Rate the race: 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Malaysian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (3%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (17%)
  • 8 (40%)
  • 9 (24%)
  • 10 (6%)

Total Voters: 556

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Renault/LAT

175 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

1 3 4 5
  1. Chalky (@chalky) said on 10th April 2011, 16:52

I originally voted an 8.
    Sorry for ruining the result after the event, but after that ludicrous stewards decision on Alonso & Hamilton I want to drop my score to a 7.

2. sid_prasher (@) said on 10th April 2011, 18:56

8 for me – lots of action at all stages of the race…stupid penalties handed out in the end – may be for moving multiple times is still ok – but Alonso’s was plain nuts. Perhaps they handed it out knowing that it wont change anything for him.
    Massa was much better today as well.

Didnt like the use of DRS too much…I think it should never be on the straigts…it should be in a place where it ll be a challenge to use.

3. Piffles said on 10th April 2011, 22:34

Pretty good race. Key point for me were:
    – Cars having difference pace at different points during the GP due to the tyres.
    – These differences created movement which was then not completely halted by coming across another car. A slower car could be overtaken.
    – Overtakes were possible thanks to the track being the real deal, a strip of tarmac winding through natural landscape. We didn’t see any car park overtakes today, did we?
    – DRS didn’t really ad much today. It’s not like it created any extra overtakes. It just accelerated the process of some inevitable overtakes.

We could run the same race without KERS or DRS and it would have turned out pretty much the same (even Webber’s rubbish start was, to a large extent, his own doing).

4. Robert said on 11th April 2011, 2:51

Hard to stay awake. I’ve never been into pit-lane geekery dominating F1 but with the restraint that drivers have to exercise now it really is pretty lame as a motorsport.

5. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 11th April 2011, 3:20

7. Great race, one thing annoyed me is that though there were many overtaking but the coverage failed to let us see many of them live.

6. John said on 11th April 2011, 7:24

Just having driver enter pits and 200 million times a race makes the race “exciting” ?
    I dont think so. Im glad I am in the minority here. F1 has degraded dramatically over the last few years,
    How many times would Senna have been penalized if he was racing now? Ridiculous.

7. PJA (@pja) said on 11th April 2011, 17:22

I rated the race at 7.5 and so rounded it up to an 8.

Although it had plenty of action by the end of the race I felt a bit disappointed for two reasons, firstly I expected it to turn in to a wet race when we started getting spots of rain early on and secondly, there was a point somewhere about the first or second stops where Brundle and Coulthard mentioned in commentary that Hamilton and some other drivers were catching Vettel so I thought we might have on track fight for the lead between a few drivers, but alas it seems Vettel had plenty in reserve to maintain his lead.

8. Flyingdog5000 (@flyingdog5000) said on 11th April 2011, 20:26

Can’t say that I’m a big fan of DRS or KERS, but this race may have altered my thinking just a bit about DRS. Nonetheless, the rules about its use are bizarre; something on the order of, hmmm…let me see:

1) Is it daytime? If not, are you in a Middle Eastern country that starts with the letter Q? (If not, ask Nike Lauda what he thinks!) 2) Is it a month ending in Y? If not, do you have body panel fasteners made from Russian Titanium with left handed threads.
    3) Does the full moon come in the first or third week of the month?
    4) Is the car in front of you French? If so, you cannot use DRS, the frogs need as much help as they can get!
    5) If you answer yes to all of the questions (except #4), its not raining, you are on lap 3 or better and Bernie the elf thinks its a good idea…

GO AHEAD AND MASH THE BUTTON!

9. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 12th April 2011, 4:21

I honestly felt like the DRS was too much this time. Complete opposite of Australia. Suddenly any car remotely close to the one ahead seemed able to get by. I still wish they’d get rid of it. Every pass on the front stretch felt like a gimme.

10. TheBrav3 said on 13th April 2011, 1:23

Only thing i have to say is to all the guys who were watching with comercial breaks. I’m sorry for you the whole race was brilliant start to finish…

1 3 4 5