2011 Malaysian GP team review
Lotus made a clear step forward in pace in Sepang.
|Heikki Kovalainen||Jarno Trulli|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’38.645 (-0.146)||1’38.791|
Lotus drivers’ lap times throughout the race:
Kovalainen came within half a second of reaching Q2, the closest Lotus have been under normal conditions.
Running a two-stop strategy, his lap times compared well with Jaime Alguersuari’s and he ended the race right on the tail of the Toro Rosso driver.
Trulli’s anti-stall kicked in at the start and he fell behind Timo Glock, but the Lotus driver quickly re-passed the Virgin.
Coming out of the pits after his first pit stop Trulli locked his tyres and skidded into the gravel. The delay meant he ended up behind Glock and had to pass him again. A clutch sensor failure later put him out of the race.
Chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne said: “A very strong race from both drivers although unfortunately Jarno stopped in the garage with a clutch sensor problem.
“We looked to do a two stop strategy with both cars. We might have struggled with Jarno as his tyre degradation was slightly higher, but it worked well with Heikki.
“Overall our pace was very good at the end, particularly when we were with the leading cars, and we were very close to passing one of the Toro Rossos as we came over the line which shows how we have progressed.”
Made his F1 race weekend debut driving Kovalainen’s car in first practice.
2011 Malaysian Grand Prix
- Hamilton says Sepang driving “didn’t put anyone in danger”
- Domenicali praises Massa’s “return to form” in Malaysia
- 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend?
- Red Bull stay ahead but KERS is still a weakness
- Ferrari on form in race after poor qualifying
- Hamilton called for his extra tyre stop at McLaren
- Renault recover from Friday drama for podium
- Schumacher scores for struggling Mercedes
- Two more retirements “not acceptable” at Williams
Browse all 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix articles
Image ?é?® Team Lotus