Rate the race: 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Malaysian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (3%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (17%)
  • 8 (40%)
  • 9 (24%)
  • 10 (6%)

Total Voters: 556

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Renault/LAT

175 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

1. AndresM (@andresm) said on 10th April 2011, 11:21

I rate it 8/10. Mainly because there was no battle for the lead.

It is a pity that Kubica is not out there. Because honestly I am getting bored of seeing Vettel’s finger and listening to his philosophical crap on the radio. I even prefer HAM winning

I hope Ferrari reacts and gets closer the the RBR’s in quali.

2. Adrian Morse said on 10th April 2011, 11:25

8/10, even though as a Hamilton fan this race left me in a sour mood.

What baffled me about this race was not so much Hamilton’s strange strategy, although especially with the benefit of hindsight that the race was about 6 laps too long for him, his early stops turned out pretty badly, but that Hamilton seemed to have no pace on the hards whatsoever. After the stop that saw him lose position to Button, for instance, it wasn’t like he was putting in a string of fast laps that ate up the tyres. He was immediately slower than Button, and unable to put any distance between himself and Webber, who had much older tyres. And still his tyres went away earlier than anyone else’s.

Finally, it’s strange that at the end of the race, on presumably newish tyres, we didn’t see him producing a fast lap; yesterday in qualifying we saw him doing 1m37s on the hard tyre, but in the last 3 laps of the race he didn’t manage to go below 1m40s.

• I could not agree with you more. I dont know what the hell happened to the pace of the car after the hards came on

• Himmat S. said on 10th April 2011, 11:53

The pace of the car was off even on the softs. Something strange happened to the McLarens (Lewis’ in particular) after qualifying yesterday. His pace just went ‘off a cliff’!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th April 2011, 12:01

Watching Button in the Red Button, it might have been a bit of a difference between them in how they went at tuning in to the tyres. Button was unhappy in his first stint (he went too overseary in setup) and had the front wing adapted at each stop to get better and better.

3. I’d say it was 8/10. It would have been nice to see a genuine fight for the lead but Vettel was hugely impressive.

But seeing Kobayashi in dog fight after dog fight, seeing Alonso and Hamilton duel, seeing Di Resta pick up another point and beat Sutil – made for a great race in my books.

There were great overtakes for almost every position behind 1st.

Just hope Petrov hasn’t hurt his back with his aerobatic display. Not sensible to gun it off the kerb!

4. Jarred Walmsley (@jarred-walmsley) said on 10th April 2011, 11:29

9/10 not a 10 because as many have said, there was really no challenge for the lead but the rest of the race was about as good as it gets, lots of overtaking, lots of drama, good challenges for 2,3,4,5. All in all a very good race.

Also, I also would like to add my wishes to the fact that Petrov didn’t injure himself too badly during his crash.

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 10th April 2011, 11:33

Great race! So much to say…don’t know where to start. I was really expecting rain here and without it the race didn’t disappoint.

I hope that was a blip from Petrov and he’s not back to 2010 ways, pretty confident he won’t be though, he had a good weekend up to that point and another fantastic start. Just a little giddy to get back on the throttle.

6. gnvour (@) said on 10th April 2011, 11:36

7/10
    On the plus side, we have seen how important it is to get the strategies right this year as the performance drop-off of the soft tires was pretty steep from some point onwards. DRS and KERS really made a difference both in keeping the show high and in the drivers being more alert about these systems. (It seemed to me all the radio conversations between the teams and drivers were about KERS and DRS).
    But on the downside we have tyres that intentionally degrade, electronics that are meant to increase the show and drivers trying to strike balance between speed and tyre longevity. On a personal note, I sort of miss the lets-see-who-is-faster days with no strings attached. But a good race overall

7. Nathan89 (@nathan89) said on 10th April 2011, 11:37

I gave it 8/10. The race would have been better without the DRS and a few less pitstops. The DRS just makes battles for position too short, they’re done and dusted within a straight rather than over a lap or two. And I think 3-4 pitstops per race is too many. Too much trying to conserve tyres. I think 2-3 is better, it would allow the drivers to push the tyres a bit more.

8. RSWF1 said on 10th April 2011, 11:38

Renaults are amazing off the line. Webber had a good race except fot the first 500m…Great to see a Red Bull charging through the field rather then doing a parade lap out in front. Kudos to Vet for the win, but i want to see him come from mid pack and actually have to fight for a race.

9. wigster (@wigster) said on 10th April 2011, 11:39

8/10.
    It was a good race only really lacking in a real challenge for Vettel.

There were lots of battles right down to the midfield which were good, a range of stratergies including 2, 3 and 4 stops. There were a few surprises too which was good. The DRS also seemed to help overtaking without making it inevitable.

It could have been better if there had been a real challenge to Vettel, with the lead changing hands and uncertainty who’d win.

10. mild7nick said on 10th April 2011, 11:39

5/10 – poor tyres and too many pitstops made for contrived racing instead of drivers battling flat out.

geek fact for you all, apart from the start at Malaysia last year Sebastien Vettel hasnt passed a single car in any of the 12 wins so far in his career

11. Orishas77 (@orishas77) said on 10th April 2011, 11:46

I went for 8/10
    Better race than Melbourne.
    Lots of fighting, of overtaking and unpredictable result until last lap ! It’s been some time !
    Of course no fight for 1st place, but it might have gotten interesting if Alonso had succeeded in his move on Hamilton.
    Alonso was the big surprise for me after poor performance until sunday.
    Renaults
    Makes China race look promising !

12. Orishas77 (@orishas77) said on 10th April 2011, 11:47

I went for 8/10
    Better race than Melbourne.
    Alonso was the big surprise for me after poor performance until sunday.
    Renault drivers also did great after almost no miles on Friday ! That got me totally wrong with my predictions
    Makes China race look promising !

13. Sparrow said on 10th April 2011, 11:51

Very exciting race, always something happening, but not a great one – too much fumbling around: I’d score it 8. It underlined the opportunities available at the front this year – apart from Vettel – around 6 others had a chance of tasting champagne. And in Vettel’s case he was fortunate Heidfeld got behind him and in front of the McLarens (and Ferraris) or he would have had a real race on his hands, and perhaps then it would have been a ‘great’ race. The impact of KERS was clearly demonstrated at the start by the way Webber went backwards! But I remain puzzled – why is a device that is supposed to be charged by energy recovery from the car in motion during the race allowed to be used at the start when clearly no energy recovery has yet taken place.

14. Erik said on 10th April 2011, 11:52

An 8 is as high as it gets for me when there’s no real battle for first place. I rated Melbourne a 7 so it’s going well so far for 2011.

15. mild7nick said on 10th April 2011, 11:54

apologies lachie, you are correct!

it would be nice to see him have to fight for a win though wouldnt it, just wish mclaren would walk the walk before talking the talk.