What the best dressed drivers are wearing: Helmets of 2011

F1 pictures

They can withstand 800C temperatures and if you accidentally park a tank on one they won’t so much as crack.

They also come in a range of pretty colours. See what the drivers of 2011 have done with their helmet designs:

Sebastian Vettel

Timo Glock

Timo Glock, Virgin, Helmet, 2011

Timo Glock, Virgin, Helmet, 2011

Jerome d’Ambrosio

Jerome d'Ambrosio, Helmet, 2011

Jerome d'Ambrosio, Helmet, 2011

Got a favourite? Vote for which driver’s helmet design you most prefer:

Which F1 helmet design do you like best?

• Sebastian Vettel (7%)
  • Mark Webber (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (13%)
  • Jenson Button (7%)
  • Fernando Alonso (6%)
  • Felipe Massa (4%)
  • Michael Schumacher (8%)
  • Nico Rosberg (3%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (13%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (4%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (3%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (1%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (6%)
  • Sergio Perez (1%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (0%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (2%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (9%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (5%)
  • Timo Glock (2%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (4%)

Total Voters: 490

Loading ... Loading ...

2011 F1 helmets – more pictures

Some more angles on the helmets of 2011:

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Renault/LAT, Williams/LAT, McLaren, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India F1 Team, Sauber F1 Team, Team Lotus, Virgin Racing, Motioncompany

194 comments on What the best dressed drivers are wearing: Helmets of 2011

1. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 2nd April 2011, 14:26

Gotta be Schumacher’s for me, it hasn’t got as much going on as the other ones, there are some brilliant ones out there, but I think it just looks brilliant against the car, Rosberg’s too!

2. Yoshisune (@yobo01) said on 2nd April 2011, 14:43

Heidefeld’s helmet is the best in my opinion. It’s perfect for his car. I like Petrov’s helmet too, but the Lotus logo ruins it a bit. Vettel’s is really cool, I like its sparkling design.

3. Eggry (@eggry) said on 2nd April 2011, 14:46

Vettel : I’ve never liked Vettel’s helmet.

Webber : I think Webber’s helmet is more Redbullish. but it does not reflect his character.

Hamilton : I know his Seena fandom but I don’t blame it.

Button : Typical British driver’s helmet.

Alonso : I liked last year’s much more. barcode is much better than insanely big logo.

Massa : Green…and blue…whatelse?

Schumacher : Red. It’s more definite than he was in Ferrari.

Rosbers : Mercedes-like design. I love yellow color.

Heidfeld : almost totally black+gold+red. JPS style?

Petrov : Russian flag style. I like it.

Rest : I don’t care much.

Best : Schumacher’s without Monster. Alonso’s without silly Scuderia Ferrari Malboro logo.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 2nd April 2011, 20:55

Webber’s always had blue red and yellow colours.

Also Button’s helmet is only typically British in which he based the designed loosely on the union jack. A lot of the other driver use their own nationalities flags…

4. TMAX said on 2nd April 2011, 15:16

With all honesty looking at the results the Voting does not seemed to be based on the best helmet but rather on the favorite driver. With due respect the comments also seem to talk more about the drivers rather than voting for the helmet.

Keith Maybe you should have placed the helmets without the driver names. The results could have been slightly better. Though some of them are obvious many others would still have a chance.

5. Alex Bkk said on 2nd April 2011, 15:32

The paint on the helmets are crap to be honest. It’s only because you know a teams livery that you can spot a driver because the other driver has a crap helmet paint job of a different shade, at least that’s how it looks on TV.

The best helmets of the last billion years of F1 are, Jackie Stewart’s, Damon Hill’s, Eddie Irvine’s, Ayrton Senna’s, Michael Schumacher’s and Lewis Hamilton’s.

Sorry but all the kiddy graphics put me off. I really hate when a driver changes his helmet.

6. schooner (@schooner) said on 2nd April 2011, 15:39

Barrichello’s lid isn’t getting much love here, but it got my vote. I have always preferred very simple designs, and his looks clean and uncluttered. I understand that modern sponsorship demands make this look hard to accomplish, but to my eye, most helmets these day are too busy looking. I always paint my own motorcycle helmets (good thing I like simple!), and I may even do a variation of his design on my next one. High praise indeed, I know :)

• bosyber said on 2nd April 2011, 17:22

I tend to agree – the simpler designs are also much easier to pick out during a race, which is rather important. I like the thing Mercedes has with Schumacher a red helmet, Nico a yellow, matching their camera’s (wonder how that goes if Nico would win WDC :-p), both looking quite distinctive.

