Rate the race: 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Malaysian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (3%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (17%)
  • 8 (40%)
  • 9 (24%)
  • 10 (6%)

Total Voters: 556

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Renault/LAT

175 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

1 2 3 5
  1. driftin said on 10th April 2011, 10:45

8/10. Rather exciting race with tonnes of battles going on everywhere and Vettel’s lead constantly under threat. Shame no one properly challenged him for it though.

Is it just me or did the glitch in Alonso’s DRS lead to more exciting racing? If it worked he would’ve easily passed Hamilton and we wouldn’t have seen that amazing battle between the two of them. I thought DRS was brought in to make racing more exciting but it’s gone the opposite way in that instance.

Speaking of Hamilton, just what happened to him? He was doing alright for the first half but when those hard tyres came on during that dreadful pitstop he couldn’t keep up with Button, almost got taken out by Alonso and then lost out to Heidfeld and Webber. Was his car damaged after Alonso’s collision? Massively disappointing race for him. At least Button got on the podium.

Despite his very poor start, Webber was easily the driver of the day. Massive shame he couldn’t get onto the podium right at the end though. Button was the second best driver of the day.

Vettel’s extremely quick but he has it too easy. I want to see him start in the midfield and see if he has overtaking abilities.

Glad to see Massa beat Alonso too!

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 10th April 2011, 10:49

agree with this – it was a good race but we haven’t seen a good battle for first place.

DRS was good in this race, although it did seem completely unfair on Webber at the beginning. Really good recovery drive by him

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 10th April 2011, 10:54

and a great start/race by Heidfeld I forgot to mention

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th April 2011, 11:02

Actually I put in a 9/10. Pretty much agree on the rest.

I think DRS was a tad too powerfull here, it was better in Melbourne where it just enabled them to keep close. Webbers also looked like it was stuck after running Heidfeld close.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th April 2011, 11:03

Also far to many replays showing nothing special after lap 2, instead of cars fighting on track.

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 10th April 2011, 11:05

yes i tweeted this. why show replays of the start as soon as the DRS is activated?

The coverage wasn’t great either – we kept seeing pitstops instead of overtakes

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 10th April 2011, 12:28

I agree.. the coverage of this race was terrible. For us star sports viewers in Asia, the commercial breaks were timed just when the drivers were chasing each other down the DRS zone. Terrible coverage of a really exciting race..

I rated the race 8/10 btw

• Mike said on 10th April 2011, 14:58

Meh, I think the coverage was very good, I think you have to take for granted that, it being live, you may not see everything. Also, I consider that maybe some people like seeing the replays… I did.

• Pinball said on 10th April 2011, 22:23

I think the FOM coverage was reasonable. The FOM has to make a decision whether to cover a pit stop, or a potential pass. Given that pit stops are such a critical, and often race changing part of the race, I think they made good decisions by covering the leaders pit stops. It’s not like they covered every pit stop. I don’t remember seeing any Lotus, HRT, or Virgin pit stops, they only seem to cover the ones that might have an effect on the race.

If you want to see some truly terrible coverage of F1, come out and watch a race on Australian TV. Here we only get to see qualifying and the race, and depending on which city or region you live in, qualifying might be delayed. In the race itself, One HD the station that shows the race will have I would say at least 10, 3 to 4 minute ad breaks during the race, and usually time them so that you miss something exciting that happened. They’ll usually cut from the BBC commentary, and say something like “looks like pit stops are about to start, so we will go to break”, and when they come back, pit stops are finished, or they’ll say “looks like it’s about to rain, lets go to break”, or “looks like so and so is going to pass so and so, good time for break”. Also yesterday, coming back from breaks, they managed to show replays out of order, which were totally confusing. Why they can’t find a better way to show the ads, is beyond me. Well, my theory is because they don’t really care about the viewers experience.

Anyone who has access to the BBC feed doesn’t know just how good they have it compared to the rest of the world.

