelstash (@nigelstash) said on 2nd April 2011, 13:14

Heidfeld = Darth Vader. His car was about as quick as the Death Star last week.

11. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 2nd April 2011, 13:18

he most estheatically pleasing helmet designs for me would be Rosberg’s, Heidfeld’s and Petrov’s. Well designed and the color combinations work.

I don’t care much for the dated designs of Barichello’s, Trulli’s and Perez’s helmets.

The abolute worst design has to be Liuzzi’s. From both sides. Geez.

I think, above all, helmets should help recognize the driver. As such Hamilton’s, Heidfeld’s, Rosbergs and Schumacher’s helmets work really well.

All the non-distinct Red Bull designs are obviously the most useless in this regard.

12. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 2nd April 2011, 13:20

There are loads of great lids this season, probably only Sutil letting the side down…agsin.

13. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 2nd April 2011, 13:24

I voted for lewis. I love how he has it as a tribute/mark of respect to senna and also its not as ‘busy’ as most of the others. Also Lewis has pretty much stuck to the same design since starting in F1.. even then its only been ‘modernised’ since his earlier days. unlike a lot of the other drivers who change their design every-other race. Vettel being Top of that list haha :)

As brundle said ‘A helmet design is supposed to be a trademark to a Driver and shouldnt be changed all the time’ ..or something along those lines :)

• Actually (I think I just said on a previous page but I msised your comment sorry!) it isn’t specifically a tribute to Senna but he chose yellow as it was bright so his dad could find him easily when he was karting I think.

I agree that driver’s shouldn’t change their helmets much. When people think of Senna they think of the gold helmet poking out of the black/gold Lotus. It’s iconic and is part of his identity. Designs really help set drivers apart.

• nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 2nd April 2011, 15:56

yeah your right about the Karting comment :) but he also could have another yellow design. this is like his own take on senna’s design. i’ll try and find some old pics of Lewis. his helmet was much more ‘senna’ back then :)

• Ads21 (@ads21) said on 2nd April 2011, 13:50

Yer I completely agree with the trademark design comment. I want helmets to be distinctive with each driver and to stay pretty much the same over the course of the his career. Hamilton’s is great for that, as is Massa’s, Barrichello’s. The same goes for Alonso whose helmet for the last two years have been pretty much the same as his ’06 helmet which itself was a variation of the helmet he used from karting to 2005. Broadly speaking I always prefer simple designs which drivers stick with.

Vettel’s changes virtually every race which really annoys me, thankfully Webber’s is consistent so we can tell the difference between the two Red Bulls.

14. box this lap (@sebashuis) said on 2nd April 2011, 13:25

reminds me of Eddie Irvine. He had a great design when he was driving for Jaguar, now it’s hard to choose.

15. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 2nd April 2011, 13:50

Gotta say Heikki, love the matt finish.

16. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 2nd April 2011, 13:53

The Red Bull/STR ones are frankly hideous! It’s disappointing how much sponsors take up the helmets nowadays but with these ones it seems like the design is secondary to the sponsor.

I really don’t like the messy-complicated ones like Alonso’s either. Much prefer Schumacher’s and Rosberg’s.

But in the end I went for Nick’s. Completely designed for the car he’s driving but nice all the same.

17. kateafan said on 2nd April 2011, 13:53

Perez’s “super hero” motif is worth a vote!
    Also like Webber and Button’s patriotic and classic designs. Petrov’s ripped flag, Liuzzi’s distinctive style.
    Over all though, Alguersuari’s is very stylish!
    Not liking Sutil’s and di Resta’s messy lids.

18. brxtr (@broxter) said on 2nd April 2011, 14:02

I’m amazed by how many people assume Lewis Hamilton’s yellow is a tribute to Aryton Senna…

He has always raced with a yellow helmet, originally so that his father could tell which kart Lewis was driving back in his karting days.

• nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 2nd April 2011, 15:58

yeah your right about the Karting comment but he also could have another yellow design. this is like his own take on senna’s design. i’ll try and find some old pics of Lewis. his helmet was much more ‘senna’ back then :)

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 2nd April 2011, 16:37

Even the ribbons were from the old days, they were just changed and moved, partly because the original ones were a bit naff (according to Lewis) and also the white ring and sponsors had to be accommodated.

There is nothing in his Helmet to do with Senna. I could be wrong but the green and red might have something to do with Grenada, where Anthony Hamilton’s parents came from. Not sure about the blue though.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 2nd April 2011, 20:11

Hamilton’s dad just said that to get rid of the “Hamilton is trying to be the new Senna” whining from the haters.

Look at the designs side by side (especially Hamilton’s older designs). A yellow helmet with a blue band around the bottom and green band along the top. It’s almost identical!

There is no way I’m gonna buy his claim that it wasn’t based on Senna’s design.

19. BS (@bs) said on 2nd April 2011, 14:12

I think Hamilton’s helmet is the best looking one. The Colours are stylish , the design is clean and reads very well from afar, but is detailed enough to be interesting up close.

Most of the other helmets are poorly designed, too detailed, have oversaturated colours and neither read well from a distance nor from up close.

Granted, I am a sucker for clean design. :)

20. raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 2nd April 2011, 14:19

Alonso’s and Hamilton’s helmets are very similar in terms of color scheme for drivers who claim to be bitter rivals