Looking closer, I also like the idea of Alonso’s helmet, and the colour of Kimi’s – but like many others, they are tooo busy (also where Massa’s design is too much for me). Hamilton is on the right side of that, as is Button (but only because the pattern on his is easily recognized).

Oh, d’Ambrosio’s helmet is very good, I think, as is the helmet of Petrov – distinctive and not too cluttered. I chose d’Ambrosio, to encourage him to keep it!

Karthikeyan and Trulli’s helmets look okay, for me, from the side, but aren’t looking great from the front and back for me.

Heidfeld’s design would be quite okay, apart from it being matched to the car. I agree with many other posters, that drivers should strive to keep their helmet design intact when changing teams.

Red Bull helmets fail in this respect of course, and they also are too busy. Webber’s helmet manages to look the most individual (didn’t start with RBR). In a way, what Vettel does, changing it constantly, is maybe the only way to have a unique design, but it doesn’t help recognize him (use track position?).

7. robbiepblake (@driftin) said on 2nd April 2011, 15:47

Kobayashi’s is the most awesome, Sutil’s is definitely the worst.

8. Adrian J (@adrian-j) said on 2nd April 2011, 15:55

The worst 2 in my opinion are Vettel and Buemi’s…come on guys, we know you were rbought up to F1 by the Red Bull Driver Programme, but you don’t have to model your helmet after a can of the stuff…

9. Scudderite (@scudderite) said on 2nd April 2011, 16:07

I have a replica of Lewis’ helmet, signed by him in gold pen, in my office courtesy of my kind boss, and mighty fine it looks too.

10. Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 2nd April 2011, 16:17

isn’t Alonso’s helmet bent inwards at the visor region? like someone punched him on the nose? or am i just seeing it wrong?

• infy (@infy) said on 2nd April 2011, 21:42

The white on the Ferrari logo does make it look like that. Take a look at Massa’s to see his also suffers from the same illusion.

11. McG (@mcg) said on 2nd April 2011, 16:23

It just shows the influence that Hamilton has over people, that they will vote for his helmet to look the best when it’s actually clearly one of the worst.

Mustard yellow with a few stripes haha.

And we all know the Senna connection. Ahh the psychology of it all.

12. I think Kobayashi’s is my favourite.

Much as I don’t like the guy, Massa’s helmet design is very striking. The green and matte black of Heikki’s works well, and the graphite, gold & burgandy of Sutil’s looks classy.

I’m liking Quick Nick’s new matte black and gold lid too.

13. chi-tom (@chi-tom) said on 2nd April 2011, 17:24

I was struck by the simple and focused energy of Vettle’s helmet design – all form has energy. This can only support his strength of will which appears superior to that of his competitors.

14. Shagrathian said on 2nd April 2011, 17:31

I’ll say both Jenson and Alonso.

15. Himmat S. said on 2nd April 2011, 17:34

I think Hamilton’s helmet kind of sucks from that picture. It looks way more awesome in real life…

16. SupaSix-1 said on 2nd April 2011, 17:40

The best ones are without any doubt: Lewis’, Schumacher’s, Heidfeld’s and Massa’s.

17. DaveW said on 2nd April 2011, 17:54

Schumacher’s best because you can tell who is driving the car without being two feet away from it. Button’s comes second. Time was, drivers had strong graphic designs, like Hill, Coulthard, Palmer, Andretti. Now most drivers prefer designs that look like absent-minded doodles in the corner of a school notebook. Fussy, random—leaving aside the sponsorship accomodation, still eye-watering.

Maldonado’s is ghastly. Looks like it was done by a grade school kind with markers.

18. alonsodz said on 2nd April 2011, 17:56

I like Alonso’s n Button’s :D well made ;)

19. Kenny (@kenny) said on 2nd April 2011, 18:07

I heard or read somewhere that Alex Wurz does helmet artwork for some of these guys, and for drivers in other series…can anyone confirm or elaborate on that?

20. melkurion (@melkurion) said on 2nd April 2011, 18:11

They’re all pretty and flashy etc etc…but just one made me think of RACING!, the classical design of Barichello’s helmet :)