• Izzy said on 11th April 2011, 22:04

Re: Aussie TV. A few years ago in the UK we had ITV doing the television coverage. That had ads in. So we Brits do understand what you’re going through :(
            We are very lucky with the BBC coverage. Especially because they shove other programs onto other BBC channels for it. Honestly, F1 is the only reason I pay for a TV license.

• Eric said on 10th April 2011, 11:37

The DRS was interesting. Sometimes the effect was really pronounced and other times it wasn’t. I found this to be an entertaining race, You really didn’t know who was going to finish where until the last couple of laps.

• Andy W (@andy-w) said on 11th April 2011, 12:20

It was KERS problems that affected Webber at the start of the race and dropped him down the field not DRS.

• Vettel on course to usurp Hamilton’s tally of victories this season, could worsen the Ham-McLaren relationship.

• infy (@infy) said on 10th April 2011, 11:01

I wonder what the secret to Lotus’s great start was? Reminds me of 2006. That traction off the line was just amazing.

Alonso’s DRS glitch was a bit unlucky. If it was working he wouldnt have had to take such measures just to get passed Lewis. You can blame the DRS for being too easy, but its the same for everyone (as long as everyones is working ;))

• I reckon it’d the exhaust blown diffuser (EBD). Renault previously said their fuel efficiency allows them to carry around 10% more fuel if required, and my guess is that Renault are using some of this at key moments of the race for the EBD, similar to RBR in qualifying.

They also have set-up for higher top-speeds looking at the speed trap, which with KERS + start straight, helped them get the jump. This set-up combined with the above method of dynamically adding downforce, could be quite an advantage for passing/keeping cars behind.

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 10th April 2011, 11:08

yes, i’ve heard that Renault’s traction in the low speed corners is fantastic so this will obviously be a factor in the starts.

• Eric said on 10th April 2011, 11:49

The start was impressive and the speed at the exit of some corners was great. That Renault was very fast at the exit of turn 14 which I feel is key to Nick staying in front of Webber. Nick had a good day today, so did Petrov until he went for a joyride. I hope his back is ok.

• Klaas said on 10th April 2011, 11:04

Well it already worsend the Ham-Vettel relationship (at least that’s what I understood from Lewis’ latest comments).
        9/10 for this race. Glad to see Kobayashi taking points again. You can barely say that Alonso was beaten by Massa, the guy was fighting for a podium without DRS, while Massa was in his usual place.

• Expat64 said on 10th April 2011, 11:15

Well..2 GP’s in and guess what..F1 is still rubbish, the racing is even more boring as it now comes down to gimicks, and pit stop & tyre lottery.
      wondering who will pit, who’s KER’s or DRS will or wont work makes a joke of the sport, wont watch anyomre of this season utter crap, far better racing in touring car and NASCAR. Nice one Berine, you failed again.

• alexander said on 10th April 2011, 13:27

8/10 and glad to see massa beat alonzo even with a srewed pitstop
      but the bbc tv coverage was terrible

i mean filming a pitstop while an overtake was going on. hardly any onboard shots and i don’t recall the camera picking up a lotus, virgin or hispania. When there was a yellow flag the commentators had no idea that a hispania had retired. F.O.M really have to get the onboard coverage up to scratch. on freeview driver tracker again! we want f1 onboard

The forum was just as bad because they just cock about and don’t analys the race. they only talk about mclaren and red bull and at the end a quick mention for ferrari. They didnt go through any of the overtakes bar the start and the hamilton alonzo incident. hardly any interviews just the brits.

2. SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 10th April 2011, 10:46

9/10. Loses a point for no battle for first place. Otherwise, just what we want to see!

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 10th April 2011, 10:57

I’d say 8 out of 10. I’d have given it a 9 if someone caught Vettel and a battle for the lead came about.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th April 2011, 11:05

In the end I gave 9/10 as Lewis got really close to make Vettel sweat, guess thats the best we were going to get.

Shame Button did not get close enough after that, or the team was afraid to let him.

With some 30 laps in it was so much action it was hard to know where to look. Still FOM missed quite a bit of action I guess.

3. CapeFear (@capefear) said on 10th April 2011, 10:46

Tires are a joke, thanks for nothing Pirelli.

