Who was the best driver of the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend?

Debates and polls

Start, Sepang, 2011

Start, Sepang, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – Steely stuff in qualifying to snatch back pole position from Lewis Hamilton.

Nick Heidfeld – Not knocked off his stride by his troubles in Australia or Renault’s problems in practice.

Kamui Kobayashi – Fought hard and clean as ever, and made a two-stop strategy work.

Paul di Resta – Showing up very well against his more experienced team mate.

Heikki Kovalainen – Clearly getting the most out of the T128 at the moment.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Narain Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (16%)
  • Mark Webber (10%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (3%)
  • Jenson Button (12%)
  • Fernando Alonso (2%)
  • Felipe Massa (1%)
  • Michael Schumacher (0%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (38%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (1%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (4%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (9%)
  • Sergio Perez (0%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (0%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (0%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (3%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (1%)

Total Voters: 510

Loading ... Loading ...

Australian Grand Prix result

Sergio Perez was voted the best driver of the Australian Grand Prix weekend:

1. Sergio Perez – 36%
2. Vitaly Petrov – 32%
3. Sebastian Vettel – 12%

Rate the Race: Malaysian Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

2011 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

146 comments on Who was the best driver of the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend?

1 2 3 4
  1. Bernard (@bernard) said on 11th April 2011, 18:23

Heidfeld, the top step beckons!

• RIISE (@riise) said on 11th April 2011, 18:47

Agreed.

• RandomChimp (@randomchimp) said on 11th April 2011, 19:23

I really hope so.

• James said on 11th April 2011, 19:40

Unfortunately, only in dream land.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 11th April 2011, 19:50

Agreed.

• Movement (@movement) said on 11th April 2011, 20:51

Why? I really do not think he is anything special. He has not really outperformed Petrov, which shows that he is not really that quick…and he wasn’t when he was racing Kubica…I think good but rather mediocre is what he deserves. Not quick nick…

• Kest (@kest) said on 12th April 2011, 1:25

I agree, he is a decent driver, but I would have loved to have seen what Kubica could do in this car.

• HxCas (@hxcas) said on 12th April 2011, 1:40

Remember Petrov could beat Kubica when he was on form, he’s quick albeit inconsistent

• Mike said on 12th April 2011, 10:38

Well, in this race he clearly did out perform Petrov. I think time will tell, but to be honest. Even if you don’t like him, consider maybe the top step beckons because it’s alluded him for so long?

• Movement (@movement) said on 12th April 2011, 12:06

in retrospect, I agree he probably deserves a win having come so close in many occasions – I dont dislike him – I think he is good, but not as good as Kubica, while many people think he is. I am also not determined to stick to this opinion of him, if people can show me why they rate him really highly, I could try also!

• Spaulding (@spaulding) said on 12th April 2011, 21:49

Petrov couldn’t keep the car on track enough to bring it home. If you can’t finish, you might as well not even of shown up. Heidfeld beat Petrov by a mile (or several as the case may be). Period.

• BBT (@bbt) said on 14th April 2011, 7:16

Well actually he has outperformed Petrov apart from when half the side of the car was missing.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 11th April 2011, 22:28

Heidfeld deserves it. Its good to have him racing the front runners like he did in 2007 and 2008.

• UKfanatic (@) said on 12th April 2011, 1:38

heidfelf despite the bad pit stop and the friday problems showing that despite the break hes still on top of his game

• alex said on 12th April 2011, 1:59

People just dont like Vettel around here… :)

• the sri lankan said on 12th April 2011, 5:25

i dont like him at all…wanna see a new champ this year

• Nigelstash (@nigelstash) said on 12th April 2011, 10:41

Don’t mind Vettel as a person – he’s living the dream and who can blame him. What I dislike is a driver with limited ability winning everything. The Red Bull is an amazing car, but imho there are several drivers who could make it go quicker and who are more complete drivers. Webber is a good guy but in terms of talent he is about on a par with Heidfeld. Vettel is a little better but nowhere near Alonso, Hamilton, Kubica, Button. When he proves he is by battling through the field and managing to overtake – or even by defending fairly! – then I will like him.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 12th April 2011, 14:09

To even come into that situation, he would have to screw up either the qualyfing or the start. Which he didn’t in 2011. So far you can’t do better.
            And when he was behind someone this season, he managed to get past quickly. Massa was nothing more but mince meat.

