2011 Malaysian Grand Prix in pictures

F1 pictures

In the end the rain stayed away and 56 laps of Sepang passed in largely dry conditions.

Check out the pictures from the Malaysian Grand Prix in this gallery.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Renault/LAT, Williams/LAT, McLaren, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India F1 Team, Sauber F1 Team, Team Lotus, Virgin Racing, Motioncompany, Pirelli

36 comments on 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix in pictures

1. f1alex (@f1alex) said on 10th April 2011, 16:01

Great photos as always Keith! :)

2. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 10th April 2011, 16:11

Wow, you can really see the degradation on the tyres there. Particularly in that front-on shot of Glock.

• RIISE (@riise) said on 10th April 2011, 16:25

If I am looking at the same as you are i’m pretty sure he’s just run over all the marbles before he enter the pits after the race.

Beyond the picked up rubber I can’t see much sign of degradation really.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 11th April 2011, 6:21

Yes, I think you’ll find that’s on the cool down lap. A one-lap-old set of tyres would even look like that after the race. :)

3. I really hope someone managed to get a shot of Petrov’s flying lesson

• Midgster said on 10th April 2011, 18:38

You mean this one….

[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff216/stevejmitchell/Petrov.jpg[/IMG]

• Yeah that one, but a higher res would be nice. I imagine it’s unlikely anyone managed to get a shot of it as it was over so quickly though.

4. RIISE (@riise) said on 10th April 2011, 16:27

You’d think they were brothers. Except Vettel’s teeth move when he talks unlike Nick’s which look bolted shut.

5. Midgster said on 10th April 2011, 18:39

Try that again…

6. Yeah flying Petrov picture in HD would be a killer :)

7. box this lap (@sebashuis) said on 10th April 2011, 18:53

Thank you very much for the pictures! They’re the reason how I found F1 Fanatic and they’re also at a nice resolution, still my favorite part of the site because it’s more than my money’s worth!

8. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 10th April 2011, 23:06

That Trulli pitstop shot is fantastic. I love how you can see the reflection of the car above the garage.

9. Romesh82 (@romesh82) said on 11th April 2011, 3:53

as always truly great picks. Specially the headsup of the pitstops.

thanks keith

10. cubejam (@cubejam) said on 11th April 2011, 4:11

Can someone explain to me why Renault had the “1 Malaysia” logo on their front wing mount????

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th April 2011, 7:30

Because 1 Malaysia is the Malaysian government’s tourism initiative and the holding company for Tony Fernandes’ Team Lotus. The Malaysian government doesn’t care about the Lotus-Lotus feud: there’s a Malasyain connection to each, and they are sponsoring both through the 1 Malaysia group.

11. Romesh82 (@romesh82) said on 11th April 2011, 6:22

anyone has an idea about redbulls front wing.. if u closely watch the race/qualifing it almost touches the groung which will give them extra downforce in corners.
    i serously think the FIA should have look at it..

but then again last time they checked and Redbull passed the tests with flying colours.

what concerns me is why cant the others do it (running the frong wing so close to the ground) at least top contenders (Ferrari,Mcleran etc) . it would make things more close.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th April 2011, 8:08

what concerns me is why cant the others do it

Because Red Bull have been very clever in what they have achieved. The other teams just have to figure it out for themselves. Why should Red Bull spill the secrets of their success simply for the sake of the others?

• Midgster said on 11th April 2011, 9:26

I have my theory on the subject – Piezo Electric Damping.

They have been using this technology in skis for years. I’m no expert on the subject, but this is something that could be hidden withing the front wing so would not be apparent unless the whole wing was broken up into bits.

I found a link below explaining the tech in skis below

12. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th April 2011, 7:41

There’s a picture there of Maldonado duelling with a Sauber (though it’s impossible to tell who it is). In the background, there’s a Toro Rosso duelling with the other Sauber, and it looks like they’ve come together. Could this be the incident that took Perez out?

• OEL F1 (@oel-f1) said on 11th April 2011, 8:06

Yellow camera mount on the Sauber; it’s Maldonado vs Perez.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th April 2011, 8:11

I didn’t think of that. There’s also a yelllow on the Toro Rosso, so that means it’s Alguersuari and Kobayashi. Which is odd; we didn’t see that in the broadcast (and since Maldonado is running, it’s obviously early in the race – too early for it to be the incident that took Perez out). I wonder if Kobayashi didn’t take some damage that hamstrung him on the straights. Schumacher was all over him on the long straights, but Kobayashi kept taking the Old Master in the corners.

• OEL F1 (@oel-f1) said on 11th April 2011, 9:10

I’m not too sure there is contact between Alguersuari and Kobayashi, but it’s very difficult to see. Maybe Kobayashi just ran a bit wide there.

13. OEL F1 (@oel-f1) said on 11th April 2011, 8:00

Liuzzi doesn’t drive a Lotus! ;)

14. Electrolite said on 11th April 2011, 12:03

Oh my that podium pic of Vettel with the finger makes me want to punch him.

15. BROOKSY007 (@brooksy007) said on 12th April 2011, 1:36

The renault / lotus front wing seemed to be touching the ground too duuring the race!