• matt88 said on 10th April 2011, 10:53

it’s just what they were asked for…

• It does demonstrate how a driver works with or to an extent against his car. Webber was trading FLAP with driver’s who were able to run one stop less than him.
        It leads me to think that in prior years he wasn’t so much unlucky but rather ‘hard’ on the car, resulting in multiple failures.
        I’m enjoying watching this element of the race this year.

• RSWF1 said on 10th April 2011, 11:31

err he was so hard on his car last year he didnt have a single mechanical DNF, while Vet had 3. Web was trading FLAP’s with cars that had an extra .3 sec per lap with a touch of a button… he finish 26secs behind the leader having completed an extra stop, being completely swamped to the first corner…again KERS related (so unless Web had a particularly hard formation lap, i don’t see how that failure can be hi fault? )

• Very fair call re last year; I’m just concerned that on the Pirelli’s he’s needed an extra stop compared to Vettel. Hopefully it was just the KERS & traffic that was the difference this race, doesn’t excuse Melbourne though.

• RSWF1 said on 10th April 2011, 12:06

Rear suspension issue was the reason for Melbourne’s dissapointment…though having had two disasterous GP’s to start the year with he is still only 4 points from 2nd in the WDC.

• boris the one-eyed gerbil said on 10th April 2011, 11:04

Tyres are brilliant, with different strategies working – Webber has a shocking start, does a 4-stopper and charges through the field (repeatedly) and Kobayashi does a 2-stopper and finishes very well :)

Much better than last year’s battle to be first to pit and then keep that position to the end of the race :(

• The tyres are excellent – different drivers in different cars are throwing up different results. Hamilton being forced to pit late on is the perfect example of the unpredictability Pirelli have delivered.

• Eric said on 10th April 2011, 11:58

I’m not passing judgement yet. I think that you should give them a few rounds to see how everything turns out. Lots of people found this race entertaining. I found it both entertaining and confusing in that I didn’t really know who was where on the track. Its one of the few times I have been somewhat mystified and happy at the same time.

4. FullSpe3d (@dryyoshi) said on 10th April 2011, 10:46

7. Great start with the Renaults and exciting racing. Got kinda bored after the halfway mark, but the last 10 laps made up for that. Well done Heidfeld!

5. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 10th April 2011, 10:47

Objectively, a race with pretty good action. But with all the hype before it, I can’t help feel disappointed how predictable it was at the front.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 10th April 2011, 12:00

Thats what made it an eight in my book, you can hardly blame Vettel, but I reckon Heidfeld rather interfered with our chance to see Hamilton actually preassure Vettel for the first half of the race, after which he may have fallen away anyway.

McLaren made some baffling decisions with Hamiltons strategy, didn’t he have the same number of soft tyres as Vettel and Button, why did he do two stints on the prime? They made life a lot harder for themselves it seems.

This was a great race for on track action, but not really for intrigue, that might be a problem of the multi stop pirelli’s.

I still give it an 8 on my own enjoyment at the time, great drives overtakes etc. But it won’t live long in the memory.

• pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 10th April 2011, 13:01

Totally with you Scribe on the baffling strategy for Hamilton. Although initially I was guessing they were trying to jump Vettel during the stops. It almost seemed to play out that way when Vettel ended up behind I think Button and Massa.
        But and it’s a big but, Vettel was just too good to be slowed down and got the passing done by the next lap.

Who says he has no racecraft?

On this occasion I think Lewis could have been more aggressive in the first stint, attacking Heidfeld. He certainly didn’t benefit from tyre preservation if that’s what was going on…

6. Scribe (@scribe) said on 10th April 2011, 10:47

Great race, rubbish result, 8.

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 10th April 2011, 11:01

Rate the race, not the result.

• RIISE (@riise) said on 10th April 2011, 11:11

I think 8 is about fair for this race, it could’ve been better.