• leepat0302 (@leepat0302) said on 12th April 2011, 19:58

+1 Spot On Most of the field could win races in the RB7 and Hamilton, Alonso, Kubica, Button could make a lot easier job of it in that car

• David-A (@david-a) said on 12th April 2011, 22:23

@ Nigelstash-

Kubica didn’t prove himself to be much better than Heidfeld, so he hasn’t proven himself as a driver as good as Alonso or Hamilton in my eyes.

Vettel had numerous battles through the field in the Toro Rosso, and is simply an excellent qualifier, which is why he doesn’t often need to battle through the field in the Red Bull. I only rate Alonso and Hamilton slightly ahead of him.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 12th April 2011, 22:24

Spot on dennis. I can’t believe people are criticising him for being too good this year so far.

• Movement (@movement) said on 12th April 2011, 12:12

Vettel is hugely arrogant…as is hamilton, alonso, schumacher…and that is something which unfortunately you have to expect from young sports starts these days, but its a bit irritating. I would say most people around here have plently of respect for vettel’s abilities as a driver, which is ultimately what matters.

The ares that actually irritates me about him however is his radio messages. Cyring in Abu Dhabi 2010. Sorry but I thought that sounded ridiculous – think back to Button’s ‘we are the champions’ and you know what you’d rahter hear broadcast around the world! Then this season, his radio messages have been so arrogant, as though he runs the team, he really is positioning himself to be no.1. He deserves huge respect for his driving, but he easily irritates me. Oh and I should add that I do not pretend to know anything about his personality other than through clips from the races and media, and I am sure that it is a different person off the track or whatever – I do not assume that I know anything about him but what little I see can irritate. then again, I love watching him in Q3 when you know he is going to bring some insane pace. Then I love him, because it is special to see.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th April 2011, 12:47

An arrogant F1 driver, you say?

Whatever will be next? Fluffy sheep?

• actually irritates me about him however is his radio messages.

well you can mute your T.V you dont wanna hear his radio messages..!! lol

• Coefficient said on 12th April 2011, 15:45

Indeed, I just want to punch him when he says time after time “that’s what i’m talkin about” when he wins yet another
            race from pole in his flexi-bull.

I’d love to see him handle Hamilton in equal machinery. He’d crying for a different reason then!!

• alex said on 12th April 2011, 21:23

1) In quali, Mclaren is as faster as RB (at least the last Saturday). Vettel was the difference.

2) You cannot blame him for winning from P1. Senna won 29 times starting from Pole.

I do think most here just want to see Hamilton/Button doing the same…
            Vettel is fantastic and I wonder how happy Newey is for finally having someone to give his cars what they deserve. :) Except for Mika (98/99).

• BBT (@bbt) said on 14th April 2011, 7:21

Agree, but that is not surprise is has always been the case with the top professional sportsmen in all sports (not just the young), unfortunately is one of the traits that gets them to the top in the first place.

• nik (@nik) said on 12th April 2011, 10:03

I know that there is a habit in these to go for a guy who didn’t win the race but performed well, but in both races so far this year Vettel has really been head and shoulders above everybody else.

It is easy to overlook because we expect him and RB to qualify first and to win, but remember that he has had car problems and still managed to coast home.

He gets my vote on both races, and I am by no means a fan of the German

• Bernard (@bernard) said on 12th April 2011, 12:51

Whilst I agree with your reasoning nik, unless Vettel does something out of the ordinary on route to victory I have a hard time giving him the accolade (anything other than a win for Vettel would be sub par at the moment).

