2011 Chinese Grand Prix practice in pictures

F1 pictures

A haze of smog hung over the Shanghai International Circuit as practice began this morning.

Here are pictures of the cars in the haze in China.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Renault/LAT, Williams/LAT, McLaren, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India F1 Team, Sauber F1 Team, Team Lotus, Virgin Racing, Motioncompany, Pirelli

45 comments on 2011 Chinese Grand Prix practice in pictures

1. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 15th April 2011, 10:31

The smog is standard for metropolitan China. When I went to the Great Wall I remember looking back in the direction of Beijing. You couldn’t see the city, but you could see where it was – somewhere inside the massive brownish cloud off in the distance.

2. Robert McKay said on 15th April 2011, 11:38

Novelty of the GP and the desire to paint a rosier picture of everything finally evaporated, maybe?

3. Phil said on 15th April 2011, 11:40

Too many pictures of those dull bland looking dark blue cars, when I loaded the homepage I thought it was redbullfanatic.co.uk. More McLaren`s and Ferrari`s please !

4. Todfod (@todfod) said on 15th April 2011, 11:45

If they ever have a Mumbai GP, I can guarantee you that these smog levels will be put to shame.

5. Macca (@macca) said on 15th April 2011, 11:57

Hey photographers, you do relize there are 2 Red Bulls out ther right?

6. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 15th April 2011, 12:03

Hamilton has 3 fingers :o

7. I love the selection today so thanks Keith! I think the first one of Nico is my favourite.

I don’t know why (probably my insane PC) but this year whenever I try to sue the pictures as screensavers they’re a little blurry. Does anyone happen to know a fancy tech trick I could pull to make them more clear? Any help would be much appreciated :)

8. F1 is not any more a novelty in China Bernie.

9. Perf said on 15th April 2011, 13:17

At least he still has his opposable thumb :)

10. chaostheory said on 15th April 2011, 13:39

Some awesome pictures there! Especially first Schumachers one and Vettel coming out of the garage (30th photo). Now I have something good for my desktop, thanks!

11. markshen said on 15th April 2011, 13:54

“Nearby factories which are usually instructed to shut down around the time of the race are instead running as normal.”

Are you sure they were closed last year? People here are just funny and easily influenced by the media. The fact is that it is a normal fog not smog. The media keeps bashing China and makes everything dirty. Shanghai is a coast city and it’s common to have this weather in spring. If you visit San Fransico, you will find it’s much worse. And also this year’s GT1 was held in fog in Abu Dhabi and I found no such harsh criticism.

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 15th April 2011, 14:58

The huge Chinese lettering looks great :)

13. Young One said on 15th April 2011, 15:27

omg, I am glad I don’t live in a Chinese city.

14. Burnout said on 15th April 2011, 17:53

That picture of Vettel’s car from the back (12th pic) looks very ominous. Almost like a sign of things to come!

Jenson doesn’t seem too worried, does he?

15. I like that you put an HRT up as the front of the album