Kubica hopes to leave hospital “within ten days”

2011 F1 season

Robert Kubica, Renault, Valencia, 2011

Robert Kubica, Renault, Valencia, 2011

Robert Kubica says he hopes to be out of hospital within the next ten days.

The Polish driver has been in hospital for over two months following his rally crash at the start of February.

Kubica told Renault’s website: “I am starting to feel a lot better now. My recovery is moving in the right direction: my strength and weight are increasing day on day and as a result I will leave the Santa Corona hospital very soon.

“The mobility of my hand is limited but this is pretty normal in this kind of situation, because the connected arm muscles are still very weak due to the long period of immobility. Things are definitely improving day by day.

“As soon as I leave hospital, I?ll head to my home in Monaco for a short period of rest. Then I?ll move to Dr. [Riccardo] Ceccarelli??s facilities in Italy where I will start a deep rehabilitation program and a preliminary soft training programme.

“The two programmes will gradually cross over based on the speed of my recovery.”

Kubica thanked his supporters who he said had helped his recovery: “I must admit that it?s been overwhelming and, yes, it?s helped me a lot.

“I really didn?t realise that quite this many fans were supporting me. I?m very flattered and I promise them that, when I?m back, I?ll give them my absolute best.”

Robert Kubica rally crash

Image ?? Renault/LAT

39 comments on Kubica hopes to leave hospital “within ten days”

1. Elliot Horwood said on 21st April 2011, 14:44

Good to hear :)

2. BasCB (@bascb) said on 21st April 2011, 14:54

Great news, keep it up Robert!

3. Andy92 (@andy92) said on 21st April 2011, 14:54

Brilliant news, get well soon Robert!

4. DavidS (@davids) said on 21st April 2011, 14:57

Nice to hear that he’s progressing well, but still wow at how long he’s been in hospital, hopefully he could make it to a race (possibly Monaco) as a spectator, I’m sure it would be a very warm welcome.

5. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 21st April 2011, 14:58

This sounds much better in from his mouth. Keep on fighting Robert, we’re waiting for you.

6. d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 21st April 2011, 15:13

To see Kubica in the Lotus Renault GP garage at Monaco would bring a tear to this chap’s eye.

7. Stephen Jones (@aus_steve) said on 21st April 2011, 15:15

good news!

his awesome mosaic came out as well.. check it out!

8. Woffin said on 21st April 2011, 15:22

Would be perfect to see him waving the flag in Hungary in the same way Massa waved the flag in Brazil 2009.

9. mis (@marcin) said on 21st April 2011, 15:40

it’s great to hear finally from Robert!

fingers crossed for him to recover fully.

10. I wish somebody would tell us what the chances are for a comeback, even if its just a guess.

Anyway, My all time favourite F1 driver is getting better so its good news.

Joe,

UKs Number one Robert Fan :D

11. box this lap (@sebashuis) said on 21st April 2011, 16:25

Why am I the first the mention Heidfeld? what about him!

12. If Lauda can come back after a horrific accident to win the championship, then so can Kubica. Bring it! Although now that Heidfeld and Petrov’s been on the podium I’d be unwilling to let any of them go from the team. Difficult.

I say put Kubica in a Ferrari next year.

• bob80 said on 21st April 2011, 17:22

I watched closely Heidfeld and Petrov in last 3 races. Petrov was better on pure pace comparing to Heidfeld in 2 out of 3 weekends but due to different incidents it wasn’t clearly visible. Bearing in mind what Kubica did with Pertov last year Renault will not dwell for long on taking Kubica back. Let’s hope he will be the same driver as before accident.

• HxCas said on 22nd April 2011, 13:39

I really hope he doesn’t go to Ferrari, he’s mates with Alonso but I don’t believe for a second that that would stop them from having a ruthless intra-team battle that would probably hamper Kubica as Alonso is Ferrari’s favoured child. I’m hoping he can find his way into Mark Webbers seat when he decides to move on, or just stay in Renault with the way they are improving.

13. bob80 said on 21st April 2011, 17:03

I have no doubt about Kubica’s come back. Question is if he will be the same driver as before accident. It’s possible (finger crossed it’s not true) that he won’t be able to compete at the same level in F1 any more but he will race somewhere, anywhere he can.

14. Electrolite said on 21st April 2011, 17:05

I think the fact he’s only just come out of hospital speak volumes about how much of a bad accident it was. It’s pretty daunting.

I thought of Lauda as well. I would actually put money on him winning a WDC if he can use his arms just as well and he’s in an even better team than Renault in 2012.

15. Oliver said on 21st April 2011, 17:24

I think it was very bad, much worse than people can even imagine. But Luckily, the surgeons didn’t choose the first option, but tried everything possible to ensure he had full mobility even though restricted initially.
    Wish him the best. He is a stubborn guy though so that should help him get back to a reasonable level of fitness and ability.