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th April 2011, 10:24

He really shows he is a Quality driver. And a nice bloke. Look at this open letter to Kubica!

2. matt88 (@matt88) said on 11th April 2011, 18:23

My vote goes to Nick the Quick. he had some rust after a year away from F1 – and in Melbourne he was obscured by Petrov – but yesterday he showed he’s one of the best replacements for Kubica. Maybe the Pole’d have done something better, but Renault seem in a pretty good shape right now.

• Movement (@movement) said on 11th April 2011, 20:52

How can you base all that on one race? as you say yourself, in melbourne he was eclipsed by petrov…and we know that petrov really is not very fast at all.

• Heidfeld was more unlucky than anything in Melbourne. Missed Q2 thanks to a very slow Hispania and then carried quite substantial sidepod damage from the first lap in Melbourne after contact with Alguersuari (I think).

• UKfanatic (@) said on 12th April 2011, 1:43

he was bad on qually thats a fact but in the race it wasnt his fault

3. dim23 (@dim23) said on 11th April 2011, 18:32

I voted for Webber, started without Kers lost 6 positions, and fought his way back to 4.

• adamf184 (@adamf184) said on 11th April 2011, 18:39

Same here! Dont forget his superb pass round the outside of a KERS’d up Massa. Surprised he didnt get a mention in the article.

• Mads (@mads) said on 11th April 2011, 18:43

It wasn’t the lack of KERS that made his start bad. It was just a bad start, made worse by the lack of KERS. A solid drive back, but the start was very poor.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 11th April 2011, 20:07

Completely agree.

• Jarred Walmsley (@jarred-walmsley) said on 11th April 2011, 20:12

As did I, very impressive drive, I think he could well have been challenging at least Button for 2nd place if he hadn’t had the KERS failure.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 12th April 2011, 2:16

Whilst I think Webber was the best driver on Sunday (only just edges out Heidfeld), I wasn’t going to miss an opportunity to vote for Nick. I am not a fan, but I do hope he wins a race this year. I also hope Petrov wins a race. That would be quite amusing.

• Macca (@macca) said on 12th April 2011, 10:39

Whilst I think Webber was the best driver on Sunday, I wasn’t going to miss an opportunity to vote for Nick.

That right there is why these polls hold no weight. You admit Webber was the best driver but still don’t vote for him. I think the name of these polls should be changed to “Who is the driver you like better”

I voted for Webber, yes he got a bad start but with KERS I think he would have only dropped 1 or 2 spots. To fight back through the field without KERS was a superb effort. He showed raw pace and never gave up, almost grabbing a podium haveing done 1 more stop than most other contenders.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 12th April 2011, 15:05

That’s quite a silly statement to succeed my comment in which I stated I was not actually a fan of Heidfeld… :P But Webber wasn’t the best of the weekend. He was the best on Sunday. Heidfeld was the best of the weekend – so I voted for him.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th April 2011, 15:30

So where have all the Perez and Petrov fans gone, then?

• Victorinox said on 12th April 2011, 16:32

4. TheVillainF1 (@thevillainf1) said on 11th April 2011, 18:33

Kobayashi for sure. When voting for these things many just look at the front runners, but again a little further to the back Kamui showed great racecraft – what a battle with Webber! – had great pace overall AND made a two stopper work for him. Great quali getting into q3 as well.

• dim23 (@dim23) said on 11th April 2011, 18:40

Many look at the front runners because there is more drama there, whilst Kobayashi story is a bit different, he doesn’t feel pressured by his teammate and nor he’s expected to bring podiums or wins just a few points there and Sauber will be happy. But for sure he deserves, very good action from him again, he maybe deserves a place at Ferrari more than Massa does.

• Leggacy (@leggacy) said on 11th April 2011, 19:08

Agreed! probably one of the most entertaining drivers to watch on track. knows how to pass. Also knows when to let the other guy through. Can’t wait to see how he does at Suzuka this year.

