2011 Malaysian GP team review
A frustrating start to 2011 continued at Williams as neither car finished again in Sepang.
|Rubens Barrichello||Pastor Maldonado|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’38.163 (-0.113)||1’38.276|
Williams drivers’ lap times throughout the race:
Barrichello was disappointed after qualifying 15th, then picking up a puncture at the start of the race following contact with Adrian Sutil.
Barrichello had to drag his car around an entire lap before getting the tyre replaced. He dropped out with an hydraulic leak after just 22 laps. The team later discovered the problem was related to the lap he’d driven with a puncture.
He said: “This wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót the start of the season I was hoping for and we need to improve.
“Right now we don?óÔé¼Ôäót have a reliable car and we?óÔé¼Ôäóre playing catch up, but the team back home are pushing hard to get things resolved and bring performance to the car”
Maldonado was eliminated in Q1 but was not far off his team mate’s pace – if he’d found another tenth of a second he’d have knocked Barrichello out.
On the third lap his car developed a misfire and he had to retire.
Sam Michael said their performance was “well below expectations in many areas” and “not acceptable”.
He added: “We also have some promising improvements coming through for Shanghai and Istanbul and we need to see how these perform.” These include a new exhaust which Barrichello will run.
2011 Malaysian Grand Prix
- Hamilton says Sepang driving “didn’t put anyone in danger”
- Domenicali praises Massa’s “return to form” in Malaysia
- 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend?
- Red Bull stay ahead but KERS is still a weakness
- Ferrari on form in race after poor qualifying
- Hamilton called for his extra tyre stop at McLaren
- Renault recover from Friday drama for podium
- Schumacher scores for struggling Mercedes
- Two more retirements “not acceptable” at Williams
Browse all 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix articles
Image ?é?® Williams/LAT
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others