• driftin said on 10th April 2011, 11:16

How? A battle for the lead, rain, more incidents similar to Petrov’s aerial moment, more battles similar to Alonso vs Hamilton…

• RIISE (@riise) said on 10th April 2011, 11:30

A wet race half way through would’ve been interesting. We should get that next week though.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 10th April 2011, 11:50

@Alex Bkk. Well, although there was plenty of action for the lead, the result was fairly nailed on.

The battles were lots of fun but nothing really spectacular. The race was tense but not like say China last year when it was all crazy, that got a 9, or Canada were everything was in doubt for the whole race, which got a 10.

Great, but not spectacular, a very solid 8, but not a race that’ll be remembered for a long time so instead of 9 or 10 which I reserve for true spectaculars, it gets an 8.

If Hamilton/Button/Webber/Alonso had been in a position to make Vettel scrap for his win rather than coast as per usual, I’d have enjoyed this more.

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 10th April 2011, 11:50

*battles for position* None for the lead.

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 10th April 2011, 12:24

Well, I think that no one was really gonna touch Vettel going into this race… I just followed the ermmm… lower elements.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 10th April 2011, 11:31

I agree, a battle for the lead really makes a race that much more exciting. It can make an otherwise 6 an 8 and a lack of it can make an 8 a 6

• Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 10th April 2011, 11:49

I thought it better because of the tyres. Ham pitted took on primes and the rest of the field went on options. It looked like he had it in the bag, except the primes didn’t last.

KERS is working, or it’s not working. Flippy Floopy wing is working or it’s not working.

I guess it’s true in retrospect that Vettel was never really challenged. But we never really knew that. What we did saw a lot of racing thorough out the grid.

It’s not just the no.1 spot on the podium that makes a great race.

7. Doance (@doance) said on 10th April 2011, 10:48

that was fantastic. the last 15 laps or so were fantastic. with webber fighting his way up, almost getting a podium. riveting race. finally, a vettel win that wasnt boring!

8. Lachie (@lachie) said on 10th April 2011, 10:48

6/10

Overtakes and minor events can’t make up for the fact that if Vettel is on pole and is in front at the first corner then the race on the whole will be a snooze.

If the lead is never under threat (and let’s face facts it NEVER was) then really we’re just picking for scraps in trying to find excitement lower down the field.

9. DavidS (@davids) said on 10th April 2011, 10:49

9/10 – Lots of good battles, plenty of overtakes, a few spectacular performances. The threat of rain is often just as entertaining as proper rain.

10. glue (@glue) said on 10th April 2011, 10:50

I haven’t seen it, I was only reading the live blog and watching live timing so I will not rate it at this point..but based on what I’ve read, I would give it a 8/10 because the action seemed a bit too reliant on tyres, KERS and DRS (or on Kers and DRS failing to work)

11. sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 10th April 2011, 10:50

If we needed a race to prove that Button handles his tyres better than Hamilton, this was it

12. Peter said on 10th April 2011, 10:51

Well for the borefest Vettel’s win was Webber made up for it with his drive up to 4th, was hoping he would get the podium but still a great drive.

13. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 10th April 2011, 10:52

10/10 – I don’t remember a single lap of the race where something wasn’t happening, be it a pit-stop, overtake or a close battle.

Hamilton vs Alonso finished and it cut straight to Massa vs Webber then it was back to Heidfeld vs Hamilton then back to Webber vs Heidfeld.

Absolutely amazing race. Loved all of it.

14. adamf184 (@adamf184) said on 10th April 2011, 10:53

Good race, enjoyed it. Shame Heidfeld held up the Mclarens for the first stint, helped take pressure of Vettel again.

Im looking forward the Mclaren explanation for Hamiltons tactics…I couldnt see the up side of hard then hard again at that stage of the race!?

15. Darren said on 10th April 2011, 10:53

7/10 some great battles especially webber/kobayashi then webber/massa and webber /heidfeld. Love the way Kobayashi drives , its like watching him in a kart race. Webber driver of the day, if you said he was gonna miss a podium by 1 sec after lap one, people would have called you crazy. People seem to be saying bad things about the Pirelli’s-THEY WERE TOLD TO MAKE A TYRE THAT DEGRADES QUICKLY..

1 2 3 5