• BS (@bs) said on 11th April 2011, 21:07

Agreed, good drive along with some excellent fights, especially his first stint duel with Webber was very impressive. Sauber have the ugliest Livery on the grid, but he makes the car great to look at.

Good to see DiResta getting a mention too, too bad he didn’t end up in the points. Beating Sutil right away, driving a very solid race.

5. Vanja said on 11th April 2011, 18:38

he’s the only man that brought some fun in the race, great overtaking. hamilton screwed him up by slowing down, except that great race

6. Vanja said on 11th April 2011, 18:39

lol, forgot the name ALONSOOOO :)

• dennis said on 11th April 2011, 18:53

Yeah, crashing into Hamilton is not as easy as he made it look!

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 11th April 2011, 19:05

Without the crash I guess I would have voted for Alonso, he clearly got more out of the car than was in it. But then he blew it, which is okay, he is only human after all, but the best driver must be someone who didn’t crash.

• Laranja Mecanica said on 12th April 2011, 22:52

Yeah, well, I would have voted for Alonso for anything that came between his awful start and the crash (he should have expected the weaving, the brake-testing and all-out unsportmanslike attitude from LH anyway).Too bad we were deprived of a clean, non-DRS overtaking, something to replay millions of times over, like Brazil 2007.

Anyway, counting everything, FA was pretty good but not the best out there in Sepang.

7. RandomChimp (@randomchimp) said on 11th April 2011, 18:45

Oh performance at Melbourne, it stang
    And the haters all came out and sang,
    They thought he was finished,
    His quickness diminished,
    But he came back for third in Sepang.

8. Younger Hamii(Formerly Younger Hamilton) said on 11th April 2011, 18:45

No One

9. George (@george) said on 11th April 2011, 18:49

I’ll go with Heidfeld, he combined a quick and tidy race with some punchy overtaking at the start and solid defense vs. Hamilton and Webber.

10. mole (@mole) said on 11th April 2011, 18:50

I was tempted to vote for Alonso’s “Don’t worry, I’m pushing…” comment, which made me chuckle. However, for my serious vote it was Webber! He made a great comeback drive, and it reminded me of a thought common in football – good teams dont always win 7-0, they win when they shouldnt. Webber clawed back a lot of points after that disastrous first lap, a few more laps and he may have been third from 10th!

11. Nin13 (@) said on 11th April 2011, 18:51

I voted for QUICK NICK, for proving all those who were criticizing him hat they were wrong and he still has got what it takes.

12. dennis said on 11th April 2011, 18:56

Heidfeld for me as well. The way he kept the Renault under control with Hamilton and later on Webber behind him was wonderful to watch.

Allthough it’s a tough one yet again with the flawless weekend that Vettel put together.

13. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 11th April 2011, 18:57

Sebastian Vettel again the driver of the weekend. He did well to pinch pole by a tenth and controlled the race. Bit pee’d off about his start though.

Lewis Hamilton did a terrible job when he started struggling with his tyres and I’m certain he could have done more to eak out the last 3 laps. Even if he was 5 seconds slower per lap he would have lost less time than pitting.

Special Mention to Nick Heidfield and Paul Di Resta who also had good races.

14. Eggry (@eggry) said on 11th April 2011, 18:57

I voted for quik Nick. even though I like Alonso’s radio “I’m pushin, I’m pushing, don’t worry” very much. If he had not crashed with Hamilton, I would have chosen him.

15. Ral (@ral) said on 11th April 2011, 19:10

Tempting to vote for Kobayashi because he was fighting throughout the race with someone. Webber, Schumacher, Petrov, he doesn’t care.

But voted for Heidfeld. His car is probably a tad slower than McLaren and Ferrari (and of course the Red Bull), so despite the pressure on him to lead the team and his failure to do so in Australia, he stil beat 4 cars faster than him. 3 of which started ahead of him on the grid.

1 2 3 4